Siddhartha

Set in India, Siddhartha is the story of a young Brahmin's search for ultimate reality after meeting with the Buddha. His quest takes him from a life of decadence to asceticism, from the illusory joys of sensual love with a beautiful courtesan, and of wealth and fame, to the painful struggles with his son and the ultimate wisdom of renunciation. - taken from the review on Amazon

The book is short and I enjoyed it but I didn't see anything deep and meaninful in this work, which is probably my fault.

Recommended.

Set in India, Siddhartha is the story of a young Brahmin's search for ultimate reality after meeting with the Buddha. His quest takes him from a life of decadence to asceticism, from the illusory joys of sensual love with a beautiful courtesan, and of wealth and fame, to the painful struggles with his son and the ultimate wisdom of renunciation. - taken from the review on Amazon

The book is short and I enjoyed it but I didn't see anything deep and meaninful in this work, which is probably my fault.

Recommended.

I would say that 'fault' was too strong of a word, Luna. Choice or inclination would, IMO, be more accurate. Whether this book will 'ring the bell', or not, is purely dependent on how receptive the reader is to the idea that there is no intrinsic meaning to be found here, that this world is a place for existence, not essence. And that our essence can never be found in this separated thing we call a self. 40 years ago when I read this book, shortly after reading The Snow Leopard by Peter Mathiessen and The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra, the combination of the three knocked the legs out from under my Weltanshauung, and these ideas have informed my thinking ever since. But, it must be said, apparently I was inclined to choose these books because I was predisposed to the ideas therein.

I read Siddhartha when I was in my late 20's - I was into all sorts of mystical writing at that time, looking at all the various philosophies, had a friend who was a Zen follower and we had lots of coversations in that regard, don't know if anything stayed with me but I think I must have read almost all the philosophical books in our small community library 'looking for the anwer' and of course there really isn't one that fits everyone.  Still it was all interesting, now no longer searching just thinking it is what it is.  :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By lunababymoonchild
      Published in 1930 this is set in Medieval times and is about two men, Narcissus and Goldmund.  Narcissus struggles with becoming a monk and Goldmund starts off as his pupil but leaves to become what's termed as a wayfarer - someone who is homeless and travels a lot.

Both men come to terms with their chosen way of life and meet again, seeing much change in each other. Narcissus does not regret his life but Goldmund regrets his. 

This is beautifully written and absolutely absorbing. 

Recommended

• By Claire
      I bought this book with some birthday book tokens - looking for some big, fat novels that would take ages to read, and that would be different from anything I'd read before (no point spending tokens on something I'll finish in a day or two - I'll buy those sort of books second hand!)

It worked on both counts - a really strange book, and rather densely written, so 10 or so pages at a time was plenty, especially at the start while I was figuring out what was going on.

It's set a few centuries in the future, although there is no advanced technology at all, so it's certainly doesn't feel like sci-fi. It tells of a culture dedicated to the playing of "The Glass Bead Game" which is a kind of weird abstraction of all the arts and sciences, reduced to their essential patterns (yeah, I had to work hard to get a grip on that) We follow one extremely talented boy as he progresses up the hierarchy to the very top of this introverted, sheltered society, and what he finds when he got there.

I'd never even heard of this book, until I saw it in Waterstones, but a few days after I started reading it, I turned Radio 4 on and was surprised to find the very same book was being dramatised as the Classic Serial. (The first episode is still available on Listen Again for three more days...Classic Serial: The Glass Bead Game

Very strange, but rather readable and some very interesting ideas about how societies develop and interact with each other!

It was written in Germany, in the 1950s, and I'm just starting to wonder how that context shaped what was written.

Anyone else even heard of this, never mind read it!?
    • By lunababymoonchild
      From Amazon : At first sight Harry Haller seems a respectable, educated man. In reality he is the Steppenwolf: wild, strange, alienated from society and repulsed by the modern age. But as he is drawn into a series of dreamlike and sometimes savage encounters - accompanied by, among others, Mozart, Goethe and the bewitching Hermione - the misanthropic Haller discovers a higher truth, and the possibility of happiness. This blistering portrayal of a man who feels himself to be half-human and half-wolf was the bible of the 1960s counterculture, capturing the mood of a disaffected generation, and remains a haunting story of estrangement and redemption.

Could not have said it better myself.  I did feel the profundity in this book and very powerful it is too.  Beware though, the book makes clear that Haller is seriously considering suicide so if that could upset you don't read it.  Other than that, highly recommended.