Bill

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to BGO, amus1.

Do have fun working your way round the site. Feel free to add your thoughts to any of the discussions. We are quite happy to have old threads resurrected, and re-invigorated by the opinions of newer members.

You will find plenty of threads on the books you like to read, and there are lots of kindred spirits here on the subject of JA and her books.

I look forward to reading your additions to many of the forums.

Isn't it great seeing so many new people joining BGO? Welcome one and all! It isn't obvious from my displayed join date (because of the dreadful 'Crash of Spring '07') but it is actually a year this month since I joined BGO. I am not a terribly regular poster but I am trying to make an effort to join in discussions and especially to review as many of the books that I read as I can. I am particularly pleased that there are so many grown-up lovers of Young Adult and Childrens fiction on BGO, I regularly use the comments here to help me professionally as well as just for my own interest.

So, I just wanted to use this thread to say a big thank you :flowers: to BGO - Bill and all, for giving me so many hours of interesting internet browsing and - importantly so many fantastic book recommendations (my TBR pile has never been so big).

Right, as it is my BGO birthday, me thinks I should head (via the BGO link) to my Amazon wish list for a little gift (or two)..... see ya! :D

Wow, so many new members in just about two weeks.

Welcome pyewacketpaws, GERBAM, Crimen Premeditado, FuchsiaGroan, Mharo, Jules, amus1.

Same as the other members, I'm sorry for the loss of your shop, FuchsiaGroan. We all wish our old shops back but I think we are all guilty in a way by buying in the larger shops, as well.

Mharo, don't worry about your English. If anything, it will be an asset to have you here because you will contribute something from your continent's literature. I love Garcia Marquez and have read the odd Allende but beside that I haven't read any South American literature. So, I'm looking forward to some introductions.

amus1, you are not the only Austen fan around. Many of us really, really love her (including me).

Congratulations, LesleyMP. I joined in December 2005 myself but have (roughly) the same date joining again because of the crash. Somehow it seems like yesterday that I came here for the first time and somehow it seems like I've been here forever.

Welcome to BGO, Yannabeak.

You'll find plenty of recommendations for good books here, so I hope you will enjoy checking them out.

Have fun exploring the forums, and if you find a thread that interests you, feel free to add to it. I hope you will be able to introduce us to some new and interesting books, too, and I look forward to reading your posts.

hey i'm Ash, i'm from London. I've recently been trying to get back into reading novels again, after having a bit of break (been busy with work, and so i've only been reading papers and non-fiction for the past few months!).

This seems like a really cool site....... thanks, Ash.

hey i'm Ash, i'm from London. I've recently been trying to get back into reading novels again, after having a bit of break (been busy with work, and so i've only been reading papers and non-fiction for the past few months!).

This seems like a really cool site....... thanks, Ash.

Hi Ash, Welcome to BGO.

I'm sure you will find that the many book recommendations on here will soon tempt you back into novel reading again. Just explore the various forums, and see what takes your fancy.

If you want to add any thoughts to any of the threads, or ask questions about the books mentioned, feel free to join in.

You could tell us a bit about any of the non-fiction books you've enjoyed, too, if you like. We could do with a bit more activity in the NF forums

We are welcoming a lot of new members at the moment, so if you have just joined, why not introduce yourself here? Tell us a little bit about yourself, what you like reading, and if you have any questions about the site, ask away.

I'm Willie, a Scotsman and a voracious reader for over forty years in the fantasy, horror and SF fields, with dabbles into crime and literary fiction from time to time. My collection runs somewhere over 2000 books, and I intend to re-read every one of them :)

I'm also an author, with six novels published, all in the independent fantasy and horror press. My work has appeared in the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada, Greece, Saudi Arabia and India. There are two more novels coming in 2007/8 and I also have over 150 short story credits in the genre press, many of them Lovecraftain, among the most recent sales being to the Hardboiled Cthulhu, High Seas Cthulhu and Cross-Genre Cthulhu anthologies.

(My newest novel , GENERATIONS, is a Children's fantasy novel, and provides action, adventure, brave teenagers, eccentric adults, and a whole array of magical beasts that must be destroyed.... or befriended. The book is published by Anglo-spanish publisher Libros International. ISBN: 1905988230 :)

The increase in new members seems to have slowed a little (only one a day since I last visited posting a hello!) - clearly reading and it's related activities are more rainy weather things!

Welcome, though, to Yannabeak, Ash, Williemiekle and Tudor Rose. Looking forward to getting to know you!

The increase in new members seems to have slowed a little (only one a day since I last visited posting a hello!) - clearly reading and it's related activities are more rainy weather things!

Welcome, though, to Yannabeak, Ash, Williemiekle and Tudor Rose. Looking forward to getting to know you!

It's related more to the fact that I have taken a break from my MySpace recruitment drive, after I was locked out of my page for a week (back in now). I'm going to be a bit busy for the next couple of weeks, but I'm sure new members will find their way here.

I should clarify what you said though by saying that the average number of new members is around eight to ten a day. Not everyone makes it on to this thread though.

Hello williemeikle, and hello Tudor Rose. Welcome to BGO.

You will find plenty of people here who share your enjoyment of the genres you mention, so explore the various forums, and join in any discussions that take your fancy.

I hope that you will have your reading experience enhanced by the contributions of other members, and that your recommendations and opinions will return the compliment.

I look forward to 'meeting' each of you on many of the threads. :D

Re: joining rate.

As Bill says, not all new members post on this thread. I come across quite a few new names around the board, and although I always invite them to 'introduce' themselves here, not all are comfortable to do that.

The 'welcome to our newest member' line at the bottom of the first page will often have a new name each time I visit during the day (and goodness knows how many I miss). Apart from the spammers with the Russian or Chinese IP addresses, we get a lot of genuine newbies who prefer to read and not post (infelicitously referred to as 'lurkers') Their membership is just as valid, and they are just as welcome, as those of us who never shut up ;)

Although their thoughts would be very welcome should they wish to post them :D

In the month since Bill and Andrew cleared out all those 'spammers' our membership has shot back up to well over the 2,000 mark.

When I read your thread Lesley, I realised that I too have reached my first 'birthday' as a member of BGO and I can think of no finer words to express my heartfelt gratitude to this site than yours.

So, I just wanted to use this thread to say a big thank you :flowers: to BGO - Bill and all, for giving me so many hours of interesting internet browsing and - importantly so many fantastic book recommendations (my TBR pile has never been so big).
Like you, this site has given me so much. My daily visit to see what my BGO friends are talking about is such an enjoyable part of my life. In return I try to give something back; always use Amazon through the site, have a pile of bookmarks ready to take out with me wherever I go (bookshop, library, friends, relatives, etc.) and am constantly telling people about BGO.

Thank you for your kind words - and your kind actions, Barblue. And thank you too to LesleyMP.

To back up further what meg says, there are hopefully no Russian spammers joining any more, as certain email addresses are now banned. We can be confident that, although some might slip through the ever widening net, the majority of new members are genuine - however long they might take to write their first posts.

To any lurkers reading this, you are very welcome - although eventually we would love to hear from you.

Hello all!

I'm Amy and I stumbled across here in a quite mysterious manner... Anyway! I'm here and am looking forward to getting to know the place a bit better :)

I graduated from Manchester Uni in 2006 and returned home in order to earn some money (and try my patience!) as I'll be embarking on an MA in Comparative Literatures at Goldsmiths (SE London). Which is very exciting (for me).

I read mostly contemporary fiction and I'm extending my knowledge of African novelists at the moment.

My favourite novels include:

Nervous Conditions - Tsitsi Dangarembga

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Maus - Art Speigelman

The Crimson Petal and The White - Michel Faber

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

But there are many, many more!

When I'm not reading, I'm also a huge music junkie and love going to small-ish type gigs (in flea pits, preferably lol). Lately, I've been mostly listening to Long Blondes, Regina Spektor Kate Nash, Patrick Wolf, Lucky Soul, The Hold Steady, Arcade Fire and New Young Pony Club. (Longstanding/firm favourites include Le Tigre, The Clash, Rufus Wainwright, Kenickie, The Smiths, Hole and the Manics)

Mmm. That's about it really! I look forward to getting to know you all ;)

Welcome to BGO Amy/Polka Dot Rock - what a great name! I hope you have a good time here, join in the discussion and feel at home pretty quickly. You'll find us a nice bunch when you get to know us all.

What was the "mysterious manner" in which you found us?

I'm Amy and I stumbled across here in a quite mysterious manner...

Communicated to you during an alien abduction? Included in the lyrics to a song sung to you by Elvis in a dream? I'm intrigued, Amy - do tell!

Anyway, my own facetiousness aside, a very warm welcome to the site! You'll find there's plenty here to interest you and we're a really friendly bunch (who only tease one another rarely! ;) )

I'm looking forward to reading more of your thoughts.

Thank you for your warm welcomes! I've just posted my book list on another thread.

What was the "mysterious manner" in which you found us?

Communicated to you during an alien abduction? Included in the lyrics to a song sung to you by Elvis in a dream? I'm intrigued, Amy - do tell!

Weeell... (It was a link on a google search page that someone on another forum posted. I couldn't resist joining another forum! I like variety in my discussions, what can I say?)