• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello everyone!

I landed here via a friend's request from myspace. I'm always reading something and always looking for good rec's.

Some recent books I've read include One Good Turn, A Long Way Gone, and The Time Traveler's Wife. I probably enjoyed them in that order.

I'm a big fan of authors like Kate Atkinson, James Ellroy, and Dennis Lehane. Nick Hornby's usually good for a fun read, and Rudolfo Anaya is an all-time favorite.

Was recently feeling guilty for having read nothing of Jane Austen's so I read Pride and Prejudice this summer and, as a result...didn't feel so guilty for not having picked up her work sooner. Not my thing I guess.

Anyway, glad to be here and looking forward to some good discussions.

See ya around!

Welcome to BGO, AZ. Nice to have another Ellroy fan on the board. I listened to Lehane's "Shutter Island" on audiobook last year; not bad at all.

I must confess ignorance of Rudolfo Anaya's work. Why not start a thread and tell us more about it?

AZ_Domer, welcome to BGO.

You should find plenty of good discussions in the forums here, just join in any threads that are of interest to you. Do start new ones, too, if there isn't one on a book you want to talk about.

I look forward to reading about your favourite authors and books.

I'm a newbie here and got a friend request on MySpace. I love love love to read and I am usually reading two or three books at once. I like Kate Atkinson, Margaret Atwood, Stephen King, Amy Tan, Jeannette Winterson, Sue Townsend and so many more. I am not at all a "book snob" in fact all read just about anything I can get my hands on.

I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and am currently reading through the whole series again from start to finish. It's just how I roll.

I'm happy to join this forum and look forward to lots of great book discussions!

Welcome to BGO, TwistedRedhead, it's great to have you with us.

You'll find plenty of discussions underway for books by the authors you mention, just join in any of the threads that interest you..

You'll find recommendations for many 'new' authors and books here too, so dive in and enjoy the site. :)

Guest Broos

Hello. The door was open and I wandered in. I was just rummaging around in the basement. Nice place you got here.

We didn't have a TV when I was a kid. We went to the library instead.

I used to read whenever I could. Now I'm a writer and editor, and it's near about the last thing I want to do. Life's funny that way, isn't it.

Hello. The door was open and I wandered in. I was just rummaging around in the basement. Nice place you got here.
Hi Broos, and 'welcome' again!

The door is always open, and mostly it is the most congenial people who wander in. Rummage where you like, and make yourself at home. If anywhere takes your fancy, just settle down and join in the chat. ;):)

Welcome Fae, nj29au, NewWorldVulture, no1_foxymama, NottyImp, Schroedinger's Cat (I like Mulisch and Marquez!), AZ_Domer (even though you like The Time Traveler's Wife and dislike Jane Austen ;)), TwistedRedhead and Broos.

Looks like we have quite an international crew now.sign0016.gif

Hi Momo,

It seems you have read one more than me. I think I'd pick up and read a Barbara Cartland novel before a HP book, and I really can't explain why, but they just hold no appeal for me whatsoever.

Cheers ...

I probably would pick up any chick lit or romantic novel over Harry Potter - though I don't usually read them either. So, whether it's Barbara Cartland or any other author like her, no thanks.

Hello Everyone

I am new to this thread and have found reading your posts very interesting.

A few years ago, due to illness, I started to read mystery/thriller/suspense novels because they are all I can concentrate on. Fortunately that genre offers many many kinds of books and plots and settings and sleuths or cop/ buddies. Some of my faborite writers are:

P.D. JAMES

HENNING MANKELL

MARTHA GRIMES

GEORGES SIMENON

RUTH RENDELL

MICHAEL CONNOLLY

VAL McDERMIT

IAN RANKIN

DONNA LEON

RICHARD NORTH PATTERSON

E.X. FERRARS

DENNIS LEHANE ... Just to name a few.

Since I am housebound and mostly bedridden, last year I decided to read all of the books by my favorite writers and I am making good progress. Of course I didn't bother to add Spillane, Hammett or Chandler to the list nor did I add Christie, Sayers or Highsmith. Don't they go w/out saying?

My "straight" literary fiction writers of note are:

Doris Lessing

John Fowles

Anita Brookner

David Leavitt

Joan Didion

Michael Ondaatje

May Sarton

David Malouf

Anita Shreve

Anne Tyler ... and again, the list goes on and on.

I am eager to see what writers and books you all share.

ENJOY

GERBAM

Guest Broos
Ah, Broos - Southern California I see. Shall I compare and contrast Steinbeck's Lenny, Hunter S Thompson's Dr Gonzo and the Greatest Hits of The Eagles. No, perhaps not.

No, no, please do. Except Lenny was about 300 miles north of here in the Salinas Valley, and the last regular writing gig of Dr. Gonzo that I remember was for the San Francisco Examiner.

I'd forgotten the Eagles were from L.A. When I think of L.A. music I think more along the lines of Eddie Cochran, The Doors, X, and Black Eyed Peas.

No, no, please do. Except Lenny was about 300 miles north of here in the Salinas Valley, and the last regular writing gig of Dr. Gonzo that I remember was for the San Francisco Examiner.

I'd forgotten the Eagles were from L.A. When I think of L.A. music I think more along the lines of Eddie Cochran, The Doors, X, and Black Eyed Peas.

Well, I thought 300 miles plus in your country was just around the corner whereas here.... I take it your more San Diego way. :)

Hello everyone!

I'm a bookseller (of the second-hand/antiquarian variety) who has recently lost my shop to 'town centre regeneration'.

After eight weeks of rattling around like a spare part,I joined my local library - so I still have shelves to straighten, & through them found this smashing site!

So hopefully,between all those library shelves in need of a tidy & the seemingly very friendy people on this board to talk books with,it'll be business as usual!

I read pretty much anything & everything,though some of my favourite (fiction)writers are: Jean Plaidy,Fanny Burney,R.Chetwynd Hayes,Lord Byron,Terry Pratchett,Mervyn Peake,Sylvia Plath,Wilkie Collins,Philip Pullman,etc... and I have to confess to a (possibly unhealthy) fixation with P.B.Shelley - the only man to make me go all weak-kneed & 'girly'!

I know I'm probably the only person around here with this particular problem,but I look forward to discussing all other books & authors with everyone!

Hi there, FuchsiaGroan (indeed, a bit of a giveaway to your Peake fixation - I'm a fan too!).

Really sorry to hear about the loss of your bookshop; it's a problem we've lamented on this site before so you'll find plenty of sympathetic souls.

I also have to tell you that Shelley is probably my favourite poet too, although to be fair, he doesn't make me go weak-kneed and girly.

A warm welcome to the site - I'm sure it's becoming clear already that you'll be in like-minded company here! Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts!

Hello again, Crimen Premeditado.

You do realise, don't you, that your 'prize' for correctly answering the ''which fictional character" question is to have the honour of setting the next question? :D

You'd better find yourself a suitable candidate, and set the first clue, ASAP.

I look forward to seeing you back in that thread, and in others around the board.

It is a nice place here. I hope you enjoy it.

FuchsiaGroan/ I'm very sorry to hear about the closure of your shop.

What good is a town with no second-hand bookshop? It's just featureless and boring :mad:

So what have they replaced you with, eh - Another coffee shop, I bet :rolleyes:

I hope you find some comfort in all the book-talk here :)

No-one else so far has confessed to a particular fixation with Shelley, but now you have mentioned him I wouldn't be surprised if other Shelley-fans didn't suddenly start popping up. We have all sorts on here, and you are very welcome.