Hello senSEYtional, welcome to BGO, what kind of books do you read?  2000 e-books is a lot.  I hope you enjoy your time here, have a look around at the various subjects, there's lots to look at.

I usually read non-fiction because I got tired of fiction best-sellers. They can really mess up your mind (positive or negative) though I enjoyed them a lot. MALCOLM GLADWELL is the best!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Hello, you might remember me, I am one of the site's moderators. Unfortunately, my continuing busy life means that this is the first time I've logged on since the end of November. Bad mod!

Hello, I'm afraid my absence has been even longer this time around. From what I can tell, before today the last time I logged in was August. I will be trying to get back more often, but life has been getting in the way as it is wont to do. I have been reading lots though :).

As those of you who are my Facebook friends will know, my son is growing up rapidly (he's 2 next month - how did that happen?). One big change has been the decision to take my step-daughter out of school to home educate her. This wasn't because school was especially problematic, more because of an increasing scepticism about school providing the best education. It has been challenging and a lot of work, but it is bringing its rewards. It involves quite a mindset change about what education actually is. One of our now lapsed members did the same a few years ago; I wish he'd come back and tell us how he got on. 

Lovely to see you here again Gram.  My, how time flies too. Cannot believe your son is 2 years old soon. 

I admire your commitment to home educate your step-daughter.  Presumably your son will be joining in that too.  Having two very young granddaughters (5 and 3) I know that they absorb knowledge very quickly at quite an early age and are very hungry for knowledge.  I'm sure our sons did too, but it seems such a long time ago that I've forgotten just how hungry they were for knowledge at that age.  I have very strong views on state education - for lots of reasons it does not suit every child.  Hope it all goes well for you all. 

Hey whipsy! This is a really great place to be! If you don't find what you're looking for, ask around. It's probably here. Look forward to reading your posts.

• 3 months later...

Welcome paola :)

Best of look on studying English.

A suggestion I've seen about improving language is to reread books that you already read in your own language.

I've been meaning to use this to brush up On my German but haven't yet :(

• 4 months later...

Hi I'm Mick from Bristol, UK. I love reading anything, historical, non-fiction and autobiographies. I don't pretend to read fast 30-40 pages an hour if usually about my average and I can usually spare around 2 hours a day. As my age progresses I am beginning to realise that I may not get through all the books I want to in my lifetime. I do admire people that can read a lot faster than me and who can read hundreds of books a year. Wish I could.

Welcome to the board Mick. I too having faster reading aspirations and finding that I might not read all the books I want to in my lifetime. However, I have just discovered that I will be able to read my TBR (Too Be Read) within my lifetime so I'm not too concerend.

A group read is about to start so please feel free to join in if you can. It's an informal one and I'm the only one who has started reading the book, Wuthering Heights.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

I have read the first few pages of WH after scanning through the long analysis in the e-book and obviously must not have been fully engaged as I had to look back to see who the narrator was. Hopefully I'll pay more attention to the book contents. ????

Edited by momac

Welcome to BGO Mick745.  Hope you are having a good look round the site.  I am sure you will find lots to interest you and maybe tempt you to try something new.  For me that is what is the great thing about a group of readers - there's always a new author or title you discover you might never have know about but for seeing it on here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, I decided to join a book forum because ever since I was a young child I have always loved reading!

I have just finished reading 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood, and I am currently reading 'The Birthday Party' by Harold Pinter.

My taste in books varies from classics such as 'Frankenstein' to more modern books like 'The Bees' by Laline Paull

I usually go through bouts of reading a lot then not reading much at all, however my English Literature course forces me to read lots of novels, plays and poetry so I read more often now.

A more personal introduction: I have 2 black cats and 1 black dog, I live in the North-Eastern area of the UK and I hope to move to Scotland one day!

Welcome to BGO Lemlest, I hope that you are enjoying your course. I've seen you join in the Oryx and Crake thread and that's the way to go. Jump in anywhere you like and don't be afraid to comment on an old thread, we like to revive old conversations as well. Also feel free to start your own thread.