I learned of this group when a mysterious Friend Request appeared on my MySpace account. This led me to an interesting competition which killed a boring afternoon, and then to these message boards. Most of my reading tends to be genre - SF, Horror and "dark" Fantasy (hate that term, but at least it excludes all those tedious epic-quest-for-the-golden-shield-of-Smegma trilogies which still litter the field, post-LotR). I also have something of a taste for autobiographies, and for the kind of literate, subversive comics which those defensively-inclined refer to as "Graphic Novels" (because that sounds more grown-up), but I prefer to call, simply, "comics". I'm suspicious of much which broadsheet reviewers would term Literature (with that all-important capital "L"), on the grounds that it often seems to place the authors' aimless philosophical maunderings ahead of such trivialities as Plot and Character. Recently my fancy's been tickled by Michael Palin's Diaries, Graham Chapman's "Calcium Made Interesting", Neal Stephenson's "Baroque Cycle", Jonathan Coe's novels (especially "The Rotters' Club" and "The Closed Circle"), Iain Banks's "The Steep Approach To Garbadale", Iain M. Banks's "The Algebraist", and Jasper Fforde's "The Big Over Easy".

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like we might need to re-name the Science Fiction, Graphic Novels and Manga forum! It will certainly be good to get some energetic input in that area, pvincent, so welcome to the site!

You'll find plenty of people who share those interests. There are some huge Fforde ffans and I certainly enjoy Coe (loved What a Carve Up!) as well as Iain Banks, although I tend to prefer his more 'extreme' novels.

A warm welcome to everyone else who has joined recently, too. This seems to have been a vintage period for recruitment to the site and it's hard to keep up with everyone who's come on board, but you'll find this is a friendly and stimulating place. Do please ask if there's anything you're not sure about and I look forward to reading your thoughts!

Hi folks

new lad on the block! Scottish but living in Germany so i really struggle to get books, apart from Amazon.

:D

Hi, Charlie W.

I lived in Germany for 9 years (Koenigstein im Taunus, near Wiesbaden), and really enjoyed my time there. Whereabouts are you?

Amazon.co.de isn't your only English language book source in Germany. Krisostomus is a European source. I think Waterstone's online has some branches in Europe, too. EBookisle.com is in America, but I understand that they ship anywhere.

Have you thought of e-books?

Best wishes,

Rowena Cherry

Hello everyone, :)

I prefer writing fiction to non-fiction, mainly because I prefer to use my imagination then to use facts. I cannot wait until I've finished the non-fiction part of my course to be honest.

Skyler x

Hey, Skyler,

It's good to meet you. What genre of fiction do you write?

You might be appalled to hear that writers in almost every genre of fiction have to do a lot of research. The trick is to achieve a high degree of accuracy in the things you can get right, so you seem totally credible when you get to the fantastic, made-up details.

:-)

Best wishes,

Rowena Cherry

Most of my reading tends to be genre - SF, Horror and "dark" Fantasy (hate that term, but at least it excludes all those tedious epic-quest-for-the-golden-shield-of-Smegma trilogies which still litter the field, post-LotR). Big Over Easy".

PVincent.... I am going to have to find you on MySpace and read your blog.

I fell on the floor laughing in horrified delight. Is the "golden-shield-of-Smegma" your own term for epic quest tales? It cannot be in common palance, can it?

Rowena Cherry

I'm living in Jämsä (Finland) with my family.
We have a young lady on BGO who appears to have a strong interest in Finland She's not been around for a fortnight, but I'm sure she will be keen to pick your brains when she discovers you!! ;)

pvincent, welcome to BGO. I think that you will find your tastes in books shared by several other members here.

I look forward to following the discussion amongst our Graphic Novel fans on the use of the word Comics for this genre :D

Rowena - the golden shield was just an off-the-cuff coinage that popped into my head as I typed. Your books look quite interesting - I'll have to investigate. You'll look in vain for a blog on my MySpace page - http://www.myspace.com/abdump - though I started a blog around my musical interests at http://abdumped.blogspot.com/ , but have neglected it for the last year or so.

David - yes, my favourite Banksey novels tend to be his more extreme ones, assuming by these you mean Wasp Factory, Complicity, and the awful secret of the bone chair in Use Of Weapons?

Right, I think my next stop is the discussion board about comics, and see if anyone feels strongly about calling a comic a comic...

Good to be here, I think.

Welcome charliew, Hi, I'm German but live in the Netherlands, so I'm sure there are things we can talk about (if you want to moan about the Germans, go right ahead, I don't like them much either ;))

Anyway, if you want to find that title you are looking for, just post it in the Central Library. I'm sure somebody can help you.

And depending where you live, there are a couple of large bookstores in Germany where you can find English books.

And welcome Skyler. There is always something of interest for us from somebody new. You certainly have found the Harry Potter thread already. My children have grown up with Harry and I can see that it's difficult to give it up.

And welcome, werther, do I take it you have a thing for Germany's biggest writer? I love Finland and have a few friends there. We just read two books by Mika Waltari in our RL book club. Great author. Looking forward to your inputs.

And finally to the last one to be welcomed, pvincent, and don't worry, you can call comics comics here, there's quite a few fans of them.

You can discuss any books you like here, there's always somebody who has read it.

Hope you will love this place just as much as we do.

Hello...my name is Cheryl, and I'm 26. I've been looking for a book group to join locally for ages, and after having no success, decided to try an online forum. And this one seems to be exactly what I've been looking for - active discussion, eclectic tastes, and -more importantly - readers as passionate as I am!

I've always been an avid reader, and not in the sense that it looks good on a personal profile. I mean truly avid! As a kid, I'd go to the library in the holidays and loan the maximum of 8 books, which I'd go home and read in time to take 8 more out the next day. Nowadays I get through something like 4 or 5 books a week.

I read anything: classics, cult fiction, poetry, biography, contemporary novels, historical texts...I just genuinely love to read. And I'm excited about the opportunity to discuss books with people on here, as a lot of my friends aren't huge readers.

So. Nice to meet you all. I look forward to chatting with you! X

Welcome to BGO, cherylp, I'm sure that you'll find all you want by way of book-discussion here.

BGO has many advantages over a RL Bookgroup. We are always here at any time (although our responses may not always be immediate), you don't have to dress up (or even dress) to join in. You don't have to drive home, so can take a drink during the evening. You don't have to look us in the eye the next day/week if you've said something stupid.

Best of all, you don't have to read a particular book, we will 'talk' about the book that is exciting you!

So, have a great time here

Oops, posted already, and only just found this.

Hi I'm andrea, another myspace recruitee!

Mad about books, but never enough time to read all that I want to. I think Thomas Hardy is the only author I have read in entirety. Other faves include Ian McEwan, Roddy Doyle, E M Forster, Tolkien, Philip Pullman. I'm really not fussy about genre and will immerse myself in anything. There's one book I just can't get to grips with though - Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse. I'm a politics graduate and studying at the moment, hence why I'm on here, procrastinating instead of getting on with it! Great to meet you all, and at last, I find fellow booklisters. I'm glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to write it down in the back of my diary every time I've finished a book.

Happy Reading to all.

andrea

BGO has many advantages over a RL Bookgroup. We are always here at any time (although our responses may not always be immediate), you don't have to dress up (or even dress) to join in. You don't have to drive home, so can take a drink during the evening. You don't have to look us in the eye the next day/week if you've said something stupid.

Best of all, you don't have to read a particular book, we will 'talk' about the book that is exciting you!

You know, I'd never thought of us as quite like that before! I like it though!

My head is spinning from all the new members recently, it's great to have you here.

So welcome to the latest round - charliew, skyler, werther, pvincent, cherylp and atom-girl andrea!

Go on - make yourselves at home!

Holy cow, I go away for a week and look what happens! Welcome to all the new members, I hope you all have fun here and settle in quite quickly. Oh, and if you buy your books from Amazon - please use the banner on this site!

Thanks for the warm wellcome, you're so kind :)

Well, The Sorrows of Young Werther hit me hard in high school. I guess it burned an everlasting mark on me... Sinuhe is my favourite of Mika Waltari's novels. He was a very productive. In addition to novels he wrote a huge amount of plays and movie scripts.

Oops, posted already, and only just found this.
Well, it's not compulsory, some members never make it to this thread, but it's good to know a little about new folks, especially their taste in books. It helps us make them feel at home, we hope, and saves cluttering up other threads with lots of 'hello&welcome' messages.

From your list of favourite authors I expect to bump into you all over the board.

I look forward to that, and I hope we will be able to introduce you to some new favourites, too.

Welcome one, welcome all.

atom-girl, do you read much on politics away from your studies? My degree had a significant Politics element in it, specifically American, but I never took my studies further than BA level. However, I still read a fair amount of non-academic politics books and a lot of stuff castigating GW Bush for being such a rubbish President. One of the best books I've read so far this year is John Kaempfner's "Blair's Wars".

Whilst we're a widely read bunch, the History, Politics and Beliefs forum is one of the quieter parts of the site.

Hello!

I'm Hannah, and yet another one who meandered over this way after recieving a MySpace message.

How to introduce myself ... I'm eighteen, and currently enjoying a long and lazy summer, before heading off to Lancaster University come September/October. Needless to say, I enjoy reading, though I have no real preference when it comes to genre; I'm a big fan of comedy in general, so I must admit I like my books to contain a few laughs. I'm also not averse to any genre - much as it is slated, I think well-written chick-lit can be a great read!

I'm a fan of several authors, but like atom-girl, I'm often frustrated that I don't have the time or funds to read an author's entire catalog. A few that spring to mind include Ben Elton, Tom Holt, Lousie Rennison, Stephen Fry, Nick Hornby, and the 'classics', such as C.S. Lewis and Judy Blume. I'm working on widening my reading, so to speak, and trying to work my way through those books that fall under the category 'Things You Should Read Before You Die' :)

This place looks marvellous, and I'm looking forward to 'getting stuck in'!

Hannah

Hi, Grubstick, welcome to BGO. I hope you will like it here with us.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of members who share your reading tastes and will want to discuss the authors you enjoy.

I'm also sure that when you have been here a little while you will find that list of 'Books to read before you die' will have grown mysteriously longer! (I know mine has!). That and having a much bigger TBR (To Be Read) pile - it's The BGO Effect :D