I do find myself staying later than usual as I haven't got as much work done as I'd like due to being on BGO too often!

This has never happened to me, oh no, not ever.

Must go, late for a meeting...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A warm welcome, Mz Thang, from one CYA Librarian to another! As lipstick_lib says, there are a few of us here already but all from the UK. It'll be good to hear some international opinions on what we are reading!

Just out of interest, have you read The Higher Power of Lucky (Susan Patron)? Did you agree with the controversy?

... at the end of the day after so much alphabetization you are left wondering where "A" falls in the alphabet....
I used to help in the school library and every time I go to a real bookshop I wonder how many people don't know that either. ;)

Welcome, Mz Thang, your profile fits the average member of BGO. I'm sure you'll like it here.

I'm generally a little nervous posting on a new forum, but from what I have thus far gleaned... you all seem to be an exceptionally kind and gentle bunch. Which is very reassuring, I must say.

Er, I'm Chelsea! I generally try to exist in the realm of reality, which seems to be permanently situated in the prairie flatlands of central Canada. Winnipeg, to be specific. I enjoy reading (well... yeah) and writing (predominantly poetry/prose).

Erm... what else is there to put? My favourite book (currently) is Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I tend to stick to fiction, but I'll always deviate from it for a good history book...

C'est tout. I'm not an overly fascinating character, I'm afraid. ;D

Hi Copy-and-Paste Philosophy, welcome to BGO. No need to feel nervous we are all a great bunch of people and I'm sure you will find yourself at home pretty quickly. Where you live in Canada sounds very beautiful. Look forward to chatting with you. :D

Hi, C&PP, Welcome to BGO.

Yes, we are a friendly bunch, mostly accepting that other people can hate the books we love without getting too argumentative about it ;) (which doesn't stop us putting our point of view with enthusiasm :rolleyes: )

We'll be happy to engage in discussion or debate with you at whatever level you feel is comfortable. Enjoy exploring the site, and chip into any thread whenever you like...or start a new one if no-one else has mentioned a book you'd like to praise/condemn/discuss.(There's nothing on Lolita yet :P )

Welcome to the group, C&PP! I'm glad you took the plunge in spite of nerves! Yes, we are indeed a very friendly bunch, and of course Canada is touted as one of the best-natured countries in the world, so you should fit right in! It's great, actually, when we get new non-British members.

Do start that thread on Lolita - we'll be interested in your thoughts!

Copy-and-Paste Philosophy, what a great name! I love that. Welcome to BGO. I'm sure you will feel at home here, as we all do. Look forward to reading about "your" books.

Interesting username, CandPP!

I feel as if I know your home patch, because I do a passage about global warming with my senior students (I'm a teacher) which contrasts the climates of Scotland and Manitoba to illustrate the effect of the Gulf Stream. So, is it really that cold where you are?

I can’t believe I only just found out about this site. It looks like I’m not going to get much work done here at the office.

I currently reside in Atlanta, Georgia and despite the heat, humidity, and traffic, enjoy it here. Putting my degrees in psychology to good use, I work in insurance, and despite being an office drone, I like my job very much.

My favorite books are Pride and Prejudice, North and South (Gaskell), Middlesex, and The Handmaid’s Tale. My current goal is to read 75 books this year. Since I have no husband, no children, and no pets, it looks like I’ll be able to accomplish my goal. My lifetime goal is to read one Woolf and one Dickens (besides A Tale of Two Cities which I was forced to read in school).

Welcome on board, kimchi! You'll find there are quite a number of BGOers who use the board as a welcome distraction from work! You have some excellent favourite books there and I wish you luck with the reading target. You should find plenty of inspiration for books to put on the list from the many threads here!

Hi Kimchi and welcome to BGO. I wish it was hot and humid where I live in England at the moment, it's nearly July and raining with cloud. I am a huge fan of Dickens and my favourite is Bleak House, haven't read any Virginia Woolf yet but I have a couple on my tbr pile. Anyway I look forward to chatting with you. :)

Hi kimchi, Welcome to BGO. Your varied taste in books seems to indicate that you will find a comfortable home here!

Not only will you find plenty of Jane Austen fans eager to swap thoughts on Pride And Prejudice, you will find plenty to praise Dickens and encourage you to give him a try :D

Having read Mary Barton a few years ago I now have North And South on my TBR pile (which is so huge there is no guarantee that I'll ever reach N&S :rolleyes: )

I look forward to 'meeting' you around the forums.

Hello everyone!

Well, I just tonight found this through myspace, it's my bedtime so I'll have to explore a little more tmrw, but I'm a keen reader, and I studied imaginative writing at uni, although I'm not productive enough at the moment to feel like much of a writer!

The last 5 books I read were:

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami

David Golder by Irene Nemirovsky

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon

Currently reading So Many Ways to Begin by Jon McGregor

And my favourite writer overall is Paul Auster.

I'm 25, I've lived in Liverpool in England for 5 or 6 years, but I'm originally from Dorset. If you're from England you may understand how incredibly different Scousers are from the southerners I grew up around. I hear about 20 bizzarre and new phrases everyday.

I look forward to chatting with you all! :)

Rosiebunny, welcome to BGO. You've just managed to catch me before I head off to bed!

From the list of books you are reading you are going to fit in here very well. There are several Murakami and Auster fans here, and the Never Let Me Go thread had some lively discussion. We'd be pleased if you would add your thoughts to it.

Enjoy exploring the different forums, and feel free to join in any of the discussions (or start new ones) as soon as you are ready

Thank you, Momo! And yes, Minxminnie, I'm afraid it often is. In the dead of winter, it's not uncommon for it to be -45C! (And that's not including wind chill.) Not that I'm complaining; I prefer colder temperatures. (Also? I love your name; I have a few old Beano collections. C: )

Welcome aboard, kimchi & Rosiebunny! (<i>Handmaid's Tale</i> is one of my favourites, too!)