Hi Laura Lou, Welcome to BGO.

I hope you haven't come here expecting some kind of therapy to cut down on your book buying :eek:

Because that won't happen - Oh no, no, no, no, no :rolleyes:

It's a sad affliction that many of us share, and strangely it seems to get worse, not better the more time we spend on here.

Make yourself right at home! :D

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joined via MySpace. My local library is my friend, as is Amazon, Greenmetropolis and anyone foolish enough to leave me unattended beside their bookshelves...

Currently switching between The Drowned and the Saved, Sharpe's Fury and Hyperspace (the book that is, not an alternative dimension, though the idea does appeal!)

Hello,

I'm a book lover who hasn't found too much time to read lately, so I'm hoping this will kick start my reading again. Full time work in a demanding job and 2 young children seem to conspire against me! But when I do read I become completely absorbed in whatever it is I'm reading - from the newspaper to a huge novel. My all time favourite author is John Irving, Owen Meany is my favourite book, although Cider House Rules comes a close second. I also love anything by David Lodge. I read English Literature at University and enjoy lots of the classics too and I'm always looking to find a new read! I'm looking forward to meeting fellow book lovers and sharing ideas and opinions.

Ruthie

Hello, my name is Rebecca. I like to read anything by... Larry McMurtry, Shirley Jackson, Ian McKewan, Somerset Maugham, Evelyn Waugh, Cormac McCarthy, Denis Johnson, David Foster Wallace, Kazuo Ishiguro... let's see, I love Helen Fielding and Kurt Vonnegut... just finished <i>The Magus</i> by John Fowles - excellent - I loved the <i>Tales of the City</i> series but can't remember the author; I loved - don't hate me - <i>Valley of the Dolls</i> and other books by Jacqueline Susann, I loved <i>The Godfather</i>. Many more, but well, you get the idea. Oh, I loved <i>A Confederacy of Dunces</i> and I've also recently become a huge fan of Dave Eggers.

:wavey: Welcome bluecaterpillar. I think you will find BGO right up your street. I am sure you will enjoy all the threads here on different authors and many other things. Looking forward to reading your views. Lovely to have you with us.

Clementine, ruthie and bluecaterpillar welcome to BGO. Enjoy exploring the site.

Feel free to add to any thread that catches your fancy, and if there isn't already a thread on a book you want to praise or pan, then just start a new one.

I look forward to finding out all about your favourite books, and your current reads :D

Hi, I'm Ang. I'll start by saying I'm female. Many people have mistaken Ang for a man's name and so rather than being treated differently when people figure out it's not, I'd rather say so in the first place. Yes, it does happen, sad but true.

I came across this site because another site (Book Talk Forums) is being closed down by its owner. A few of us were enjoying the monthly book reads there and would like to find another site so we can carry on. Book Group Online looks very friendly and has much more activity than we've become accustomed to.

Hopefully other BTF people will join and introduce themselves soon.

I'm going to have a look around now...

Hi Ang, welcome to BGO.

What a pity BTF is having to close. I hope you and any other members who join us will soon feel at home here.

I have investigated other online book forums (and joined a couple), but never came across BTF.

You are right about this being an active site. I have noticed that none of the book forums I've looked at seem to have the amount of daily activity we do on here. We are fortunate to have attracted several members who are avid readers, and prolific posters - although everyone's comments are appreciated however infrequently they post.

I'm sure we can look forward to more interesting discussions from any ex-BTF members who make it over here.

I look forward to that. :D

Hello all:

So glad to have found this site; as Ang(ie) has already noted, several of us have been looking for a new and active site after the demise (nearly) of BTF.

So I'm looking forward to meeting and chatting with you all, and perhaps pursuing a "read" already in the works from where we were earlier - Ann-Marie MacDonald's "The Way The Crow Flies".

I think it's an excellent novel - despite all those pages! I'm probabaly a little biased, not only because I'm Canadian, but also because when I was Madeleine's (the 8-yr-old protagonist's) age, my family lived just outside the city of London (Ontario), and the territory around Centralia is not unfamiliar to me. And the details of schools and of 60s domesticity are "history revisited."

Hope some of you will join us on "The Way ....... "

Aemy

PS Megusta, I loveyour username! Phonetically it comes out something like "me gusta lire", no? ( "I like to read"?) Spanish, Portuguese?

A.

Ang / ladyaemy, it would be good if you could let any other Book Talk Forums regulars know just how welcome they would be on here.

Why is BTF closing? Is it not active enough or is there another reason?

Just to let all recent members know that one of the reasons we can keep going is through users clicking on the Amazon links and banners. If you go into Amazon in one of these ways, and go on to make a purchase, 5% of what you spend comes back to us, and helps with our running costs.

If you end up spending a lot of time with us, we also have a voluntary subscription scheme. For a one-off payment of just £10, you can be a subscriber for life. You have the chance to have your own avatar, and are eligible for occasional subscriber-only offers. All you need to do is scroll down to the bottom of the front page, click on SUBSCRIBE OR DONATE TO BOOK GROUP ONLINE, and take it from there.

Lately, there have been more and more members every day. So I'm very glad to be able to say a hearty Welcome to a lot of new readers.sign0016.gif

LauraLou, Clementine, ruthie, bluecaterpillar, Ang and ladyaemy. Some of you I've seen already in other threads. Keep posting and you'll get to know all of us very soon.

LauraLou, your description tells me that you are just as addicted as the rest of us, so you are certainly going to enjoy it here.

Clementine, I saw your reply about The Time Traveler's Wife, really loved it since I hate that book as well. ;) So, if anyone gives you a hard time about it (which they won't, just joking), let me know. My husband loves the Sharpe's books.

ruthie, I don't know how you find the time with two childen and a job and university. I just admire anyone who is able to do all that - and then keep up reading. Wow!

bluecaterpillar, there are a lot of authors you mention that we have discussed here already. Looking forward to your comments.

Ang, sorry BTF has to close down. We are happy to give you a new home - and anyone else who comes along, as Bill already mentioned. We love discussing books.

ladyaemy, the same applies to you, of course. I have read Ann-Marie MacDonald's The Way The Crow Flies (and her first novel Fall On Your Knees) and thought they both were marvellous. I just wanted to put in the link but I see you've already posted there. Will put in some comments there, as well.

Happy posting, everyone!

Welcome to BGO,ladyaemy. Please consider all that I said in my reply to ang as applying to you.

I see that you have already found the thread on The way The Crow Flies. Feel free to continue your BTF discussion there, and invite the other participants to join in. If you are enthusiastic about it no doubt other BGO members will want to read it and add their comments.

Our book discussions stay open permanently, so that later-joining members can take part when they get round to the book.

PS Megusta, I loveyour username! Phonetically it comes out something like "me gusta lire", no? ( "I like to read"?) Spanish, Portuguese?

You've got it!

Add spaces in the right places and it becomes "me gusta leer" Spanish for "I like to read."

Do not be fooled into thinking I can speak Spanish, though...it is the remnant of an old daydream ;)

Welcome to BGO,ladyaemy. Please consider all that I said in my reply to ang as applying to you. ...

re: username:

Megusta: You've got it!

Add spaces in the right places and it becomes "me gusta leer" Spanish for "I like to read."

Do not be fooled into thinking I can speak Spanish, though...it is the remnant of an old daydream ;)

Thanks for the welcome, MGL.

And as for the remnant of old daydreams ... we all have a

few of those, methinks!

Cheers,

Aemy

Hello all

I'm another refugee from Book Talk Forums - directed here by Ang and Aemy (thanks me ducks!) and looking forward to posting on here.

I live on a boat in Newark (Nottinghamshire, not New Joisy) with my partner (who will also be joining up as he's an avid reader) and a strange dog called Muffin who looks like he has been upholstered in crushed velvet.

I sing in a band called Plastic Jack ( http://www.myspace.com/plasticjack ) and am a wannabe author, but so far unpublished - hopefully due to bad luck rather than rubbish writing :rolleyes:

I'm a voracious and indiscriminate reader but can't bear bad grammar in printed works, which drives my OH insane as I have to point out any mistakes I come across.

My screen name is a greek version of my given name and is also the name of my boat, but my OH says I should change it to Grammar Elf (see my comment above).

I have a tendency to overuse brackets :)

Hekaterine x

Ang / ladyaemy, it would be good if you could let any other Book Talk Forums regulars know just how welcome they would be on here.

Will do... thanks very much.

Why is BTF closing? Is it not active enough or is there another reason?

I suspect it's because it's not active enough, but the owner would not explain the reasons. I asked a good few times and eventually gave up. BGO will be better, onward and upward!

'Allo, 'Allo, 'Allo - what's goin' on here, then? A forum, closing, you say?! Ah, well you've come to the right place then!

WELCOME to the ex BTF-ers (Hekaterine, Ang and ladyaeme)! Good to have you joining us, albeit for such a sad reason.

WELCOME also to the non ex BTF-ers (lauralou, clementine, ruthie and bluecaterpillar) - as happy to have you here as the refugees!

and am a wannabe author, but so far unpublished - hopefully due to bad luck rather than rubbish writing :rolleyes:

Hi Hekaterine! Welcome to Book Group Online :) Just to let you know we have a 'Writers' Corner' for all budding writers, where we do a weekly writing exercise and then give constructive criticism on our work, if you're interested it would be great to see you there!

Glad to meet all you newcomers.

(hekaterine - me and my pals like that nice teashop by the canal in Newark. I'm also always picking up on spelling mistakes and typos in books. So flippin' annoying: proof-reading's gone to pot.)

This particular post, when taken out of context (i.e. as a reply to Hekaterine's introduction and Chuntzy's response) was taken in a vein that was not meant, so it's best to remove it I think. Sorry if you all thought you were going to see something juicy, as it is referenced in another post. :)

Hi Hekaterine, consider yourself as warmly welcomed as our previous intake from BTF.

Pedantry is not unknown amongst the membership here, so worry not. We have had a few threads on which to air our grumbles about grammar, punctuation and spelling. Not that we don't make the odd mistake, or have our own little weaknesses...I am rather fond of the ellipse myself, and generally misuse it :o

That said, posting on a message board tends to be more like the spoken word than the usual forms of written communication, so a little laxness is to be expected. :rolleyes:

We try to bite our tongues and let all but the most flagrant abuse of the rules pass without direct comment ;):P