Can you recommend me Historical fiction books?

Hopefully this is the right place to ask as there were not many other threads in relation to this.

I really like history. I am going to read some non-fiction books (that can be interesting), but I have a feeling that Historical fictionbooks are more fun and gripping? More of a 'cant put it down' book collection as opposed to non-fiction (although I am most likely wrong). There are so many historical fiction books out there that look great (lots of reviews), such as 'Wars of the Roses' by Conn Iggulden, ones by Bernard Cornwell (more medieval). How does one find the great books to read, that are set in different eras? I have no knowledge of the good ones, so is there a list I can be recommended to read as I am new to this genre.

Thanks you,! :)

Costa

Now that I come to think of it I have read two books that are classed as fiction because not everything in them is fact.  I'll explain.  This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson is classed as fiction because the author could not bear to write about what really happened to one of the men in the book.  The rest of it - people, places what happened - is absolutely true.  It's about Robert Fitzroy and Charles Darwin and their voyage on the Beagle and how Darwin came to formulate the Theory of Evolution.  The other one is Das Boot by Lothar Gunther Buchheim which is a true account of what happened on board a German u-boat during the second world war.  This is classed as fiction because the people written about did not exist but everything else was true.

I've read them both and they are very good indeed.

I wonder if those might interest you, Costa?

It really depends what you love most...and how much fiction you want.

Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

historical murder mystery set in a 14th century Italian Monastery.

Hilary Mantell's Wolf Hall books are excellent if Henry viii is your thing, and other than Bernard Cornwell, most of what I read is much more historical fantasy....

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I forgot to mention, I would like to read historical war fiction haha. Anything thats really popular from a certain era e.g medieval, or civil mar, or ww1/2. Apologies if I am not making sense here, I guess I could just find some reviews online and buy them

Edit: Although ones you recommended do still sound interesting so thank you !

Edited by Costa

Some ideas that come to mind

For world war 2

Borders by Roy Jacobsen with settings both on the western and eastern front deals with neue Deutsche conscripts to the German army from Belgium and Luxembourg, one of which pretending to be blind since Stalingrad.

The Mussolini canal by Antonio pennacchi, not entirely war novel but war does play a part in it. The family in the saga are Blackshirts and covers roughly a century of Italian history. I loved the narrative style.

For world war 1

The red collar by Jean Christophe rufin, in this the main character a ww1 hero is arrested after a memorial day event.

There is also "while the gods were sleeping" by Erwin Mortimer about a Belgian family who are caught on the French side of the franco-belge border when war breaks out.

Edited by iff

Norman Mailer - The Naked & The Dead

Michael Ondaatje - The English Patient

C J Sansom - Winter in Madrid

Robert Radcliffe - Under an English Heaven & Dambuster & Across the Blood Red Sky

Thomas Keneally - Schindler's Ark (list)

Vasily Grossman - Life and Fate

Leo Tolstoy - War & Peace

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By sasireader21
      If you could meet any character from any book, who would you get to know? I would love to chat with Hermione Granger from Harry Potter; I feel as though she would have interesting stories and that we could relate to each other easily.
    • By Rod Beecham
      Dear BGO Members,

I write to draw your attention to my eBook, ‘The Evidence of Our Senses’: Language, Belief and Britain’s Great War.    The book is the product of a student of English literature whose interest, in postgraduate years, turned more specifically to history and the relationships between language, patterns of thought and decision-making.   The book examines the confection of a British sense of national identity during the second half of the nineteenth century and relates this to the illogicality and irrationality of the British decision to intervene in the European war that broke out in 1914. It examines the language of English poetry of the war, avoiding the sterile labels of ‘pro-‘ and ‘anti-‘ war verse. It gives the most thorough account to date of Siegfried Sassoon’s 1917 protest against the war’s continuation, demonstrating that the incoherence of that protest is attributable to the incoherence of the war itself (i.e. there was nothing identifiable against which to protest). It reviews British military conduct of the war, demonstrating that the shortcomings of senior British commanders are attributable to their subscription to the meretricious value-system confected in the nineteenth century. It reviews the Treaty of Versailles, confirming both that the Treaty was an improvisation and that the tenets of economic orthodoxy are fundamentally incompatible with a world-view that accepts the possibility of war. It reviews the factitious ‘war-books’ controversy of 1930 and indicates that latter-day attempts to attribute negative British perceptions of the First World War to the influence of a handful of literary works are recrudescences of the mind-set that created the war itself. In this sense, the book is an allegory of the contemporary Zeitgeist.   An earlier version of Chapter One appeared as, ‘Confecting a British Identity’, in The New Nationalism and the First World War, ed. Lawrence Rosenthal and Vesna Rodic (Basingstoke and New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015), pp. 19-46. An earlier version of Chapter Three was delivered as the paper, ‘Gesture and experience in “patriotic” and “anti-war” poetry’, at the English Association Conference, ‘British Poetry of the First World War’, at Wadham College, Oxford in September 2014. An earlier version of Chapter Seven appeared as, ‘Fiction and Memoir of Britain’s Great War: disillusioned or disparate?’, in the European Review of History: Revue européenne d’histoire, 22:5, 791-813.   In an age of ‘fake news’ and labyrinthine relativism, I believe my book is extremely important. At the very least, it could start a discussion about the nature of truth and how we are to establish it. I think that is a discussion we need to have.  
      I hope I have not committed a solecism by advertising my work here.  Of course, I hope that people will be interested in my book, but I understand that advertisements can be irritating!

Kindest regards,

Rod Beecham
    • By BookishThings
      We all have baggage. Real friends help you carry it.

It’s 1983 in Boscobel, Wisconsin, in the southwestern corner of the state, known as the Driftless Area. Ellis Sayre is different. He’s a twelve year old orphaned Native American. His adoptive parents lost a son a few years ago and welcomed him to deal with their grief. While stealing day-old bread for a friend in need, Ellis and his two best friends—George and Mason—witness a murder by a local kingpin. Authorities disagree with their story. They call it made up. The boys are trapped, worried for their lives, sending them on a flight to Grandad’s Bluff in La Crosse, WI, along the Mississippi River. Two peripheral stories about Ellis Abbot—a World War II veteran, and Two Right Feet—an orphaned Native American during early 1800’s, are entwined to unearth Ellis Sayre’s roots. They combine to tell the truth.

- I really enjoyed this book, there was mystery, there was confusion, there were surprises and there was a heartwarming account of friendship and what it is to be there for someone. It's brilliant and especially cosy to read this time of year! 
    • By thefeels96
      So I have compiled together a list of amazing novels with brief summary in the video below. Let me know what you think about these novels  Have you read any of them? have u seen the movie? Did you like them? thanks