Hi Bobby T.

Wow - I never seriously imagined you'd know of a book group. I'd resigned myself to there being not a single one in the whole of Yorkshire.

Tell me more! What evening do you meet? And what sort of stuff do you read? Do you actually all read a whole book every fortnight??? And are you all studenty types/age? I'm a 30 year old full time mum for a little while longer. I'd feel a bit conspicuous if you were all 21! (Though I guess that wouldn't necessarily stop me....) Are there many of you??

Spill the beans ;)

Claire

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I joined last week but have only just found time to introduce myself - work and computer problems conspiring to keep me away.

As an ex-pat Brit living in Belgium I am less able to access all the books I would like to read as the public libraries carry relatively few English language books, many of which have been donated by English and American families. Book purchasing can be expensive so on-line is our lifeline, plus the odd trip back to UK when we stock up!

I will read almost anything but find that fantasy leaves me cold. I occasionally go back to the classics although I find them hard going at times but I try to persevere and am part way through "The Odyessy" at present.

Other recent reading has been "Border Music" and "The Bridges of Madison County" by Robert James Waller. I really enjoyed the former but TBMC didn't stir quite as much emotion as I would have expected. Perhaps I should have read TBMC first? I am currently part way through a cop/murder mystery by Fay Kellerman - "Milk & Honey" - keeps me page-turning.

Back to work now.

(I am an arrivee from the Sunday Times too. Power of the press and all that....)

Hi my name is Deirdre and I live in the town where J.M.Barrie was born. I came across this forum following a post on the channel 4 culture forum, came for a visit and was delighted by what I found.

I have always enjoyed reading, many and varied books, I have kept a list of every book I have read since the end of 1981, obsessive eh? To date I have read 939 (that was at the end of 2004) I have always had a notion to join a book group but as I work shifts just having a life is hard enough to keep up with. I work full time, have three grown children and a husband who restores old motorcycles. I came to the fantasy genre just 2-3 years ago, this was a genre I had always assumed would appeal to younger folk, but I love it, even though I'm mid 40s. Nice to 'meet' all you like minded bibliophiles, and many congratulations to the creators of the forum. Especially Bill, who responded to a query I had.

undefined

Guess what, I also read about this club in the 'Culture' mag of 'The Sunday Times'! For me, it's a welcome link to something British, as I'm an expat living in the USA. I get nostalgic seeing words spelt the English way. Over here the word 'maneouvre' is spelt 'manouver'. The worrying thing is that I'm now getting confused.....a two 'storey' house is a two 'story' house. Unbelieveable, but true!

I'm an avid reader of biographies and have read Hillary C's, and will read her other half's soon. I'm also a keen reader of short stories and especially enjoyed Jhumpa Lahiri's 'Interpreter of Maladies'. I've purchased William Trevor's Short Stories and also Mavis Gallant's 'Paris Stories' tome . I like to have a good selection of paperbacks for reading on 'planes.

I like reading the arts section of 'The New York Times' and my absolute favourite magazine is 'The New Yorker'.

Like a zillion others, I read the 'Da Vinci Code'. It's a clever plot, but total fiction of course!

I hope this online club succeeds and doesn't run out of steam.....I share my book 'finds' with family and friends on email. Anyway, 'bon chance'!

OK best stop 'lurking' and post a bit about myself..... :D

I love reading (mostly fiction) when I get the chance and was happy to stumble upon this promising looking bb. I've recently joined a local book group held monthly at a library near me and am just about to start this month's choice ...... A Gathering of Light by Jennifer Donnelly. I also have waiting in the wings....

The American Boy by Andrew Taylor

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

The Tenko Club by Elizabeth Noble

Am also a Bookcrosser but haven't had much luck with getting any of my 'releases' caught yet! :rolleyes:

M x

Hi. Been here a few weeks now so I thought it was high time I introduced myself. My name is Tom (I wrote the Sunday Times Culture article). I've had a couple of non-fiction books published, and am currently writing my first novel. I tend to read a book every week, if I can (just like David Brent!). Last two were The American Boy and Carl Hiaasen's Skin Tight. I tend to like crime (I like books about crime too - ha!), historical romps, and literary fiction of the not-too-highfalutin kind. I notice there are a few other East Anglian posters - if anyone is up for starting a book group in the South Norfolk area, give me a shout (I'm in Diss).

HI have been here a little while now so thought I had better say hi!

I have always loved reading and since leaving Uni I have really missed having in-depth discussions about books. I found this site on google when I was doing a search for book groups. I currently live in Wiltshire (would be interested to know where your book group is ScaryMary555) but hail from Thomas Hardy Country, although I have to admit, of all his books, I have only read Tess.

I like most kinds of fiction but am drawn towards dystopian literature, an interest that stems from reading Margaret Atwood's 'The Handmaid's Tale' at school. Any recommendations welcome!

Hi,

I found out about the book group through The Sunday Times article, I have always been interested in the concept of book groups, as much for the recommendations as anything else.

I read pretty much anything, although I don't like fantasy, science fiction type stuff. I am currently studying for a degree in Psychology (mature student) so am restricted to reading lots of textbooks, but I like Margaret Atwood, Christopher Brookmyre, John Irving, the classics and have just finished re-reading Alice in Wonderland which was a joy.

Look forward to sharing book information with the other members and benefitting from their experiences too.

Amanda

I've been a member a while now, so thought I should introduce myself at last!

I'm 22 and live in Dublin, I read as much as I can and will read anything, have even been known to read Mills and Boom :eek: when there is nothing else (You'll be glad to know its only happened a hand full of times though, I now have a constant to-read pile thats getting higher and higher the more time I spend on here)

I found out about BGOL from the Culture forum on the Channel 4 website

At the moment am reading The Distance Between Us by Maggie O'Farrell and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I saw a post about this on the BookCrossing forums and, well, here I am! I really enjoy writing book reviews and it's always great to discuss a book I've read with other people. Needless to say, I'm happy to have found a site that caters to this need! :)

As for me, I'll be 26 this Saturday. I work as an enginerd and live just outside Washington, DC, USA. In my spare time I write (like, obsessively), read (duh!), play Scrabble and pool, and hang with friends (doesn't everybody?). Oh yeah, and lately I've been reluctantly planning my wedding, set to take place this November (reluctantly because I don't like shopping for clothes and I don't like dealing with relatives and I really don't like making appointments - I'd like to *be* married but *getting* married is a big pain in the tuckus).

Hi there

My name's Liz and I heard about BGOL from my new friend BrumB, who I met through BookCrossing (I'm LyzzyBee on there too).

I live in London at the moment but we've just agreed the purchase of a house in Birmingham so fingers crossed that all will go through and I'll be living here soon.

My main hobbies are book collecting (over 2,000 so far!) and BookCrossing - meant to reduce the number previouly mentioned but hasn't so far! I also do cross-stitch, like looking at buildings and architecture and will soon revive my latent interest in gardening, when I actually have a garden!

I'm a librarian by training and wanted to be one since I was about 8, even going to the extent of putting little tickets in books I loaned to friends! My favourite authors tend towards mid-to-late 20th century such as Iris Murdoch, Barbara Pym, Anne Tyler, Larry McMurtry, Jill McCorkle and I also love music writing (autobiographies, books about the industry (including one by a certain person a few posts above me on this forum!!)), travel writing (Eric Newby etc) and psychology (Oliver Sacks and the like). Don't like crime and not a big romance-reader though I'll stray into Maeve Binchy land on occasion.

That's me - really looking forward to seeing what's going on on all the fora and hopefully putting my bit in now and again!

LyzzyBee

Forgot to introduce myself. I live in Lowestoft Suffolk UK & the best gift my parents gave me was a library card when I was eight years old. I read all books & am currently about to embark on some Fantasy novels. I am a freelance Natural History Writer (When I can get the work) & employed full time as a gardener.

CJ

Hi,

I, like everyone else first heard about Book Group Online through the Sunday Times Culture magazine and signed up immediately. I am currently reading Our Hidden Lives by Simon Garfield which is about the diaries of people during the 1940's taking part in the government's Mass Observation project. When I have finished this I want to read Saturday by Ian McEwan.

I think this group is a great idea as I don't know of a book group locally.

good afternoon :)

i'm tricia from just outside belfast. heard about this site while browsing bookgroupinfo.com. looking forward to joining in the fray. i have a broken rist at the moment and am off work so will probably be on the net loads!!

Hi,

I've been on this site most days for a couple of weeks now, finally got around to introducing myself!! I heard about this site through a friend and it provides ample distraction while I'm bored at work when I can get away with being on the internet. It makes up for the lack of stimulating conversation with my colleagues!! And now I find myself logging on even now I'm at home... I did a French and English degree, though my interest in reading is as a fan not an academic (I can't forgive what the post-colonialists did to Jane Eyre, for example). I am currently obsessed with Jane Austen and am reading all her books having discovered them at a shamefully recent time (English graduates... doesn't mean anything 'these days' etc...). Hence the username. But taking a break to read Villette by one of the Brontes... can't remember which one it is... My favourite books of all time are Possession by AS Byatt, Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I would add some Austen but as I'm reading them all for the first time I don't feel I've had enough time to really reflect on it. You can usually find me on the 'Anything but Books' page at the moment, purely because its a nice environment to escape to from the safety of my desk!

(I can't forgive what the post-colonialists did to Jane Eyre, for example).

Sorry, RO, having gone no further than Eng Lit 'O' level (and that at the 2nd attempt, over 30 years ago), and Jane Eyre being in my top 10 books, I would really like you to explain this to me. Ta!

I have always loved books but when I am so busy at work which involves a lot of computer stuff I am goosed when I get home and find it difficult to get into reading. However, I have just returned from a 2 week break in Tenerife (on my own) and I read 18 books. It was the perfect holiday and has re-energised my love of reading. I was delighted to find this site and hopefully it will keep me supplied with lots of reading ideas.

Hello! I found out about Book Group Online through BookCrossing. I'm not very good at discussing books, but maybe this will help. I like to read almost anything and I usually read about 2 to 3 at a time to get them read faster. It's hard to squeeze fun reading in between school reading. I read whenever I have spare time, including riding in the car or... other private times. ;)

I enjoy reading the posts here, what an intelligent lot of people! I look forward to learning and sharing with you. ~Dixie

We are welcoming a lot of new members at the moment, so if you have just joined, why not introduce yourself here? Tell us a little bit about yourself, what you like reading, and if you have any questions about the site, ask away.

I'm sure our existing members will want to wish you all a warm welcome, and will be happy to answer any queries. Yes, it is a large site, with lots of forums, but it doesn't take long to find your way around. And it means there's a lot there to get your teeth into.

Hi Bill and other members. I too am new,love reading and am enjoying the site so far even tho' it's my first time to chat online. Am currently reading "Due Preperations for the Plague" by Janet Turner Hospital. Any opinions? I am still feeling my way. Just finished "Shadow of the Wind". Not overly impressed!