• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I thought I'd better introduce myself properly seeing as i've now made 3 nominations for the July/Aug read.

I'm Carole, single parent, living in Berkshire, and reading is my escape. I came across this site while searching for an online book group as I really enjoy being able to discuss what i've read.

My tastes are varied and i'm always willing to try someone else's suggestions. Another reason that i enjoy this site so much.

Just one question on a 'housekeeping' note:

I originally joined the site last year under the username of Caroley. I then moved house and was without internet for about 6 months. On my return to the site my old membership was no longer valid. I can only assume you must delete inactive memberships after a certain amount of time?

I originally joined the site last year under the username of Caroley. I then moved house and was without internet for about 6 months. On my return to the site my old membership was no longer valid. I can only assume you must delete inactive memberships after a certain amount of time?

The forum crashed and much, prior to a certain date, was lost. You'll probably notice a number of threads that start Rescued Thread.

True to my word, BGO is now recommended on Facebook.com, and has a link on my blogs at Rowena Remarks.blogspot.com, Males-and-Other-Animals.blogspot.com, Newnhamites.blogspot.com, Out-Damned-Story.blogspot.com, Alien-Romances.blogspot.com, Survival Romances.blogspot.com.

I've also added BGO on both my Myspace accounts (http://www.myspace.com/insufficientmm and http://www.myspace.com/rowena_aliendjinnromances

I've also mentioned you on Twitter.com.

Now, off to Bebo.com

For those who care about links and traffic, feel free to add my links, and do visit the sites where you are mentioned to create pathways to delude the search engine spiders. If any links don't work, try http://www.rowenacherry.com to find the proper urls for my blogsites.

Thank you so much, Rowena. That is very generous of you.

Welcome to all the new members, however they found us!

..... and who lives in Perth, Western Australia.

Ciao for now,

Hamletbb

Welcome, hamletbb: I admire a writer from your home area, Tim Winton. I've read his Dirt Music and am expecting delivery of Cloudstreet, a much earlier book. When they were on the road in WA (in Dirt Music) the atmosphere and scenery were marvellously evoked in very spare prose.

Welcomeagain, hamletbb, I'm glad to see that you have found your way to the Reading Lists thread. I started keeping mine in 1992, and have found it invaluable as the memory dims :D:D

Dylansnan, it's good to have you back with us. Quite a few members had to re-register after the disastrous Crash in February. 14 months-worth of registrations and posts were deleted, and the board was offline for about a fortnight...the withdrawal was dreadful :(

Fortunately many of the threads had been cached by Google, so we were able to restore quite a lot. Not all were found, and not all were remembered and searched for before Google ditched them. Unfortunately, the registrations made during that period were not retrievable...however, if you read some of the 'retrieved' threads you might find yourself here in your previous incarnation :D

Welcome, Dylansnan, the member formerly known as Caroley ;) Nice to have you again, I remembered your name but as we have mentioned, we lost quite a few people, unfortunately. However, great to have you back, looking forward to your comments.

And welcome, hamletbb, you have a very interesting reading list, I haven't read or even heard of many of them although I have read other books by Chabon, de Botton and McEwan. Looking forward to your contributions.

Bless you!

This link dowsn't work. Not from the above post, nor from this website: http://www.rowenacherry.com

Thank you so much for pointing out my error. The link should be in the singular:

http://www.myspace.com/rowena_aliendjinnromance

I made my id unnecessarily complicated because when I created it, I did not realise that it was designed to help people find me! I do that a lot. Then, I compound the problem by forgetting my own id.

Meanwhile, I've also spread the word to romance writing friends, but one friend has mentioned that she's a little intimidated. Do you think we should have a "Welcome Romance Authors!!!" thread, so timorous fairies and other curious newcomers know where to let down their hair?

:-)

Rowena

Hi everybody

My name's Dave and I also like a few others found this site by accident (just a quick google search) - I'm a 'taffy', born and bred in N Wales - have loved reading since I was a little nipper and enjoy a wide genre of books but am currently going through a crime thriller stage - have just completed Cody McFadyen's excellent 'Shadow Man' and also 'The Missing' by Chris Mooney and finished another of his novels few weeks ago 'Deviant Ways' - again both very good reads.

Also like horror - grew up on the likes of Herbert, King and Koontz but like I say I have a wide range of topics which I tend to change to time to time.

Anyway, glad I found this site and once again hello to you all and hopefully I can get a few ideas from here

Bye for now - Dave

I admire a writer from your home area, Tim Winton. I've read his Dirt Music and am expecting delivery of Cloudstreet, a much earlier book. When they were on the road in WA (in Dirt Music) the atmosphere and scenery were marvellously evoked in very spare prose.

Yes, Chuntzy, I think Tim Winton is an incredibly talented writer. About 18 years ago, I was encouraged to read his big, critically acclaimed, breakthrough novel, Cloudstreet. It only took me 11 years to follow that advice, and I finally read it in 2000. What an incredible saga that was. You'll enjoy it, I think. It wasn't until last year that I read another of his: Dirt Music, and earlier this year I read his latest short story collection, The Turning. Each of these titles were mesmerizing. The Turning even got me a tiny bit emotional at times (and I have a heart of stone!).

The Turning was interesting in that you recognise some characters from Dirt Music in one or two stories, and certain characters reappear, and develop further, over the course of its 14 or so stories. Some of these are as short as 5 pages long. But all, even the shortest of these, pack some sort of a punch - they're just so well-crafted and weighted. I can't recommend The Turning highly enough if you like Winton.

Enjoy Cloudstreet!

By the way, thankyou all for the welcome, and welcome to those who joined, or chose to introduce themselves for the first time, after me. I'm very happy to have this forum as an opportunity to discuss and listen to other readers' opinions.

Hamletbb

So many new members, it is wonderful to greet and meet you all. Welcome to BGO all recent new members. This is the greatest space for airing and sharing books and many other subjects. Welcome to wavy our newest member - I'm willing to bet you will find a lot to your liking here. Also welcome to hamletbb - such a great user-name to a Shakespeare lover like me. :arms:

So many new members, it is wonderful to greet and meet you all. Welcome to BGO all recent new members.

A few welcomes from me as well - John Self, Colyngbourne, wonderboyo, hamletbb, wavy-Dave, and again to Dylansnan who I remember in her previous incarnation of Caroley. Good to have you (back in the case of Caroley)!!!

Hi...I'm new too. I hail from Australia and I love to read anything but trashy romances. Hope to see you all around the forum!

Welcome indeed, nj29au - I'm sure Adrian will be thrilled to see we have another Australasian member!

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum!

Welcome to BGO wavy and nj29au, it's always nice to have new members. I'm sure you will enjoy BGO, there's always something to read. And even if you're not reading a book at the moment, we have lots of games going.

Hi folks

new lad on the block! Scottish but living in Germany so i really struggle to get books, apart from Amazon.

iam an avid (or rabid?) reader of all sorts of books, but class alternative history, end of the world stuff and military sci fi as my main sources of enjoyment, although i will read anything going to be honest. i see myself as a serious reader but dont take anything to seriously, so you'll never hear me delving into styles of writing or the pros and cons of one author against another.

I found numerous similar sites to this one through google while trying to find an authors name, from a book ive just read but gave away, :( enjoyed it so much that i wanted to get his other titles. This site looks to be well laid out with plenty of help and advice available, so hopefully i'll track down the elusive book :D

Hello everyone, :)

I was introduced to this forum from Bill through MySpace.

Not sure what I can tell you about myself that's of any interest. I come and live in Derbyshire. I'm currently enrolled in a writing course with The Writers Bureau and hope that I can one day become a published writer. I prefer writing fiction to non-fiction, mainly because I prefer to use my imagination then to use facts. I cannot wait until I've finished the non-fiction part of my course to be honest.

Of course I love to read, I've always got my head stuck in a book. My favourite authors are Cecelia Ahern, Nicholas Sparks and Katie Fforde. I'm also a big fan of Harry Potter and I'm counting down the days to the final book - I'm a little sad about it because I feel I've grown up with Harry.

Anyway, can't wait to join in with the discussions.

Skyler x

Welcome, wavey, nj29au, charliew and Skyler. I hope you all enjoy yourselves here on BGO. You'll find loads of people ready to discuss all sorts of books with you, so just make youselves at home!

Spend some time exploring the forums, and post on any that take your fancy. Don't be shy of resurrecting old threads, we are happy to see new ideas introduced to previous discussions.

Can't see a thread for that book you wanted to rave/rant about? - Then start a new one! Someone will be along to join in shortly;)

Have fun!

Hi u all! I found Book Group through MySpace. I'm living in Jämsä (Finland) with my family. I've studied theatre and literature, and at the moment I make my living by directing/producing and writing. I've written a couple of plays and dramatized some novels. Short stories are my passion. I love to read and to write them.

My favourite authors are Raymond Carver, Ethan Canin, Richard Ford, Mikhail Bulgakov and Sarah Kane.

At the moment I'm reading The Complete Short Stories of J. G. Ballard.