Bill

Introduce Yourself

We are welcoming a lot of new members at the moment, so if you have just joined, why not introduce yourself here? Tell us a little bit about yourself, what you like reading, and if you have any questions about the site, ask away.

I'm sure our existing members will want to wish you all a warm welcome, and will be happy to answer any queries. Yes, it is a large site, with lots of forums, but it doesn't take long to find your way around. And it means there's a lot there to get your teeth into.

Hello!

Learned of this website through the Culture magazine of The Sunday Times. I am currently reading Alain de Botton's Status Anxiety which i find very calming and enlightening. I'm a huge fan of such writers as Ann Tyler,Ian McEwan,Jane Hamilton, and Donna Tartt.

Hello All!

I just found this site after reading about it in the Sunday Times. I have often wanted to be in a book group but the situation where I live is not conducive to it.

I am originally from the US but moved to Northern Ireland several years ago so am just getting to know some of the homegrown talent on this side of the pond.

I will, basically, read just about anything (it has been noted that I even read the labels on sauce bottles on a restaurant table if nothing better is at hand) but I do have a love of 'classic' novels and a total addiction to fantasy and science fiction. I love the Darkover novels by Marion Zimmer Bradley, the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey and all of Isaac Asimov's work.

Also, I am a loyal follower of Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone Alphabet Mysteries!

I am looking forward to spending time here with fellow book lovers!

ChrisG

Hi all

I am currently living just outside Liverpool, and studying (as a mature student) Film and writing studies.

Always loved books, and I am currently reading Time travellers wife, Raymond Carver's Cathedral, in between reading for college. Actually should be writing a short story myself as the moment.

I am an Italian living in Cairo and just joined after reading the Sunday Times Culture magazine. I love reading and miss the sharing and discussions I used to have with friends. I read mostly English and American literature but also love French, Russian and Italian books and poetry. The last book I have loved is Quicksilver and the last I read is Bill Bryson's History of nearly everything. I am very opinionated about books and care about what I read.

Hi, my name is David and I am an alcoh- ...ah no, that was another group. Just joined up and thought I'd accept the invitation to introduce myself. I read about this group in The Sun. Oh, sorry, that should be The Sunday Times Culture Magazine, I think.

Been meaning to join a Reading Group for ages, but in this particularly wintry weather it seems a lot more civilised to sit in a cosy chair with a laptop rather than brave the journey to another venue. Now if only I'd remembered to buy a cat and some slippers.

I took an English degree and was an English teacher for some years so reading is somewhat in the blood! It means I have quite a taste for the classics, too, in particular Charles Dickens. Other favourites - old and new - include Thomas Hardy, Jane Austen, William Golding, Ian McEwan, Peter Ackroyd, Terry Pratchett, Iain Banks - heck, that's enough to be getting on with! The Romantics are my favourite poets, especially Shelley. Shakespeare simply goes without saying.

The most recent read to blow me away was Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things. This was a spellbinding achievement, with exceptional emotional sensitivity, a stunningly interwoven plot and a markedly original written style. Well worth your time if you haven't read it yet.

I look forward to chatting more with everyone! ;)

Hello - I'm from Dublin, Rep. of Ireland & also read about this site in the Culture section of the Sunday Times.

Just finished Madame Bovary & The Jane Austen Book Club and just started Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton. I really like his work - particularly the Consolations of Philosophy (a subject I studied at uni); also The Art of Travel which is really interesting to read when you are travelling on holidays anywhere :)

Looking forward to reading lots of diverse opinions on the books I read in the future !

;) murphs

We are welcoming a lot of new members at the moment, so if you have just joined, why not introduce yourself here? Tell us a little bit about yourself, what you like reading, and if you have any questions about the site, ask away.

I'm sure our existing members will want to wish you all a warm welcome, and will be happy to answer any queries. Yes, it is a large site, with lots of forums, but it doesn't take long to find your way around. And it means there's a lot there to get your teeth into.

Hi,

after seeing your nane mentioned in an article in the Scotsman this morning I thought this outfit was made for me. I would describe myself as a voracious reader of crime and mystery books over the past forty years. L am a cabbie in Edinburgh, Scotland for over fifteen years during reading has helped to keep me reasonably sane during this time!

Writing as someone who joined BGO in the first week, I have to say the site gets better and better - it is so diverse and I have already read books I would never have heard of. Not to mention the fun of the Anything but books thread. Great to have so many interesting new members.

Hi all,

I'm another bookworm arrived via The Times article - I've never been a frequent poster to any web forum but hope to participate where I can. :)

As far as current reading, I've just started on Glamorama by Bret Easton Ellis and Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

Like a few other people, I read about this book group in the Sunday Times Culture. I had been looking for an online group, and here it is. I love reading and will try most things. I have just finished "Himayala" by Michael Palin and am now reading his "Full Circle". I am dipping into "The Jane Austen Book Club", and have also just finished "The Wilt Alternative" by Tom Sharpe. I have a number of other books lined up to read - "The Time Travelers(sic!) Wife", to mention but one.

I am a busy mum living in Devon with 3 children ranging from 7 to 12, two great big hairy dogs, 3 cats and 5 chickens! Life is hectic, and my favourite escape route is through books. I am a little confused at the moment about whether the main reason for the group is discussion of books that we have already read, or whether books are being selected to be read and discussed.

I see that there have been some threads on this topic, but has there been a book chosen for March? I am keen! :)

donnae, you and everyone else are most heartily welcome.

I am a little confused at the moment about whether the main reason for the group is discussion of books that we have already read, or whether books are being selected to be read and discussed.

Think of this as a book discussion forum first and foremost, but which include forums for people to read and discuss books. Really, it can be anything its members want it to be.

No, a book hasn't been chosen for March yet. It is really up to members to pick up the ball and run with it, as it were, and set up a thread inviting suggestions for books to be read. Then there can be a poll set up to decide on one.

There is also the Bookcrossing Book Club, which is open to anyone. They are currently discussing The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald, The Short History Of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson and The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch. A vote on the next books will be taking place shortly, I gather.

Am taking up the offer to introduce myself. I live on the South coast of England and have been an avid reader all my life. I am particularly interested in the work of Thomas Hardy, Jane Austen and Charles Dickens.

I also enjoy reading poetry especially Seamus Heaney and Philip Larkin. At the moment I am reading Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code which I am thorougly enjoying and would recommend. It is wonderful to have found this site and to share other readers opinions on books. The waiting list to join our local bookgroup is so long. It is always great to discover a book by an author you would not normally read but has been recommended by somebody else. Happy reading everyone!

I also read the article in the Culture Magazine and came along immediately to join up.

I live in Norwich, I'm registered with BookCrossing and also enjoy the company of a book group monthly. We have just finished reading Justin Cartwrights, the promise of happiness. I can easily get through a a couple of books a week, would love to read more but occassionally i have to stop and do a full days work in order to buy the books. Im reading Three Wishes by Liana Moriarty - its a good girly read, it has all the things we need - fun, laughter, sadness, tears, mother & men troubles...... I hope to get some great reading ideas from this group.

Hello all,

I came across this site whilst browsing on the internet for an online book group type thing and was really pleased to find it! I have a good look round and have already added some books onto my 'To Read' list so thanks!

At the moment I am reading 'Over Hill and Dale' by Gervase Phinn which I am really enjoying. I love reading, have done since I was a young nipper, and will read anything I can although at the moment it is tough to find the time. I read a lot of modern fiction but am attempting to read more of the classics that I bypassed in my younger days.

I look forward to chatting to you all, engaging in some good discussions and getting some inspiration!

Kel

xx

Hi There!

I am a 27 year old reader living in Essex. I have just finished Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser and about to read the Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I love reading(obviously!) really enjoy classics, crime novels, thrillers. Not usually in to romantic books but thought to give the Time Travelers Wife ago. Last books I have read have included:

The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Black Dogs by Ian McEwan

Out by Natsuo Kirino

Out of the Dark by Linda Caine and Robin Royston

Blue Key by Alice Hoffman

As well as reading I enjoy music, films and writing.

Another one via The Times!

Currently reading Boudica - Dreaming the Hound - last in the series, which I have really enjoyed.

Like all sorts of books - favourities are fantasy, horror & historical novels - but will give anything a go.

Hi everyone, my name is Rob, I'm 22 and I'm from Bradford, West Yorkshire. I currently work as a lackey for Marks and Spencers. I'm hoping to go to Leeds University in September to study English. I like reading George Orwell, Gabriel Garcia Marquez and John Steinbeck, amongst many others. Currently reading 'The Shadow of the Wind' and a biography of the Marx brothers. I am another who heard of this site from the Times, by the way!

Hi just joined. My name is Colin & I live in Lowestoft Suffolk. I ama gardener for Hopton Holiday Village. Just finished reading "Sir Elton" by Phillip Norman. followed by "Stephen Hawking a life in Science" by Michael White & John Gribbin. The latter was chosen after reading an article in "Readers Digest"

I read anyhting non fiction & fiction & I like biographies too.

Looking to join a reading club in my area.

CJ

I also joined up after the Sunday Times article, I have been unable to locate a local book club but looking at all the fascinating threads I think the site looks great,

I am 34 year old bloke living in South Manchester who loves to read. Sadly most of my reading is now done on holiday and I look forward to my pre holiday trip to the book shop as much as the actual holiday. Although I read in bed before sleeping every night the pressures of my business usually mean that I choose someting safe and well read-a Bill Bryson or a Nick Hornby.

My degree was in American Studies so I have a slight leaning towards modern American fiction but to be honest I will read almost anything although I am sadly ignorant of most 19th and early 20th century European literature.

I have entered my very arbitrary top 10 but favourite authors encompass Orwell to Blyton as well as historical fiction-Pippa Gregory, Sharon Penman, black comedy-Hiassen and Brookmyre, chick lit-love Marian Keyes and contempory gay fiction-Hollingworth, Maupin.

Anyway hope someone greets me!!!

Jon x

Consider yourself thoroughly greeted, Lambtiger - and everyone else who has posted here recently. :)

Bobby T - I shop in your store sometimes! Don't suppose you've ever heard any rumours of a Bradford based reading group/book club, have you?

Hello everyone. I have posted a few bits and bobs here before but never found this thread until I was helped along by the newsletter.

I'm Hilary, I'm 28. I live in Lancashire where it almost always rains and my husband and I have three smallish children, a boy of 6, a boy of 4 and a girl of 1.

This site was recommended to me by my sister, Claire.

I read a lot, and am a reasonably regular visitor to my local library. I have studied lots of books at school and university and with the OU and am pleased to find that after all that, I still enjoy reading books just for the fun of it. I'm also reading a lot of review books for my website http://www.christianmums.com and, way-hey, the publishers send them to me free - now how good is that!?

Consider yourself thoroughly greeted, Lambtiger - and everyone else who has posted here recently.

Bobby T - I shop in your store sometimes! Don't suppose you've ever heard any rumours of a Bradford based reading group/book club, have you?

Hi Claire! Ah, well, good old M&S - a purveyor of quality, service and value! Me and some of my friends are actually part of a book group - we meet fornightly in a pub in Bradford. However, it is not very serious and often our discussions turn into drunkeness; but if you'd like to join you are very welcome. Just let me know!

Bobby T