Siddhartha

Set in India, Siddhartha is the story of a young Brahmin's search for ultimate reality after meeting with the Buddha. His quest takes him from a life of decadence to asceticism, from the illusory joys of sensual love with a beautiful courtesan, and of wealth and fame, to the painful struggles with his son and the ultimate wisdom of renunciation. - taken from the review on Amazon

The book is short and I enjoyed it but I didn't see anything deep and meaninful in this work, which is probably my fault.

Recommended.

Set in India, Siddhartha is the story of a young Brahmin's search for ultimate reality after meeting with the Buddha. His quest takes him from a life of decadence to asceticism, from the illusory joys of sensual love with a beautiful courtesan, and of wealth and fame, to the painful struggles with his son and the ultimate wisdom of renunciation. - taken from the review on Amazon

The book is short and I enjoyed it but I didn't see anything deep and meaninful in this work, which is probably my fault.

Recommended.

I would say that 'fault' was too strong of a word, Luna. Choice or inclination would, IMO, be more accurate. Whether this book will 'ring the bell', or not, is purely dependent on how receptive the reader is to the idea that there is no intrinsic meaning to be found here, that this world is a place for existence, not essence. And that our essence can never be found in this separated thing we call a self. 40 years ago when I read this book, shortly after reading The Snow Leopard by Peter Mathiessen and The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra, the combination of the three knocked the legs out from under my Weltanshauung, and these ideas have informed my thinking ever since. But, it must be said, apparently I was inclined to choose these books because I was predisposed to the ideas therein.

I read Siddhartha when I was in my late 20's - I was into all sorts of mystical writing at that time, looking at all the various philosophies, had a friend who was a Zen follower and we had lots of coversations in that regard, don't know if anything stayed with me but I think I must have read almost all the philosophical books in our small community library 'looking for the anwer' and of course there really isn't one that fits everyone.  Still it was all interesting, now no longer searching just thinking it is what it is.  :)