• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone

My names dani and I'm new to this site I'm just about to start my degree in english literature and psychology two nights a week. My passion is books I will read anything and everything. I've just finished the Memory Keepers daughter which I thought was one of the most beautiful books I've read and am about to start atonement. I have a boring job so books are my escape as I can't constantly be on holiday. Best wishes to all :D

Hello and welcome Dani from one newbie to another. I have the Memory Keepers Daughter on my pile of books on my bedside table which means it shouldn't be long before I get around to reading it.

Welcome everyone who signed up during the last week, Pauline, beanspuss, danhi h and whiskas. I love Barbara Kingsolver, too, loved the "Memory Keeper's Daughter" and am pleased to have yet another European member. I'm German but live in the Netherlands. And, yes, I know where Serbia is and can understand your frustration.

He he he, Hazel, funny that you mention it but I am already in that position :)
This means you are a true member now. ;)

Hi everyone, I found this forum through google and decided to join in my shameless attempt to promote my self-published book Imagine This.

However, I do love to read too and have currently got a stash of twenty books blinking accusingly at me. I've just finished Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns, which made me cry. I'm still reeling from the emotional rollercoaster.

I've just started The Time Traveler's Wife and so far so good. I think next on my list will be Imran Ahmad's Unimagined, another book that started life as a self-published title and eventually got published by a mainstream publisher. Hmmm there maybe hope for me.

Must dash

Sade :)

Welcome, WiseWords, it's always nice to have more members. You are the first person who loved A Thousand Splendid Suns, most people I heard talking about it have read The Kite Runner and prefer that one. But then, I didn't like The Time Traveler's Wife at all, so we might have very different tastes. That doesn't matter. There are plenty of people here who did enjoy that novel and it's also nicer to discuss if you have different opinions.

Anyway, have fun here.

Hello everyone. My name's Ben, and I've just registered. I stumbled across this forum quite by accident, but I'm glad I did, because it looks like good fun. I'm 18 years old, and currently studying English Literature at The University of Manchester - which is interesting, if a little daunting.

Always been keen on reading and some of my favourite books include - Birdsong (Sebastian Faulks), Moab is my Washpot (Stephen Fry), His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman), A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving), On Chesil Beach (Ian McEwan), Enduring Love (Ian McEwan), The Girl at the Lion D'Or (Sebastian Faulks), Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier), David Copperfield (Charles Dickens), How to Be Good (Nick Hornby), Harry Potter (JK Rowling), A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens), Winnie the Pooh (A.A Milme), To Kill a Mocking Bird (Harper Lee), Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) and The Chronicles of Narnia (C.S Lewis).

Currently reading Atonement by Ian McEwan. Enjoying it lots so far.

At the top of my to-read pile I've got The Road (Cormac McCarthy), about 6 Ian McEwan books, Vernon God Little (DBC Pierre) and Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Louis de Bernieres)

Also watch lots of DVD's. Favourite TV programmes include Doctor Who, The Sopranos, The Simpsons, Six Feet Under, Frasier, 24, Lost and Curb your Enthusiasm. I like to browse the Internet frequently and enjoy walking.

I look forward to contributing to this forum!

Another welcome from me, Ben! Just to say I heartily approve of those choices - there's plenty of my own favourites in your list, and indeed I've only recently replaced Larry David as my avatar! You'll find plenty of threads on many of those choices so do add your thoughts to them and indeed start any other threads that take your fancy.

I studied English myself so I know you have a great course ahead of you - I hope you're settling into it already!

Another welcome from me, Ben! Just to say I heartily approve of those choices - there's plenty of my own favourites in your list, and indeed I've only recently replaced Larry David as my avatar! You'll find plenty of threads on many of those choices so do add your thoughts to them and indeed start any other threads that take your fancy.

I studied English myself so I know you have a great course ahead of you - I hope you're settling into it already!

The course seems to be going okay. We had to read 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad, which was okay, but not really a book I could honestly say I enjoyed. Also got lots of Anglo-Saxon literature to read for the 'Mapping the Medieval' part of the course, which is pretty difficult and challenging.

And it's always good to meet a Larry David fan! Do you prefer Curb or Seinfeld? (I'm a fan of both)

The course seems to be going okay. We had to read 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad, which was okay, but not really a book I could honestly say I enjoyed. Also got lots of Anglo-Saxon literature to read for the 'Mapping the Medieval' part of the course, which is pretty difficult and challenging.

Are you reading the Anglo-Saxon in translation or 'au naturel'?

I enjoy Conrad but I can see he wouldn't be everyone's cuppa.

And it's always good to meet a Larry David fan! Do you prefer Curb or Seinfeld? (I'm a fan of both)

I never really followed Seinfeld avidly - poor scheduling never helped that. So whilst I'd sign my allegiance to Curb it's perhaps not on the most level of playing fields.

Are you reading the Anglo-Saxon in translation or 'au naturel'?

I enjoy Conrad but I can see he wouldn't be everyone's cuppa.

It was okay. I just felt very detached from what was going on, but maybe that was the author's objective?

And, luckily, we're doing the Anglo-Saxon stuff in translation. There's no way I'd be able to manage if we were expecting to read it in it's original form.

I never really followed Seinfeld avidly - poor scheduling never helped that. So whilst I'd sign my allegiance to Curb it's perhaps not on the most level of playing fields.

I prefer Curb. 'The Doll' is probably my favourite episode.

Another welcome from me, PT. I also studied English at Manchester, as part of a Combined Studies course (with Drama and American Studies), and had to read Heart Of Darkness as part of my course. The prose was so thick, it felt like reading a 500 page novel. (Another regular here, Grammath, is also a graduate of Manchester University.)

(Another regular here, Grammath, is also a graduate of Manchester University.)

Indeed I am, of late 1980s/early 1990s vintage when the Happy Mondays/Stone Roses Madchester was in full swing. My degree is in American Studies. In my day, this was a totally seperate department, but I believe it isn't anymore. Bit of a shame, IMO.

Welcome to the site, Page Turner. You're a man of taste, as far as I can see. I'd put "Vernon God Little" at the bottom of your pile, though, a very disappointing novel.

Put me down for that, brightphoebus. ;)

Anyway, welcome to BGO, PageTurner. You have a huge choice of different books which is just the right condition to fit in here. Of the books you read, Cold Mountain was my favourite.

What, no new members today?!

Welcome though to all those who joined us in the last couple of weeks while real life has once more taken over all my internet time.

So a very big hi to:

beanpuss-ciara, John Roberts, dani h, whiskas-sonja, WiseWords-Sade and Page Turner-Ben*.

*Hmm - I think my typo on Ben's name - substituting the n with a d - was trying to tell me something there! yawn

Hello my name is Sharon and i am a readaholic - i found out about this group via Readitswap it site which is an excellent site for getting rid of all those books you will never read in exchange for all those you cant wait to start. I found out about that site through another book group site called 5+bookclub which is also great.

Books i enjoy are mainly crime mystery type thrillers at the moment but i read most things and have quite a diverse range .

Recently read books are The Book Thief Markus Zusak, Tryptich and Skin Privelige by Karin Slaughter, The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, Girl on Times Square (cant remember author but book was awesome)could have been Paulina Simmons??, Memory Keepers Daughter (hmmmm my memory is so bad), The Mill on the Floss (Thomas Hardy). Relentless (Simon Kerrick (possibly)). Sorry i cant always remember the authors!!

Just finished The Solace of Leaving Early By Kimmel Haven and am currently reading A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown.

I love Book Groups. and am in one at my library and one online (see above) - look forward to talking to you all.

Sharon

Welcome to BGO, Sharon, it's lovely to have you here! Where on the web do you find the 5+bookclub? I'm sure some of us (including me!) would like to have a nosy around it!!

Recently read books are The Book Thief Markus Zusak, Tryptich and Skin Privelige by Karin Slaughter, The House at Riverton by Kate Morton, Girl on Times Square (cant remember author but book was awesome)could have been Paulina Simmons??, Memory Keepers Daughter (hmmmm my memory is so bad), The Mill on the Floss (Thomas Hardy). Relentless (Simon Kerrick (possibly)). Sorry i cant always remember the authors!!

A really varied list of recent reads you have there - I'm sure you are going to fit right in. We've got threads about a couple of them, and I have hyperlinked them in your quote so that you can get to them easily to join the discussions. Please feel free to start your own threads on any / all of the rest!

I must say though I'm intrigued that Thomas Hardy also wrote a book called "Mill on the Floss" - I've only read the version by George Eliot! ;)

I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF THIS BOOK .... HIM .... I WOULD LOVE EVERYONE TO GO BUY IT AND READ IT AND POST THEIR VIEWS ... I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND JUST KINDA FEELING MY WAY AROUND AT THE MOMENT :)

GO TO ; http://WWW.AUTHOTHOUSE.CO.UK

AND TYPE IN THE SEARCH BAR ; HIM BY DIANE MARTIN

THE REVIEWS SO FAR ARE VERY POSITIVE AND WHILE READING IT YOU WILL EXPERIENCE EVERY EMOTION POSSIBLE .... ITS REALLY GOOD XXX

I AM THE PROUD OWNER OF THIS BOOK
Owner? Or Author? Or related to/ friend of the author?
I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND JUST KINDA FEELING MY WAY AROUND AT THE MOMENT [

Welcome to BGO, Dippy.

Perhaps a little more time spent 'feeling your way' would have given you a little insight on how we feel on the subjects of SPAM, and the Promotion of books by authors and their associates.

We are very happy for authors to promote their books here, but require them to be honest with us concerning their authorship, and the authorship of any reviews that may have been written by friends/family etc. If we think someone is trying to pull the wool over our eyes we get very upset.

I'm afraid that your three posts all praising the same self-published book has raised some doubts here.

Perhaps you could visit Writers Corner and tell us a little about this book, and how you came to write it? Otherwise reassure us here that you have no connection with the author, and tell us a little about yourself and what your taste in books is.

In either case, we would be pleased to welcome you amongst us, and look forward to your contributions to other threads.

yes i am the author of this book .... my first book i wrote three comments relevant to the place i was posting ... here I said i am the proud owner of this book and aked people to go buy it ... reviews can be read at

http://www.bebo.com/him-Dmartin and theya re all very positive so far so no lies told there ... in fact i wasnt trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes i was advertising my book which i am very proud of and would love for other people to read .... as im sure it would help a lot of people who have been in my situation. .... but i understand if this site is not all about telling people about good books to read and i wont post anything else ... sorry

As I said in my previous post, we have no objection to authors promoting their own books, as long as they say that they are the author and do not imply that they are just enthusiastic readers.

Do post in the 'Biography' forum again and tell us a little about the book (rather than just post a link to "Authorhouse", or your bebo page), making it clear that you are the author.

You will see on other threads that some of our members check Amazon reviewers when a new book by an unknown author is highly praised, as some are not by genuine disinterested readers.

Unfortunately some writers do use friends and family to misrepresent the popularity of their books, and the more straightforward authors are also regarded with suspicion because of that.

I am sorry if this is what has happened in your case.

the link i gave on authourhouse tells you everything about the book and so does the one i gave on bebo ... i did not put links to selling the book i put it to about the book .... and the reviews .... the people who post the reviews also state who they are when they write them and whether they are family or firends ... i am really upset at all your accusations i only wanted to direct people towards an excellent read and i said from the first word i was the owner of the book .... and i was told this was the place to do it but my information was obviously wrong.

... i said from the first word i was the owner of the book ....

...which I read to mean that you owned a copy of the book. Maybe if you'd said that you were the author of the book, suspicions wouldn't have been aroused.