Welcome, cherylp, atom-girl and Grubstick, it's so nice to have more members every day. I've already come across some of you in the threads and I'm sure, we'll "see" each other more often. Meg has said it all in her posting at the top of the page. If you have a question, just ask and someone will try to answer. sign0016.gif

Well, The Sorrows of Young Werther hit me hard in high school. I guess it burned an everlasting mark on me...
c035.gif You an another couple of million of students!
Sinuhe is my favourite of Mika Waltari's novels. He was a very productive.
So far, I've only read Sinuhe and The Dark Angel, my friend just loves the latter but I must say I preferred the former, as well.
Originally Posted by werther

Well, The Sorrows of Young Werther hit me hard in high school. I guess it burned an everlasting mark on me.

And I thought you were named after the sweets :o
See, there's the difference between someone who had to suffer through the book and someone who hasn't. ;)
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Grubstick-Hannah!

I looked at Lancaster when I was choosing uni's - it had one of the best signs I have ever seen. It read: "Our drinking club has a rugby problem". As I ended up in Loughborough (sport central) it particularly rang true!

It doesn't take too much glue to "get stuck in" here!

Hi - I'm new here so thought the best way to start would be here. Im a school librarian, so I pretty much live and breathe books, although it must be said a lot of time in my line of work I'm pretty much preaching to the already converted! It's a real challenge trying to encourage reading when it's seen a more of a badge of honour NEVER to have read a book. Anyway, that's enough talk of work.

Books are for pleasure. I read just about anything. Whatever takes my fancy. Right now I'm between two books by Scottish authors. One is 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox' by Maggie O'Farrell, and the other 'The Testament of Gideon Mack' by James Robertson. Enjoying both. The last I read was 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' - a wee gem of a book. Looking forward to reading and contributing to the forums.

Welcome to BGO, mrs coulter, I'm sure you will be very much at home here.

We have quite a little band of school/children's librarians amongst our number already, and an interest in CYA books amongst others of our membership, so you will find that the CYA forum is quite lively.

Not that I am suggesting that you should make that your permanent home here :o

I look forward to reading your contributions to a wide selection of threads in many forums :D

Oops - sorry for mispelling Megustaleer!

I quite liked Megalusteer! ;)

Welcome from me, Mrs C., and if you do make other mistakes (and don't we all...?) then you can edit your post by pressing the edit button at the bottom of the panel!

Looking forward to chatting!

CYA - Children and Young Adults. We seem to use quite a lot of abbreviations on BGO, so if you go to Anything But Books (ABB) and look on the Tips and Announcements, or is it Announcement and Tips thread, well you will see what I mean, the last one anyway, you will find a lot of the most used abbreviations explained to you there. Along with a lot of other interesting information about the site.

Welcome mrs. coulter. Great to have you with us.

P.S. Just read David's comment and I totally agree - I liked the mispelling too! :)

I'm new too - invited through MySpace, so you can see, I'm a bit of a waster with too much time on my hands. I too enjoyed The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox. I have just read Michael Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin, a special favourite of mine, and was not disappointed. In fact, I chose my name because we were reminded that Mrs Madrigal used to have a cat named Boris. Nice to catch up with all the old characters.

Welcome to BGO, Boris.

Do enjoy exploring the forums. If you see any discussions you'd like to add to, just join in. If we haven't got a thread on a book you want to discuss, then feel to free to start one - someone will be along to reply in due course.

I look forward to reading your contributions :)

Hello everybody!

Another newbie in this group :) I'm 18, from Belgium (so that's the reason if my English is a bit clumsy or ungrammatical) and I'm studying Literature & Linguistics (English and Spanish) at the university of Leuven. I discovered this forum when I got a friend request at Myspace (again, thanks for that!). I read quite a lot and my taste is rather eclectic. I really love the novels of Jane Austen, Ian McEwan, Kate Atkinson, etc. I also read a lot of fantasy stuff (Diana Gabaldon, Terry Goodkind, Naomi Novik, Philip Pulman,...), some detectives (Elisabeth George, Ruth Rendell,...) and a lot of Belgian authors (most of them will be unknown to you though, but here: Annelies Verbeke, Dimitri Verhulst, Peter Verhelst,...) If you have any other questions, fire away ;)

Hi, Absynthie, Welcome to BGO.

You are not our only member whose first language isn't English, and I'm sure Momo will be along soon to say 'hello'.

The novelists you mention are all popular with members here, and there is quite a following for fantasy, so you will soon feel at home.

I look forward to 'meeting' you around the various forums. Enjoy exploring them. :)

:flowers: Welcome, Mrs Coulter, you seem to have made yourself at home already in just a day. Great! Whatever book you read, you can be sure that somebody here has read it. I am not a librarian or a teacher but I help at school (and have helpd in the school library in the past) and have two children, so I belong to those who know a lot of CYA books, as well. My oldest son (17) loves Philip Pullman.

:flowers:Boris the Cat, a hearty welcome to you, too. Feel free to discuss any books you like and browse through the different threads, there's a lot to share.

:flowers: Welcome, Absynthie. As meg has already mentioned, I'm another member whose first language is not English. I am German living in the Netherlands but I have lived in Belgium (Brussels) and England. From the authors you read I suppose you are Flemish (is that correct)? I haven't read any Flemish authors (yet) but quite a few Dutch ones.

Anyway, don't be afraid, everyone here is really, really nice and nobody has ever, ever made fun of me because I made a mistake (maybe because of other things because we like to tease each other around here ;)).

The abbreviation thread Barblue mentioned can be found here.

thanks for the warm welcome here :) It really makes me feel 'at home'.

And to Momo: yes, I'm Flemish. Great you're living in the Netherlands! I'm also a member of a Dutch forum for booklovers (Ezzulia). I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's a good site with a lot of nice people ( a bit like this forum ;))

Welcome Mrs Coulter, Boris the Cat and Absynthie.

Mrs Coulter - It's great to have another member of our merry band of librarians, and I've read both your current reads as well, so am looking forward to discussing!

Boris - I've never read any Amistaud Maupin, but I caught a bit of him talking about his faith on TV this morning, and he seemed an interesting chap. Any suggestions of where to start?

Absynthie - you mention "a lot of Belgian authors" - please start threads about some of them, it's always interesting to see what is going on in publishing over the borders!

Definitely start with Tales of the City and work your way on from there. There are six books in the series, all absolutely brilliant. If you don't love them I'll eat my hat! (Luckily I haven't got one, cos someone's bound to disagree!) I also loved Maybe the Moon, it may actually be my over all favourite Armistead Maupin novel.

Hello, my name's Laura and I'm a real bookworm. I probably buy books at a faster rate than I read them though lol. My room is like a library. :rolleyes: I also like acting and want to go into acting and maybe script writing when I'm older. I am also learning to play the piano.

Nice to meet you all. :D

I probably buy books at a faster rate than I read them though lol.

You and everyone else on here LauraLou! Welcome to BGO, you'll find that you buy them at a faster rate now that you have joined us!