No-one else so far has confessed to a particular fixation with Shelley.

Your usual encyclopaedic knowledge of the site might have slipped up here, meg. I think I've posted somewhere my love for Shelley. I lose track of where that might be now...

;)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your usual encyclopaedic knowledge of the site might have slipped up here, meg. I think I've posted somewhere my love for Shelley. I lose track of where that might be now...;)
It did cross my mind that Shelley had been included when you were praising the Romantics, but I didn't think your admiration was quite strong enough to make you "go all weak-kneed and girly".
It did cross my mind that Shelley had been included when you were praising the Romantics, but I didn't think your admiration was quite strong enough to make you "go all weak-kneed and girly".

:D

I think you need to look one post above your previous one, meg! ;)

Hey! I just stumbled to this site after looking for an interesting literature forum for quite a while.

I'm 19 years old and I'm from South America, and I've probably read more local authors than anything else. But I've wanted to branch out for a long time now, and this seems like a nice place to learn.

I am quite ignorant in literature matters and my English is probably rusty nowadays.

And I think that's all...

Welcome Mharo and hope you enjoy the site. South American literature is something I'm not too conversant with except for Aunt Julia and the Scripwriter by Llosa which I enjoyed. Others on this site are fans of Marquez.

Welcome to our latest influx of new members!

TwistedRedhead (or should that be Readhead?!), Broos, pyewacketpaws, GERBAM, Crimen Premeditado, FuchsiaGroan, Mharo - you are all most welcome! I'll put the kettle on!*

What good is a town with no second-hand bookshop? It's just featureless and boring

So what have they replaced you with, eh - Another coffee shop, I bet

*hmm, there's an idea - maybe I'll set up the BGO coffee shop in the corner, I could turn a real profit with all the members we have now, and coffee is supposed to complement reading, isn't it?!

*hmm, there's an idea - maybe I'll set up the BGO coffee shop in the corner, I could turn a real profit with all the members we have now, and coffee is supposed to complement reading, isn't it?!

Can you try and get a liquor licence for you new business, Flingo? I'm partial to a glass of wine with my books... ;)

some of my favourite (fiction)writers are: Jean Plaidy,Fanny Burney,R.Chetwynd Hayes,Lord Byron,Terry Pratchett,Mervyn Peake,Sylvia Plath,Wilkie Collins,Philip Pullman,etc... and I have to confess to a (possibly unhealthy) fixation with P.B.Shelley -

Nice to meet you!

I recently posted a Listmania list of Romance on Amazon.com, and Fanny Burney's Evelina was one of the list.

I also enjoy Terry Pratchett. If you like fairies, look out for Jacquie Rogers, by the way.

Best wishes,

Rowena Cherry

I'm 19 years old and I'm from South America, and I've probably read more local authors than anything else. But I've wanted to branch out for a long time now, and this seems like a nice place to learn.

I am quite ignorant in literature matters and my English is probably rusty nowadays..

Welcome to BGO. Mharo. We are delighted to have you join us.

I hope we can help you to 'branch out' with literature from the English speaking nations, and in return perhaps you will help us to explore the fine literary heritage of the S. American countries.

Don't worry about your rusty English - even native speakers struggle with it sometimes - we will try to help you polish it up. :)

Hello!

A bit about myself hhmmm.... that's too difficult, can we talk books instead?!

I have been a member of a book group for too many years to count so have managed to get through a few books. It is not a reading group where we discuss a set book but just a resource where we all pool books and try to read something different.

I've recently enjoyed A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian (Marina Lewycka), The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox (Maggie O'Farrell), Suite Francaise (Irene Nemirovsky), Never Let Me Go (Kazuo Ishiguro), The Wrong Boy (Willy Russell) and The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk-Kidd). I also enjoy crime writers (PD James, Henning Mankell) and assorted thrillers and historical novels - I must say I just read for pleasure and escapism and not to improve my mind (too late for that).

Apologies if I haven't got the authors names right but it's time for bed now.

Good night

Welcome to the site Jules. There are threads on the novels of many of the authors you list. I like the way many of us can enjoy Ishiguro as well as P D James and Henning Mankell. All excellent in their way.

I have been a member of a book group for too many years to count so have managed to get through a few books. It is not a reading group where we discuss a set book but just a resource where we all pool books and try to read something different.
What a good idea.

Welcome to all of the new members, I hope you enjoy BGO.

Welcome to BGO, Jules.

We try to cater for all tastes here, and can accommodate those who want book recommendations, those looking for discussions on a wide variety of books - literary, genre or non-fiction - or provide a group experience of reading and discussing a particular book.

Just slot in where you are most comfortable.

If you don't find a suitable niche already established, then we are always willing to look at new ideas.

I look forward to reading further posts from you.

Hello there!

Introducing myself and don't really know what to say about me. lol. I really enjoy reading, but finding time to do so is hard! There always seems to be distractions! I am reading Margaret Atwood's 'The Blind Assassin' at present, and its really hard work. Also got Minnette Walters' - 'Acid Row' - temporarily on hold, till i finish The Blind Assassin, - its complicated enough without trying to read another at the same time!! lol.

I think I'd have a go at reading mostly anything really, although science fiction isn't really something I would go for.

I'm an Austen fan at heart! There is just something about her novels. I love them! :)

Anyway time for bed now,

Amy :D

P.s Looking forward to working my way around the site and exploring!!