Bill

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

I found this website searching for places to discuss books. I'm 26 years old, wife and son. I'm just finishing up school and going to be an elementary school teacher. I enjoy all genres of reading. Some of my favorite authors are; Tom Perotta, Douglas Coupland, Richard Russo, and I'm a big fan of the Harry Potter books. Looking forward to future discussions.

Longstanding/firm favourites include Le Tigre, The Clash, Rufus Wainwright, Kenickie, The Smiths, Hole and the Manics

Hi P-D-R, welcome onboard! I've had a look at your reading list and we've read (and enjoyed) quite a few of the same books so I'm looking forward to some recommendations from you.

If you ever feel the need to wax lyrical about the great Rufus Wainwright, please feel free to start a thread on the Anything But Books part of the forum and I will happily join you. My Rufus obsession has been a solitary affair so far on this forum!

It's gender and writing at University College Dublin... It's five years since I've been a student though, so hopefully I'll be able for it!

Sounds fantastic! :D Do you know what you'll be reading yet? I had my list through last month and I was quite scared, lol. (Lots of modernism and heavy-going theorists for my first semester. Eek!)

I'm sure you'll be surprised how quickly you get into the swing of things again, but I do know how you feel: I've only been away for a year but I'm beginnning to panic that I've forgotten stuff already!

Hi P-D-R, welcome onboard! I've had a look at your reading list and we've read (and enjoyed) quite a few of the same books so I'm looking forward to some recommendations from you.

Excellent :) I shall wander over to your list to investigate! Btw - can you post discussion/comments about the lists on that thread? Or is it just for the lists?

If you ever feel the need to wax lyrical about the great Rufus Wainwright, please feel free to start a thread on the Anything But Books part of the forum and I will happily join you. My Rufus obsession has been a solitary affair so far on this forum!

Ooh great - I will try and do that. Keep 'em peeled...

And I love The Hold Steady! :)

Something tells me that I may fit in here, lol!

I think you'll fit in very well here PDR! :)

I've listed a few of the books for my course on the 'just bought/borrowed' thread, but there are more on order and I know more will be added! There's loads of Irish stuff, naturally, but some Greek and European drama also, and Carribbean and Indian novels. Daunting, yes, but the thing is to take one at a time and get stuck in. And it does help that it's really interesting.

It's nice to have someone else embarking on the same kind of course. Always happy to offer a friendly ear when you're stressed PDR. :)

And welcome to BGO benmed15. Another big HP fan here. :)

- can you post discussion/comments about the lists on that thread? Or is it just for the lists?

The thread Book Lists 2007 and the Book Lists 2006 MarkII, plus the Books Read In 200X threads are all just for lists. Any discussion on a particular book should go on a thread for that book (if there isn't one already underway, feel free to start one in the appropriate forum)

Lists posted in the Eng. Lit. Degree Courses thread, or the I just bought/borrowed.... thread can be discussed in general terms, or as a tangent, but lengthy discussion on a specific book would again be better on its own thread.

That makes it easier to find later :)

Btw - can you post discussion/comments about the lists on that thread? Or is it just for the lists?

The Book List thread is really just for that, it gets too messy otherwise and it's much easier if each book or author has their own thread.

ETA: Oops! Hadn't seen Meg's reply!

Hello everyone :) I didn't see this thread before or I would have introduced myself sooner. My name's ... err... Kimberley, I'm an avid reader and lazy writer, from Australia, currently in London. I don't know that there's much else of interest for me to post publicly, and I can't think of any questions just now, though I'm sure I will.

Right now I'm making some slow progress on reading the Booker Prize longlist. But I'm easily distracted.

EDIT: I do have a question. How can I upload an avatar?

Ah, I see! Well, I might feel my way around for a while and find out how I like it. 'Lifetime' is a fairly big commitment, you know.

Meanwhile, thanks for the welcome, David. I suppose I'll be able to spot my fellow Aussies by listening really closely for accents as they type ;)

Welcome Kimberley and Penny, it's always great to "see new faces". I am sure you will enjoy it here, a lot of us really have fun.

As to your question, Penny, the information that you saw a book in Oslo and it's by a female writer is a little bit ... well, too short. Maybe you can describe the book cover or come up with the reason why you are looking for the book, that might help us.

Hi, I'm Alan. Another Australian to add to your group .... it's not really intentional alliteration or I would have said association rather than group. :) Early 40's, BA Journalism & Politics, MA Politics. Currently spending a couple of years doing as little as possible and discovering the internet (or as my ex wife would say - having a midlife crisis.)

Really I've joined to give myself a boot to read more as I've noticed since I've become more computer literate and web obsessed I spend less time actually sitting down with a book. This seems an appropriate way to combine interests.

My tastes range fairly widely and hopefully I'll find some new flavours in here.

Welcome to the group Atom. I am sure you will get a lot out of being a member. Being Australian, I do hope you go to our BGO Book Group Meeting Point and the thread for our next read; we are selecting novels about Australia by Australian writers - you should have lots of ideas there. All will be welcome I asusre you.

Hi, Atom. Welcome to BGO.

You've come to the right place if you want to find new and different books to read. I think most members have found their To Be Read piles increasing since they joined us.

The problem of time spent online instead of reading affects some of us here, though, so there may be a downside if you like talking about books as much as reading them. :rolleyes:

The BGO bookgroup thread Barblue refers to, to choose our Australian book is here

And I expect you could enlighten us further on the subject of this thread, too.

Hi, Atom. Welcome to BGO.

You've come to the right place if you want to find new and different books to read. I think most members have found their To Be Read piles increasing since they joined us.

The problem of time spent online instead of reading affects some of us here, though, so there may be a downside if you like talking about books as much as reading them. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome. I can see that it could be time consuming. My first impulse was to wander through all the book threads and put my tuppence into everything I'd read, but I decided it was probably poor form to dig up too many old threads. :)

... but I decided it was probably poor form to dig up too many old threads. :)

No, no, not at all! Reviving old threads and talking about different books is what it's all about. There will be lots of people who have joined since the thread was last active or who missed it first time round who would be very interested in your thoughts.

Hi, everyone. Love the site.

I'm a fan of good writing in whatever shape or genre it comes, my tastes are quite diverse. My favourite novels are:

'Cloudstreet' - Tim Winton

'Border Crossing' - Pat Barker

'That They May Face The Rising Sun' - John McGahern

'The Moonstone' - Wilkie Collins

'Watchmen' - Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons

'The Bird Artist' - Howard Norman

'Crime & Punishment' - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

'Brass' - Helen Walsh

'White Teeth' - Zadie Smith

'Girlfriend in a Coma' - Douglas Copeland

So hopefully that gives you an idea of some of my reading tastes. Currently reading 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell' by Susanna Clarke and enjoying this, so far and have recently just completed AL Kennedy's 'Paradise'. The stack of books on my shelf that are 'to read' include 'The Damned United' by David Peace, 'Eleanor Rigby' by Douglas Coupland, 'On Beauty' by Zadie Smith and 'Black Swan Green' by David Mitchell.

I love non-fiction too and enjoy rock writing, especially Jon Savage's 'England Dreaming' and John Harris' 'The Last Party'.

I live in Derry in Northern Ireland and am currently studying for a degree in Social Work.

I write too and you can catch more information on me (and my writing) on http://www.myspace.com/gilsentme.

Thanks!

Hi robert!

Welcome back to BGO, after a couple of months' silence. I'm glad you like it here!

I see from your list of favourite novels that you will probably find some 'like minds' amongst us, and am looking forward to seeing more of your comments in the various forums.

Have you visited 'Writers' Corner' yet? I'm sure you will be welcome there if you want to talk about your writing, or about any aspect of developing writing as a hobby or a career.

Welcome to BGO, a.book.in.the.life, so pleased you have returned!

I'm pretty good at recognising names from the past, but yours isn't ringing any bells so I guess you probably used a different on-screen name originally.

We had a major crash in the spring, and lost all the registrations made in 2006, so if you joined in that time you would have had to re-register anyway.

We rescued quite a few threads that were cached on Google, so if you read some of the restored threads you might come across something you remember posting in your previous identity.

Anyway, whoever you were, we are happy to have you back with us, and look forward to your contributions to the various threads.

Be warned, Wishlists can grow at an alarming rate once you start browsing these forums ;)