Hi, Kimchi - guessing you're a fan of Korean food? I was in Atlanta on New Year's Eve a long time ago and it was even pretty warm then!

Welcome Rosiebunny, I'm one of the aforementioned Murakami and Auster fans and look forward to discussing their work with you.

Smart move JDE! Are you Elwood or Jake?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi all, i'm phil. i'm from irelande and i'm new

i love books. my other interests is cycling and politics

the last 5 books i've read were:

percival everitt- erasure

glen duncan - death of an ordinary man

alan warner - the worms can carry me to heaven

gabriel garcia marquez - autumn of the patriarch

matt seaton - on your bike

my favourite author would have to be gabriel garcia marquez

Welcome to BGO, iff.

That's an interesting selection of books you have been reading. I hope you'll tell us a little about them. Enjoy exploring the site, and join in any of the discussions that interest you. I look forward to reading your comments.

Welcome to our new members who have posted up here - C&PP, kimchi, Rosiebunny and iff. Good to have you with us.

And a mention to a few members who have posted elsewhere but not made it up here yet - Maria (our 2000th member post-crash), yappydog, and dylansnan who is busy posting further down the board as I type! Welcome to you too.

Welcome, Kimchi, Rosiebunny and iff, your reading lists all look very interesting and I'm sure you will find plenty of opportunities to talk about them and find out about other reads. Rosie, I just love One Hundred Years of Solitude and kimchi, I read Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and quite liked it. Since I also like the other books you mentioned, you might be lucky with this one.

Hi, Kimchi - guessing you're a fan of Korean food? I was in Atlanta on New Year's Eve a long time ago and it was even pretty warm then!

Welcome Rosiebunny, I'm one of the aforementioned Murakami and Auster fans and look forward to discussing their work with you.

Smart move JDE! Are you Elwood or Jake?

Hmm, not sure... All I know is...

I'm on a mission from god!

Hello, i finally made my way over here. just been venting spleen elsewhere :)

I love reading but haven't done enough recently :(

Live by the sea which sounds idyllic but it's full of chavs eating chips and getting lagered most weekends!

Love: comedy, drama, photography, mountains, travel, red wine, big plates of food, deal or no deal (how strange is the phenomenon of chance where someone goes away with loads and other leave with nothing?) and especially dogs!

Hate: bones in fish (yes, i was a 70's kid still getting my head round the fact that fish doesn't always come in fingers with breadcrumbs!), celeb culture, cheap clothes (bargains are good, cheap clothes are not!), all religion bar hinduism (the worshipping of animals and nature is where we should all be at) but very little else

currently writing childrens fiction - first attempt, second draft - I was 36 on 3/6 so watch out world, this is my year.....

looking forward to meeting you all :)

Live by the sea...

As do I! Only without chavs and chips, I'm happy to say. (Although to be fair, I wouldn't mind the chips...)

Welcome to the group, yappydog. From what you say there's going to be plenty here to keep you occupied, and since you're involved in writing you would be very welcome to join our Writers' Circle - send me a PM if you'd like the password.

Hello! I got here by Googling online book group and selecting UK sites only.

I work for a publisher, so one may not think my motives are pure. I do not wish to sully a community by posting marketing collateral for our books, so I promise you this will never come from me. However, I will occasionally post threads about some of our books that I've really, really enjoyed -- and I will give an honest opinion every time.

I read voraciously, and am currently into history and historical fiction. I'll read almost anything, except self-help and romantic fiction (although I have done the historical romance novel in my youth).

It seems to me that if you read sci-fi/cyberpunk you must worship William Gibson, but his style just doesn't do it for me. I'm much more into Neal Stephenson, who is one of my favourite authors ever.

My other favourites are: Kurt Vonnegut (RIP), John Irving, Robert Rodi, Bret Easton Ellis, Sue Townsend, Ian Rankin. At the moment.

So. Hi there.

Hi, serialdeviant. I'm hesitant to ask what has inspired your choice of username!

Interesting choice of authors. I think some of Gibson's novels could almost be classified as crime - his early work seems to me to have aspired to be Raymond Chandler with microchips.

Re: Stephenson - I loved "Cryptonomicon" but "The Baroque Cycle" eventually proved too hefty for me and I ran out of steam about a third of the way through book two. Do want to give him another go, though.

I rate Vonnegut, Irving, BEE, Townsend and Rankin highly too and look forward to chatting with you about them.

Welcome yappydog and serialdeviant. We're always happy to have new members. No matter what kind of books you like, there are members here that like all kinds. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we do.

Hi,

I am Lisa, I live in West Yorkshire UK. I am 33 and the mother of beautiful twin daughters aged 3 and a half. I love Books (shock horror!!!), Kathy Reichs, Richard Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Dean Koontz and far too many other authors to list.

Looking forward to getting to know a few people here and indulging in what must a vast wealth of knowledge on the world of books.

Many thanks for reading my introduction.

Lisa

Hi Lisa, welcome to BGO.

You will find that there are several others here who like the authors you mention, and will be happy to share their thoughts with you. You will be introduced to many new authors and books, too, so enjoy exploring the forums. I look forward to reading your comments. :)

Welcome Lisa, as meg has already mentioned, you will find plenty of people who share your love of specific authors and a lot to talk about. Looking forward to your contributions.

Welcome to ALL the new members. So many recently. Especially to you Lisa, I have 2 sets of twins,all boys, a bit older than yours(13 and 10).
Heard a chap on the radio (this morning, I think) who said he had two sets of twins - all girls (again - I think). I definitely remembered their ages, though.

One pair are two and a half, and the other pair are one and a quarter :eek:

Welcome, Lisa - I've just read your query and am pleased that gg106 managed to answer it - I was thinking "Robert Swindells" all the way down the page, but wouldn't have got the title!

I hope that it's a good start to a blossoming relationship with us here at BGO!

Hi

I sort of heard about the forum through the Sunday Times Culture magazine, but actually decided to join after trying to encourage my father to join a book group and just Googled the idea.

I have to commute between Portsmouth and London so I have lots of time to read. I tend to have populist tastes - I lean heavily towards thrillers, horror and sci-fi. However, I have of late been extending my range and picking up lots of non-fiction and trying to read classic literature. All the stuff everyone read at school but I never did.

At the moment I am reading the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressel, but when I have finished that I am probably going to take on something a bit easier. Hopefully the new Jasper Fforde Thursday Next book will have arrived.

Well, I pride myself on having an open mind, and writing too much, :D , and just say that I hope I get lots of recommendations and you will allow me to be evangelical about authors I enjoy.