Bill

Introduce Yourself

Thank you for the warm welcome! I am certainly making myself and home, and loving it

Kaltxi Lemlest. Another Oryx and Crake fan. Great. :arms: I sometimes feel a bit alone in my dystopian not-so-far-into-the-future. Have you read John Brunner? Keep cruising the site and bringing up some of the older threads. I did that when I first joined and it was amazing how it woke up all the older ones (No. I didn't say that :ph34r: - I did NOT say that!). Have fun!

Kaltxi Lemlest. Another Oryx and Crake fan. Great. :arms: I sometimes feel a bit alone in my dystopian not-so-far-into-the-future. Have you read John Brunner? Keep cruising the site and bringing up some of the older threads. I did that when I first joined and it was amazing how it woke up all the older ones (No. I didn't say that :ph34r: - I did NOT say that!). Have fun!

I have unfortunately not read any of John Brunner's works, however I have heard of his novel Stand On Zanzibar. I'm assuming it's worth a read? Have you read it?

I have unfortunately not read any of John Brunner's works, however I have heard of his novel Stand On Zanzibar. I'm assuming it's worth a read? Have you read it?

Yes indeed. Also 'The Sheep Look Up' (one of my favourites) and 'Shockwave Rider'. Quite difficult; you need to concentrate.

Hello, everybody, I'm called Debbie and I live in Lincolnshire.  I couldn't imagine life without books!  I enjoy historical novels (currently have a 'Thing' for Pamela Hartshorne, love Philippa Gregory, but also the more vintage ones I inherited from my Mum like Norah Lofts and Jean Plaidy), psychological crime, (Ruth Rendell, Minette Walters, etc) and much more besides, ranging from biography to chick-lit, also eagerly awaiting the next Donna Tartt!  I write a bit myself and have had some poems and short stories published.

Other than books my interests include music (mainly but not only classical), politics (still recovering from the Leave vote - perhaps best not to go there!), football (I support Norwich, but we all have problems), radio (I'm a part-time announcer on a local community channel), chess (not that I'm a particularly good player!), crosswords, etc etc.

This looks like a great site and I'm glad I found it.

Welcome Hickorygirl - hope you enjoy the forum, lots of interest on here and looks like you will be a great contributor yourself.  Have a look around the different topics and join in.  :)

Welcome Hickorygirl! Good to see another new member  :)

Like Momac said, hope you enjoy the forum! I'm looking forward to seeing your views and opinions!

A very warm welcome Hickorygirl.  We're quite a friendly bunchy here and looking forward to your contributions in due course (assuming you want to make some).  

Hello Angelica and welcome.  Lots of different topics for you to have a look at.  Hope you enjoy the forum.

I feel like every time I come back to BGO I ought to post something on this thread to explain yet another extended absence from the board. It really isn't anything personal, just a bit too much real life.

What's kept me away this time? A few things, illness chief among them. I have been suffering from increasingly severe digestive problems since the summer and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last month, an inflammatory bowel disease. I am on a fairly aggressive course of medication to deal with this. You know it is serious when one drug I've been prescribed is to counteract the side effects of one of the others.

I have had similar symptoms in the past but it was assumed, by me and the experts, to be stress related rather than an actual disease. The steroids have meant my symptoms are in remission, although the process has been frustratingly slow, and I have been warned to expect flare ups in the future. It is another wake up call that I am reaching the stage in life where my body is starting to let me down and I need to look after myself.

The result has been months of broken nights - a return to when Edgar was newborn - and I've lost 3 stone in weight. You wouldn't want to go on this diet, though. The side effect of that, from a reading point of view, has been tiredness and struggling to concentrate; an attempt to read Steven Pinker's How the Mind Works was abandoned after a few days. Embarking on A Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones) has been more at the level I am able to cope with, and I am almost at the end of volume 2.

What else is going on? Our house is on the market. Having decided it is too big and expensive for our needs, we are downsizing with a view to moving out of London to Brighton, where we have friends and have loved visiting for years. Lady L grew up by the sea and has always wanted to go back, and the kids seem keen too.

The commute to London will be an issue for me, as the third thing keeping me away is a new job, starting this week. I have left food retail behind and have joined the charitable sector. Every organization has a supply chain of some sort, some of which are poorly managed so I've been hired as something of a new broom by my new employers to bring some best practice in learned from former employers. I have an almost blank sheet of paper and this should be very different from previous roles. I am now based in central London rather than the wilds of Hertfordshire, which is different too.

And that's all without the home educating and the perils of having a nearly "threenager" in the house!!

Anyway, with my mod hat on, hope you have all been behaving and hopefully I'll get to "see" more of you again now.                  

Gram, that's not necessarily an old person's disease.  My early-20s niece-in-law has it as well and she has to go for all sorts of infusions and such regularly.  I'm very sorry that you have this, but it's good to get yourself in treatment.  The rest of the stuff all sounds exciting and good.  And once you are well, it will all be good.  Also, ha ha on "please introduce yourself."

Good to see you back Gram and sorry to hear about your ulcerative colitis, I understand that it is very painful and can make you feel very unwell indeed. I hope that you get the correct mix of medication quickly and have very few flare ups. Good news for the rest and I hope that you're new job goes well

Nice to see you back Gram, sorry for your health problems but sounds as though they are under control and will hopefully stay that way. Exciting news about your move, good sea air could be just the ticket. Best wishes in the new job, and lots of good wishes to you and

all the family for the holiday season.

What a lot of change in your life Gram, some good, some bad. The move to Brighton and the new job sounds like they are going to be great things for you and LL and the kids. I would imagine the Brighton will be so much fun for the kids compared to London. Good luck with it all.

Oh, Gram, ulcerative colitis is a horrible thing. I have a friend who suffers from it (though hers has got better) Steroids can be difficult too. I had a short coursecrecently and was glad to stop.

Your new job sounds interesting!

And hi to Angelica. You have one of my favourite names.

Gram, that's not necessarily an old person's disease.  My early-20s niece-in-law has it as well and she has to go for all sorts of infusions and such regularly.  I'm very sorry that you have this, but it's good to get yourself in treatment.  

That's true. Actually, in my reading on the subject it is fairly unusual to develop the condition at my stage of life, it is more common in teenagers or at around retirement age. I suspect it has probably been in my system for a few years but as I say, the assumption has been made it was something else. It is in some ways a comfort to have a definite diagnosis and have a clearer picture of how to tackle my symptoms if/when they get worse again. 

I was more making the point about the impact diagnosis has had on me personally, rather than a general comment about ageing. I was diagnosed with hypertension in 2009 and felt the same way. I'm trying not to feel downhearted about the prospect of having to think much more carefully about what I eat, in what quantities, how often etc.     

It has been awkward to reveal to a new employer and travelling to work on crowded tube trains knowing what might happen is hard. I definitely ate something yesterday my guts didn't like and today has been tough so far. It's not helped by the fact the steroids affect my appetite and lead me into temptation.  

Hello Angelica and welcome.  Lots of different topics for you to have a look at.  Hope you enjoy the forum.

Indeed! I've enjoying to read posts here which are of the same interest as me. Thank you!

I feel like every time I come back to BGO I ought to post something on this thread to explain yet another extended absence from the board. It really isn't anything personal, just a bit too much real life.

What's kept me away this time? A few things, illness chief among them. I have been suffering from increasingly severe digestive problems since the summer and was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis last month, an inflammatory bowel disease. I am on a fairly aggressive course of medication to deal with this. You know it is serious when one drug I've been prescribed is to counteract the side effects of one of the others.

I have had similar symptoms in the past but it was assumed, by me and the experts, to be stress related rather than an actual disease. The steroids have meant my symptoms are in remission, although the process has been frustratingly slow, and I have been warned to expect flare ups in the future. It is another wake up call that I am reaching the stage in life where my body is starting to let me down and I need to look after myself.

The result has been months of broken nights - a return to when Edgar was newborn - and I've lost 3 stone in weight. You wouldn't want to go on this diet, though. The side effect of that, from a reading point of view, has been tiredness and struggling to concentrate; an attempt to read Steven Pinker's How the Mind Works was abandoned after a few days. Embarking on A Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones) has been more at the level I am able to cope with, and I am almost at the end of volume 2.

What else is going on? Our house is on the market. Having decided it is too big and expensive for our needs, we are downsizing with a view to moving out of London to Brighton, where we have friends and have loved visiting for years. Lady L grew up by the sea and has always wanted to go back, and the kids seem keen too.

The commute to London will be an issue for me, as the third thing keeping me away is a new job, starting this week. I have left food retail behind and have joined the charitable sector. Every organization has a supply chain of some sort, some of which are poorly managed so I've been hired as something of a new broom by my new employers to bring some best practice in learned from former employers. I have an almost blank sheet of paper and this should be very different from previous roles. I am now based in central London rather than the wilds of Hertfordshire, which is different too.

And that's all without the home educating and the perils of having a nearly "threenager" in the house!!

Anyway, with my mod hat on, hope you have all been behaving and hopefully I'll get to "see" more of you again now.                  

Prayers and thoughts. Hope you get well soon.

The commute to London will be an issue for me...               

Especially with Southern Fail's service.

Nice part of the country though...

Especially with Southern Fail's service.

Nice part of the country though...

I'm very much hoping the strikes which have plagued this route all year are a temporary feature. My new boss comes from that direction, and it all sounds as if it has been pretty horrid...