Costa

Do you get excited when you purchase/order a new book?

Even though my book is non-fiction, and this is a fiction forum, my question is still general to everyone who reads!

I ordered the book, 'Nicholas and Alexandra' by Robert K. Massie last week as I wanted to read more about a family that I was already really interested in, and I cant wait to read it now that I finally have it! As soon as I received the email this morning to say that it had been delivered to the store, I rushed there to pick it up!. I was so excited over the weekend waiting for the book to arrive in store, I felt like I was a kid again, too excited to get to sleep on Xmas- eve! (Hopefully it is not a 'heavy book' with lots of statistics, and vague or boring information). 

Question to all: Do you get excited when you order/purchase a new book? Or when you are coming to the end of  your current book that you are reading, and start thinking about the new book that you are going to purchase and read? Hopefully it isn't just me! :0

It really depends on what the book is. Usually my reading list is so long that I can't get too excited because I don't like messing up my order and want to read the books I had planned first....

Don't really get too excited over books now, I get a little worried if I see my list of books waiting to be read on my Kindle getting lower and there are always a couple that when I start reading I know I don't want to continue so I don't ever want to run out of reading material.  But after saying that Amazon.ca is just a couple of strokes of the keys away from getting something else to read an they'll never run out of thrillers and mysteries.  :)

I do. I love choosing books and take a great deal of time making my decision. I usually get them delivered to the house and generally can't wait until they arrive. Once here I keep them until I'm ready to read them, satisfied in the knowledge that they are waiting for me. When I'm coming to the end of my current read I'm all a-flutter thinking about what will be next. My latest is a maths book so that I can teach myself to count

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Me too. I am eternally optimistic that my new book will turn out to be wonderful, and I look forward to what's next as I reach the end.

I have a big TBR pile, and choosing my next read from that pile is one of life's greatest pleasures.

Me too. I am eternally optimistic that my new book will turn out to be wonderful, and I look forward to what's next as I reach the end.

I have a big TBR pile, and choosing my next read from that pile is one of life's greatest pleasures.

Same here, although I have had a cull of Mount TBR in recent months and am trying to be really disciplined about adding replacements for the books that have gone. I've surprised myself by largely succeeding as well...   

Not really when I order books online, usually my biggest reason when ordering online is that my brother wanted something and asked me and the book brings it up to free postage.

What I do look forward to is going to Dublin and sifting through a bookshop to find something, I look forward to that immensely

I also start looking forward to a book when I remove it from the tbr shelf and put on the stool to be read next, that is when the anticipation for me starts, when i've decided to start it next :)

I get a thrill each time I choose my next book. I'm generally eyeing it up just as I come to the end of my current one, so there is the feeling of being just a bit unfaithful to the one I am with. Gosh, I sound nuts  :scratchhe

This is me exactly. 

I think there has to be an element of excitement, as something has drawn you to that particular book enough to make you want to part with your money and get it, whether it be in a trip to a bookstore or online.  I think with the advent of ebooks that excitement has dwindled a bit as the building anticipation of waiting for it to arrive is not there, you see a book you like, it grabs your attention, you press a button and bingo there it is instantly with minimal effort, yes admittedly you have the book instantly if you go to a bookshop but you have to make the effort to go out and visit one in the first place, which builds a sense of anticipation (it does for me!)

I don't know about anyone else though, I have certain books which i don't mind reading as ebooks but wouldn't dream of buying them as an actual book, but then there are others where I like to have the physical book in my hand and that almost adds to the excitement as I know i will have to wait for it to arrive.

I do sometimes, especially if it's a favourite author or the next in a series I really like.

Of course! I'm longing to read the new Kate Atkinson and Patrick Gale and if I chance on a series I really like, such as Anne Cleeves' Shetland series I can't wait to get my hands on the next one. As for a good bookshop....