We try to bite our tongues and let all but the most flagrant abuse of the rules pass without direct comment ;):P

I was hoping I was getting across that exact point and the reason I replied was because the post in question was about grammar. Maybe I'm the only one who noticed the irony. Sorry!!! I didn't mean to offend anyone.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello folks. This is my first post here. I'm leyla, I live in Glasgow, I'm a doctor (first trained as a physician, then switched to consultant anaesthetist) but I'm retired early due to an obscure (non contagious :) ) condition called scleroderma. I used to write a lot for medical journals such as the BMJ, BMA News Review, etc and also wrote occasional pieces on medical politics and other subjects in broadsheets. I heard about this forum from a friend who's recently joined.

I was hoping I was getting across that exact point and the reason I replied was because the post in question was about grammar. Maybe I'm the only one who noticed the irony. Sorry!!! I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I don't think anyone is offended.

I assumed that chuntzy's post was made tongue in cheek, and your response was to be expected (there are similar exchanges elsewhere on the board).

I apologise to her if I am wrong and she is offended.

We do have to be a little careful how we respond to poor spelling etc from new/infrequent posters whose posting style we are not familiar with.

I think most regular posters can cope with a little good humoured finger-pointing, but it's best to 'know' the person whose 'error' you are pointing out, so that you don't put your foot in it.

leyla, welcome to BGO.

It's good to have you here, and I look forward to 'meeting' you in the various forums.

Enjoy exploring the board, and feel free to join in any of the threads that interest you - or start a new one if there's something you are keen to 'talk' about and we're not already doing so :)

Hi leyla, glad you've joined us.

Chuntzy, the teashop by the river in Newark is indeed lovely but is up for sale! I'm hoping whoever buys it will still want to run it as a teashop as it's in a perfect location.

Lady Lazarus, thanks for the invitation into the Writers' Corner - I'll certainly be looking into that.

HI, I'm Rae

I am a primary school teacher in Bristol. One of my main aims for the children I teach is to help develop a love of reading and enjoyment of books. I read a lot, especially in the school holidays! I enjoy reading a wide variety of authors including Jane Austin, Charlotte and Emily Bronte, Jasper FForde, Michel Faber, Douglas Coupland (just to mention a few!).

I was introduced to BGO through myspace and was struck by the friendly nature of this forum. I look forward to discussing books with you all.

Welcome, Hekaterine, leyla, bonami and Rae, welcomesign.gif

it's great to have so many new members who are used to visiting forums. As to the discussions about grammar, I'm sure you will come across the threads we had about them before, most of us are quite picky about it though we all make a mistake from time to time. Some of you I've already seen posting in the threads, keep on participating. After a couple of days, you will feel at home here, I'm sure. Looking forward to "seeing" more of you.

Hi My name is Mary but I go by Holly Golightly, one of my favorite characters

from one of my favorite books by one of my favorite Authors portrayed by my all time favorite Actress Miss Audrey Hepburn, who I admit I Idolize ;)

I am also a bookworm, I love to read from all genres. My favorite Authors are Evelyn Waugh, Nevil Shute, Edith Wharton, John Cheever, John Steinbeck and too many others to mention. I am 23 yrs old, I live in Toronto Canada, I am of Maltese decent on my Mother's side, I also love music all kinds, modern (The White Stripes, Amy Winehouse), I also love swing, big band, Jazz. I love to swim & skate (ice & inline) & going for walks with my dogs, whom I have 3, I am a huge animal lover, I also have 2 cats & 2 rabbits. I learned about this forum from Bill's Myspace page. I am really excited to have the opportunity to chat about books with all of you. :)

Great to have you with us, Holly/Mary! (Putting it like that almost makes it sound like we have a divine member joining us!)

Actually we're all divine - or pretty divinely friendly, anyway. It sounds like you have lots to talk about and you'll find there are plenty of threads catering to your tastes. Where there aren't, do please start them!

Looking forward to reading your posts!

Been around for a week or so, but I'll introduce myself properly now. I'm Angela (but Fulcrum sounds so much more interesting), and my reading history has been fairly varied. Loved Fantasy in my teens, Westerns in my early 20s, European literature was inflicted on me during my uni days (when I found reading Sherlock Holmes stories was much more interesting than doing my assignments), nothing in my late 20s (lets not talk about my late 20s!), non-fiction in my early 30s (particularly in self-help and art technique), and since then moving into more literary books (particularly Australian authors). I also try to get around to reading non-fiction especially on global warming (both sides of the argument), Peak Oil, politics, politics, and more politics (some think it weird), demographics (my latest love) and...more self-help.

Oh, and yes, I've read the Harry Potter books (who hasn't?).

And I'm trying to write a book in my spare time when I'm not at work (working badly) or renovating my white-albatross of an apartment (great views, terrible plumbing and awful aucoustics).

Hi all,

What a lovely country this seems to be - I think I might seek citizenship, or at least a resident's visa in the interim.

I am another refugee from BTF, and having seen the fantastic welcome you have offered Aemy, Ang and Hek I'm hoping you have room for another (not so small, nor so quiet) one. Please, please, please, please.

To introduce myself briefly, like Ang I am a member of the gentler (ho ho ho) sex. I live in the the Antipodes, and am in fact, yes, one of those damned colonials, but don't hold that against me.

As a teacher at primary school once noted of me, I am rather inclined "to be loquacious", but I will TRY to control my natural tendencies, although I am looking forward to joining my old BTF/new BGO buddies on the "The Way The Crow Flies" thread.

Oops, there I go already, getting carried away. Sorry. Please don't vote me off already.

Bye for now.

Very happy to have you both on board, Fulcrum and Bee2zed. All visas duly stamped and very open-ended, though we do recommend the enhanced citizenship programme, also known as subscription. If you like what you see then pop to the bottom of the main page and hit the subscription button for more info, then you can have a shiny new avatar!

We welcome all loquacity - better to say a lot than nothing! I look forward to seeing the pair of you pitch in to our wide and varied discussions!

Welcome to BGO, Fulcrum and bee2zed. It's great to have our small antipodean contingent boosted.

Enjoy yourselves here, take a good look round, and join in any of the threads that spark your interest.

The BGO bookgroup (down near the bottom of the front page) will be choosing an Australian book, author and location, for it's next read, in September. It sounds as though you might have plenty of suggestions for us, so do keep an eye open next month when we are asking for ideas!

The BGO bookgroup (down near the bottom of the front page) will be choosing an Australian book, author and location, for it's next read, in September. It sounds as though you might have plenty of suggestions for us, so do keep an eye open next month when we are asking for ideas!

Meg, do you think you should delete my new thread (about 15 minutes ago) as I'd forgotten we'd be on to Australian books in the autumn for the book group

Welcome, Holly Golightly, Fulcrum and bee2zed, very glad to have you year. I see you have settled in already since I saw your names in the different threads. Just one remark to this post:

Oh, and yes, I've read the Harry Potter books (who hasn't?).
I read the first one since I was a member in a book club that decided to read it. And that was that. No more HP for me, thank you very much.
...... Just one remark to this post: I read the first one since I was a member in a book club that decided to read it. And that was that. No more HP for me, thank you very much.

Nor me, Momo.