Hi, I'm new and looking forward to joining in. I'm loving the vastness of this site and will probably be found wandering around a lot of threads. I've recently (within the last two months) read The Iliad (oh, in English, yes), The Island of Dr Moreau, The Time Traveller's Wife and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I'm currently reading Bleak House. Right, I'm off to see if I can find the thread for the new Hosseini book because I ...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to BGO, Diane F-H. With your wide taste in books I'm sure you will fit right in here. I look forward to reading your comments on the books you have read/are reading.

If there isn't a thread on any book you would like to discuss, feel free to start one in the appropriate forum

Hi! :) My name is Annaleigh, and I am a reading addict! I am currently working on eight books right now.

I got an add request for the Book Group Online at MySpace and I am so glad you've found me because I come from an area where no one reads! I often read at bus stops due to long waits and I always attract a lot of attention doing so even though I am minding my own business...it's like they're witnessing a car accident. They cannot refrain from staring or asking 5 million questions. Meanwhile, my neighbor has played his accordion at bus stops many times and is completely ignored! What a strange world we live in...

Oh well, pleased to be here! :)

Hi.

I am June and I heard about this site in another forum I frequent. The name of the member there is Chary but I have no idea what her username here is! I am an American expat living in London and moving back to the US in the next few months. Thanks for having me!

June

A very warm welcome to you both, delanochicana and JuneHawk! It's great to hear how the news of BGO is spreading ever further and bringing new people to what I think is one of the friendliest forums on the net.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts as you investigate the site, and it's great, JuneHawk, that even though you'll be moving back to the States you'll be able to stay with us here at BGO!

A very warm welcome to you both, delanochicana and JuneHawk! It's great to hear how the news of BGO is spreading ever further and bringing new people to what I think is one of the friendliest forums on the net.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts as you investigate the site, and it's great, JuneHawk, that even though you'll be moving back to the States you'll be able to stay with us here at BGO!

Thank you for the welcome! :)

I joined this board in March this year and am so addicted I fear for my daytime job ;)

:) You just need one of those computer programs that brings a fake screen of work up at the touch of a key every time your boss walks by. Then you can access BGO to your heart's content. Of course if you are the boss, you'll need to tell yourself off for doing it. :) Nice to hear from you Radders!

Hehehe, oh boy...sounds like I will be addicted too! ;)

Maybe we should start a self help group! Hi, my name is Radders and I'm addicted to Book Group Online.

:) You just need one of those computer programs that brings a fake screen of work up at the touch of a key every time your boss walks by. Then you can access BGO to your heart's content. Of course if you are the boss, you'll need to tell yourself off for doing it. :) Nice to hear from you Radders!
Unfortunately am not the boss - though I do find myself staying later than usual as I haven't got as much work done as I'd like due to being on BGO too often!

I am a creative writer and love anything to do with self-expression. I've loved to read since I was 2-years-old. My mom tells me my first book was the Duck Goes Quack.

I used to work at Barnes and Noble which I loved; To be around books and music everyday was great, but I was shocked at how much goes on behind the scenes to waste paper and the throwing away of books. It sickened me to "strip" a book I would always have someone else do it.

I know there's a lot of people out there who don't like Harry Potter (I don't think the movies help the books at all) but I am currently reading the 6th one so I can be ready for the final installment next month. I usually read anywhere from 3-7 books at a time ranging in various genres in both non-fiction and fiction. I'm also working my way through The Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance which my boyfriend loves and bought for me to read. I'm also still trying to finish Interview with a Vampire, but it scares me so much it's taking me forever! I think Ann Rice is an amazing writer so I keep attempting it. Almost done too after I think 4+ years, isn't that a laugh!

I look forward to being part of this group, as reading has been a passion of mine for so long. I can read upside down and am also left-handed and dyslexic; Fortunately this has only effected me more recently when I try to read aloud, but I can still whiz through a book. I especially enjoy ones that take me to unique places and have me meet characters that are so well defined they feel real and can make me sad to read the last page, and leave them behind in the pages of the book.

My favorite books are: She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, The Secret Life of Bee's by Sue Monk Kidd, The EarthSong Trilogy by Mary Mackey, All of SARKS books, The Chanters of Tremaris Trilogy by Kate Constable, Books of poetry by RUMI (especially translations by Coleman Barks), and Beachcombing for a Shipwrecked God by Joe Coomer.

~Meg

Hi, I’m Paul, living on the Yorkshire coast near Scarborough. I found this site on google, spent a while looking at various threads, then decided it would good to join in, so hopefully you will be hearing more from me in the future.

I’m currently reading March by Geraldine Brooks. I’m just back from a holiday in Virginia, where we visited several civil war sites, this fuelled my interest in the era so March seemed like a good introduction.

I'm also working my way through The Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance which my boyfriend loves and bought for me to read.

~Meg

Hi Meg

what is it about men and this book. My husband banged on about it so much that in the end I got him to buy it for me. It took me about 6 months to read - parts of it were quite hard going - but MOH had set down the gauntlet and I always rise to a challenge. I did enjoy it, well worth the plod. And I seem to understand my husband better now......... :confused:

Hello to both you and Paul and anyone else new - I've not been on this thread for a while... :)

Welcome to BGO, Meg and Paul I hope the site lives up to your expectations. I'm sure that it will, as most of us have plenty to say about the books we read...and about other things too. I look forward to seeing you joining in the discussions.

Paul, There's a thread already started on March, so I hope you will add your comments when you have finished the book.

Hi everyone, I haven't been on the board for about a week and I see so many new faces. So, I will try to welcome all of you individually.

Welcome, Glitzqueen (great name!) Another non-English member here who loves England after having lived there for a while.

Welcome Rowena, don't worry, we have had more authors here and why shouldn't you introduce yourself to the people who might be interested in your books.

Welcome, Diane F-H, you seem to be just an avid reader as most of us. If you can't find a thread about the books you have read, go and open one. We are always happy to read about other books and try more (as you certainly can see from our postings).

Welcome Annaleigh, aka delanochicana, you really seam to be a book addict. I'm sure you will love it here.

Welcome June, aka Junehawk, another American, our site seems to become more international. for a while it looked like it was just Adrian and me (and before I joined probably just Adrian), so I'm happy there are more of us, even if you live on the other side of the globe, as well.

Maybe we should start a self help group! Hi, my name is Radders and I'm addicted to Book Group Online.
I love that. However, if we all get unaddicted, there will be no BGO anymore. :(
My favorite books are: She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, The Secret Life of Bee's by Sue Monk Kidd
Welcome, Meg, I love these books, too but haven't read the others you mentioned, so I'll have to look them up. More books to be put on my wishlist and my TBR pile eventually. I envy you for your job at Barnes and Noble, even if you don't work there any more.

Welcome, Paul, March has been discussed here, so I am sure you will find enough readers to talk to about your books.

ok, here goes. A very big and warm welcome to:

Poohbear

Peterw

Revony-Dani

Ruth

Jeremy DEagle

dingsy

Candy1976

Sofia

patweb

ZebraMc

Mytly

MartinRB

Pages

glitzqueen

Rowena Cherry

DianF-H

delanochicana-Annaleigh

JuneHawk

Meg

paul

And welcome back

r3nu4a

I hope I haven't missed anyone! Having read through the majority of the posts from the last 3 weeks, I feel like I know most of you really well already. Looking forward to making this a 2 way relationship!!

Hi Meg

what is it about men and this book. My husband banged on about it so much that in the end I got him to buy it for me. It took me about 6 months to read - parts of it were quite hard going - but MOH had set down the gauntlet and I always rise to a challenge. I did enjoy it, well worth the plod. And I seem to understand my husband better now......... :confused:

Hello to both you and Paul and anyone else new - I've not been on this thread for a while... :)

I'm actually loving it; not having a father to show me how to tune a car or a bike it really enthralls me when Pirsig goes into detail about motorcycle maintenance. My boyfriend knows how philosophical I can be and he knew I'd like it; Turns out my mom read it back in the day and loved it as well.

Zac (my boyfriend) is a book lover like myself and after meeting the other online we first met in person at Barnes and Noble. Turns out he loves books like I do, and after he returns from deployment (he's a submariner) we are getting engaged. (around 5 months or so a girl never knows).

I miss working at Barnes and Noble to some extent, but it is a very hard and tiresome job and at the end of the day after so much alphabetization you are left wondering where "A" falls in the alphabet. My favorite part was recommending books to customers and helping them find good reads no matter the subject or their reading tastes. I suppose that although I can no longer work there this book group will offer me so much of what I have deeply missed.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, Meg

Hi!

I'm a young adult librarian in Los Angeles, and I heard about this website through myspace (an indispensable website for YA librarians!). I have a YA book club at my library, and I love talking about books with teens, but it's also really wonderful to discuss books with adults. I've been meaning to start my own book club in Los Angeles when I heard about BGO!

I read 2-3 books per week. Mostly young adult, but occasionally I'll slip in some adult fiction or non-fiction. I just finished reading "Scourge: The Once and Future Threat of Smallpox" and Gene Yang's award-winning graphic novel "American Born Chinese."

I tend to read all over the map -- literary fiction (my favorite writers are Graham Swift, Italo Calvino, Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, and Carson McCullers), YA fiction, some manga and graphic novels, and my favorite trash reads--supernatural horror featuring kick-ass heroines. (Anita Blake, Sookie Stackhouse, Rachel Morgan, etc.) I also like the occasional archeological mystery.

My current favorite? Frank Portman's "King Dork." Part social satire, part mystery, part rock-n-roll fantasy. Think "Napoleon Dynamite" but a whole lot smarter, funnier, and angstier. It's a YA novel, but it's laugh-out-loud funny and clever enough for any adult to read. I highly recommend it.

Welcome to BGO Mz Thang.

It's great to have another member from across the pond. Bill's MySpace recruitmant initiative is paying dividends in that area. I am enjoying waking up in the mornings to find that there are a lot of new posts appearing overnight.

You will find that the CYA forum is generally busy, and I'm sure that the exchange of ideas between the two continents will be fruitful for all participants...and of course, we look forward to your appearance in all the other forums. too ;)