• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Momo and Flingo,

Thank you for your generous words of welcome.

I must find BGO on MySpace!

For anyone with MySpace-friendly inclinations, I have two MySpace sites and would love more friends:

http://www.myspace.com/insufficientmm

That is the site where I, being an INTJ type on the Myers-Briggs scale, blog with all-comers in the persona of my wicked book Insufficient and invite booklovers to take me (the book) to bed with them for a long, laughter filled night of reading pleasure.

http://www.myspace.com/rowena_aliendjinnromances

which is my Rowena Cherry site for professional contacts with other authors and half naked cover models all flaunting their wares or covers.

I'm also on Facebook.com and Bebo.com and will welcome any friends who do not appear to want to sell me a Macy's credit card, a mortgage, or some other bill of goods.

I am now signing up for email notification, so I don't ignore kind messages in the future.

Best wishes,

Rowena Cherry

Welcome to BGO, Czar Silver. I'm sure you'll find lots of help here in your attempts to "extend your range" :D:D . I look forward to 'meeting' you around the different forums.

Hi, Rowena, our paths have already crossed - when you first posted in the SciFi thread.

A cheeky request...would you care to mention BGO in your MySpace, Bebo and Facebook pages? ;)

We'd be very grateful :)

Welcome, Czar Silver. You have come to the right place. There are so many members here who read all sorts of books, so you will get a lot of recommendations for different books as well as the possibility to talk about the books you like - and recommend them to us.

Looking forward to your postings.

Hi, Rowena, our paths have already crossed - when you first posted in the SciFi thread.

A cheeky request...would you care to mention BGO in your MySpace, Bebo and Facebook pages? ;)

We'd be very grateful :)

Certainly, Megustaleer,

Let me know exactly what you would like me to say, and I will be happy to mention BGO on MySpace, Bebo, Twitters, the Dorch Forums, the Leisure Authors loop, and other places too.

Of course, you do know the standard caveat used by djinn, demons, gods from mythology, and other first responders to human wishes?

Be careful what you wish for... You might get it.

Guest John Self

Hello, as requested by megustaleer, I'm introducing myself here.

I'm John Self and I am an old hand at this sort of thing, being an admin of Palimpsest and having my own book review blog.

I was directed to this forum by Stewart, as we'd been discussing the 'mysterious' Panama Oxridge and his book Justin Thyme over on Palimpsest.

I'm John Self and I am an old hand at this sort of thing,
Thought you might be ;)
I was directed to this forum by Stewart,
that's not a surprise, either :D

We're pleased to have you join us, John. Not all that many of us are skilled in writing detailed reviews, so it will be good to have your input.

BGO has its own 'house-style', which will be different to Palimpsest, so do bear in mind the comments Bill made to Stewart in the JT thread.

I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Guest John Self
BGO has its own 'house-style', which will be different to Palimpsest, so do bear in mind the comments Bill made to Stewart in the JT thread.

Oh don't worry, I'm a pussycat! I didn't know I was overstepping the mark with naming the author of JT, just thought I'd share the info as he was so keen to point out who he wasn't. But that, again, is another discussion...

Guest Colyngbourne

Hi there - introducing myself, Colyngbourne.

Like John Self above, I steered here via Stewart's discussion of the Panama Oxridge book on Palimpsest where I am, alongside John, one of the admin.

(And I have actually read the Oxridge book as well.)

Special interest (as well as literature generally): YA lit.

Well, just a line to say you've found a really great online bookgroup, peopled with amusing, friendly, intelligent, witty, members posting many informative, erudite and insightful discussions...nothing over the top!! :D;):D
You forgot to mention humble. ;) Other than that, your description is great!!

Welcome, John Self and Colyngbourne, we're always happy to have new members. Stewart seems to have been talking about us a lot lately. I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Hello, I'm new to Book Group Online, having been recruited from myspace by Bill. This looks like a wonderful place to find out about new books, and to tell people about those that I discover. With two toddlers, the only chance I really have to read is on the train to and from work but I love finding out about books I may not have known about before. I have recently enjoyed reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, The History of Love, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Book Thief, Piece by Piece by Tori Amos, Conversations of Goethe with Johann Peter Eckermann, Ahead of All Parting - poetry of Rilke, The Moon, Myth and Image by Jules Cashford, short stories of O. Henry. I think this is a great place to find out about quality children's books so I am really looking forward to reading the children's book forum.

Hello, I'm new to Book Group Online, having been recruited from myspace by Bill. I have recently enjoyed reading Conversations of Goethe with Johann Peter Eckermann ...

Hi Violetfullmoon! Great username. Hope you enjoy BGO.

I'm impressed to see a Goethe mention. I read a good few of his at uni, but I haven't been tempted to go back to them. I must have a look at this one, though - it sounds interesting. That's what BGO is all about - finding new stuff which you wouldn't otherwise find.

Welcome violetfullmoon (love the username, by the way)! Looks like you've come to the place. Though, how you manage to read all this with two toddlers, you must have a looong way to get home. ;)

Anyway, I didn't manage half as much when my children were small, so I admire anyone who can achieve this. I'm sure you will enjoy reading about the books you read, with two little ones and work you certainly aren't a member of a RL bookgroup, are you?

P.S. RL is our abbreviation for "Real Life". Sorry.

Hi, I found my way here via a search engine. I was looking for a book group I could join (in the real world) but this seems like a good place to start! I lecture psychology at a university and love to read non-academic books in my spare time just for a break. I have 2 small children so only get the chance to read on to and from work on the train and sometimes late at night if I can keep my eyes open past 10pm. I'm currently reading This Book Will Save Your Life (A.M. Homes) and I've recently read Buried (Mark Billingham), The Traveller (John Twelve Hawks), The Brief History of the Dead (Kevin BrockMeier), The Reader (B. Schlink), Little Children (Tom Perrotta) and If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things (Jon McGregor).

Welcome to BGO, violetfullmoon, and wonderboyo.

You both seem to have wide tastes in books, so I'm sure you will feel very much at home here. There's plenty of opportunity to discuss the books you have been reading, and to discover 'new' titles and authors. I look forward to reading your contributions.

Welcome, wonderboyo. Nice to have yet another new member. It's good that you have the time on the commute to read. It's hard to read with two little children around. From the books you mentioned I only read The Reader but I'm sure there are plenty of other members here who have read the others. Anyway, you will find a lot of recommendations and also other topics to talk about.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Well, just a line to say you've found a really great online bookgroup, peopled with amusing, friendly, intelligent, witty, members posting many informative, erudite and insightful discussions...nothing over the top!! :D;):D

True to my word, BGO is now recommended on Facebook.com, and has a link on my blogs at Rowena Remarks.blogspot.com, Males-and-Other-Animals.blogspot.com, Newnhamites.blogspot.com, Out-Damned-Story.blogspot.com, Alien-Romances.blogspot.com, Survival Romances.blogspot.com.

I've also added BGO on both my Myspace accounts (http://www.myspace.com/insufficientmm and http://www.myspace.com/rowena_aliendjinnromances

I've also mentioned you on Twitter.com.

Now, off to Bebo.com

For those who care about links and traffic, feel free to add my links, and do visit the sites where you are mentioned to create pathways to delude the search engine spiders. If any links don't work, try http://www.rowenacherry.com to find the proper urls for my blogsites.

Hi everyone,

I found this site yesterday. Just Google-d it, I'm afraid. Unlike others, I didn't see it mentioned in any highbrow arts section of a respected broadsheet or anything :D Never mind. I'm glad I found it.

Since 1999, I started to keep a record of what I read each year, so I have a list of every book I've read, for each year, since then (1999). I'm so glad I started this record, because it allows me to look back on those books and more easily recall those I was more fond of, and why. For some reason, my listing them has helped me remember them better. I don't exactly know why that is.

I wonder where I might post my yearly reading list on this forum. Could anybody post a link?

Compared to most of you here, I'm not a fast reader and 19 titles is the most I've I've ever read in any one year (since I started listing the books I've read).

I haven't really looked into tweaking my personal details for this forum and, to tell the truth, I can't really be bothered doing so right now, but suffice to say that I'm a guy, 42, who enjoys reading and travelling, laughing and talking, and who lives in Perth, Western Australia.

Ciao for now,

Hamletbb

Hi hamletbb, thanks for posting about yourself. The place for this year's reading list is on this thread. There were similar threads for previous years, we tend to separate it out to keep it manageable. Look forward to hearing your opinions and maybe some book recommendations from Australia.