• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hooray, I've finally managed to get in.  There may have been a mistake in one of my email versions, although I did try about 4 times, and when I finally got the registration email, I couldn't get the validation box to work!  Thanks very much to Kevin for all his helps, and everyone else for their assistance.

So finally introducing myself - yet another refugee from the Book Club Forum - hello everyone who's come over from there - I like historical fiction, family sagas, crime, thrillers, bit of literary fiction, bit of fantasy, dual time frame.

Lovely to meet you all at last!

Edited by Madeleine Scott
On 10/08/2018 at 22:48, Clavain said:

Welcome to itsmeagain, Onion Budgie, Muggle, Loretta, Madeleine and Marie H :)

With so many new members maybe we could consider a group read for September?

I’ve never done this before. Does everyone read the same book and then  review it?

I’ll have more time in September so would be interested.

15 minutes ago, Loretta said:

I’ve never done this before. Does everyone read the same book and then  review it?

I’ll have more time in September so would be interested.

Yes, Loretta.

We used to do this quite a lot. But it withered...

We had a theme, then suggestions, then a vote, then we read and discussed.

I'll set up a post for suggestions and we will see what happens.

7 minutes ago, tagesmann said:

Yes, Loretta.

We used to do this quite a lot. But it withered...

We had a theme, then suggestions, then a vote, then we read and discussed.

I'll set up a post for suggestions and we will see what happens.

Thanks, tagesmann. 

I’ll keep an eye out for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I'm Harlequin, and I absolutely love modern classics -- just finished The Grapes of Wrath a while back. I have a few favourite authors, one of them being Anne Tyler. I also love K A Applegate's EverWorld series (even though I read that more than a decade ago, but good books just stay with you), as well as the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik. Looking forward to enjoying my stay here!

Welcome, Harlequin. I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on the books you are reading.

I'm with you on Anne Tyler, I can guarantee that I will enjoy almost* any book of hers that i pick up. I am not familiar with the books of K A Applegate'.

* The Accidental Tourist: The first Anne Tyler I ever read (must be 30 years ago).

I just didn't get it at at all - the characters seemed so odd, and the story just didn't appeal to me. I can't actually remember when, or why I read my next Anne Tyler, but after a few more i was really hooked. I would probably enjoy Accidental Tourist if I read it now, but am just a bit scared that i might still dislike it