• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suggest that you use the 'contact us' link at the top of the page, explain to Bill what has happened and ask him to remove the old 'you' from the list of members.

Your new name is a bit long for a one finger typist, but I can always refer to you as abitl :D

Welcome, Alan/Atom, don't worry, we'll get you back to your books. ;) And don't worry, we love old threads being dug up again.

Welcome, a.book.in.the.life. Or maybe I should say welcome back. Great when someone returns. I just hope that your new username doesn't mean you are just going to read one book in your life. ;)

Hi robert, you have given us quite a list. I'm sure you find a lot of memberfs to discuss every single book with. We read The Moonstone as a GBO read not too long ago.

Hello new members one and all, especially to those who said hello first here!

Polka Dot Rock-Amy, benmed15, kimberley, Penny72, Atom-alan, a.book.in.the.life.-Kel and robert. Good to have you here! I've been a bit preoccupied the last couple of weeks, so I've not been around to welcome you before. I've been thinking of you all though - wondering what new members we had, and what all the existing ones were up to.

Hello

I'm Anna, & I've always loved reading. It'd be very difficult to say who my favourite authors are because I like so many. Here are a few of my favourites: Margaret Atwood, James Lee Burke, Barbara Vine, D.M. Thomas, & loads more I just can't think of.

I can say for definite what my favourite book is - it's Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (for me, it's perfect).

I rarely get to discuss books, so I'm hoping that these forums will help in that!

I can say for definite what my favourite book is - it's Cannery Row by John Steinbeck (for me, it's perfect).

Hi Anna, welcome to BGO. Sounds like you'll be right at home. I've got Cannery Row on my TBR (To Be Read) pile so I'm taking note of your recommendation and I'll push it up a place or two - thanks!

I rarely get to discuss books, so I'm hoping that these forums will help in that!

Hi anna - they certainly will - are you ready?!

I tried to read Cannery Row last year - someone here recommended it to me to try to change my opinion about Steinbeck (GCSE reading of Of Mice and Men killed it for me!), but I couldn't get past the first few chapters. This is one of the best things about BGO - that we can all love books, but don't have to hold the same opinions as each other. And I am open to conversion again, so feel free to convince me!

Welcome to BGO, elflady, it's good that you have now posted your first few messages.

I hope that you will find our discussions enjoyable. What kind of books do you like? Our members have varied reading tastes, so I'm sure you will find that some of them share your interests, and also that you will be introduced to new (to you) books and writers. I hope too, that you will introduce new ones to us.

Hi Anna, welcome to BGO. Sounds like you'll be right at home. I've got Cannery Row on my TBR (To Be Read) pile so I'm taking note of your recommendation and I'll push it up a place or two - thanks!

You definitely should! It's a wonderfully evocative book, plus it has the most beautiful poem at the end - I think it's called Black Marigolds, & is ... well it had most of the characters in tears when it was read out at a party. I hope you love the book as much as I do!

Hi anna - they certainly will - are you ready?!

I tried to read Cannery Row last year - someone here recommended it to me to try to change my opinion about Steinbeck (GCSE reading of Of Mice and Men killed it for me!), but I couldn't get past the first few chapters. This is one of the best things about BGO - that we can all love books, but don't have to hold the same opinions as each other. And I am open to conversion again, so feel free to convince me!

Those pesky GCSEs! It's a shame you couldn't get on with Cannery Row - I must say that it's the same for me with Of Mice And Men; I've tried several times to read it but haven't been able to get into it at all ...

If it's any help, I think the first few chapters are quite 'slow', so you may find that persistence is required. On the other hand, you may just not like it which is fair enough! Try reading the poem at the end, though - it's lovely.

If it's any help, I think the first few chapters are quite 'slow', so you may find that persistence is required. On the other hand, you may just not like it which is fair enough! Try reading the poem at the end, though - it's lovely.

I'll have to re-request it from the library for the poem! I will try another Steinbeck first and maybe will try to revisit this in a few years.

Hello everyone! I'm Oana, registered a bit ago but lurking for a while. I live in Bucuresti, I'm an engineer and I love to read. It's great to find places and people to discuss with about books.

Welcome elflady-Oana. We seem to be becoming more and more international by the week. I don't think we have anyone else from East Europe.