No Direction Home - Bob Dylan

ChrisG

I watched both parts of the programme and was very impressed. I thought Scorcese did a great job and really liked the fact that he did not use a voiceover - he just let the images speak for themselves. Also, it was great to see all the old footage with the musical parts running to their full course, not being faded out after 30 sec. or so, as in many "documentaries". As for Bob.... well, what can you say. A true one off with a wonderful gift for words. This is required viewing whether you are a fan or not. Genius in front of the camera and behind.

It was proper good wasn't it? More of that please, BBC! The only thing that was kind of odd was the way it ended, as if the motorbike crash and the 8years away from performing was a sort of 'conclusion' to his career, which it most clearly was not...very impressed that Scorsese got interviews out of him, after seeing the footage of the 'are you a poet or a singer' interviews from the 60s, so easy to see how that got on his nerves. There was still that guy (don't know who...) saying Dylan is channeling God through his music...no pressure!

I've seen him play twice, the most recent time the whole place was seated, which was totally rubbish! The crowd were the problem, not Bob though. Is it just me or is he utterly unreasonaly sexy, which as a 60 year old in heels should not be?! :eek: Maybe I've shared too much here.... :o

The all new Grauniad's rather sniffy TV review claimed the interview footage wasn't new - it was Dylan talking to his manager in 2000, hence the film's largely uncritical tone.

As a documentary it certainly looked impressive, so you've got to hand it to Scorsese, the boy done good.

I've only seen part one so far, I have the other half on old fashioned videotape so I'm going to reserve judgement for now (along with about 3 eps of "Lost" too, which, even after watching about 7 episodes, I still can't decide if it is genius or pants :confused: ).

I especially liked all the fans grumbling about him going electric. You just can't imagine something similar happening in music today.

Lost is as good as the X-files was before it went silly.

At the first Dylan concert I went to one of the people I was there with was still complaining about him going electric! Get over it people! My impression from the documentary was that there are still a lot of people in the folk music crowd who still feel that way.

Grammath - Lost is genius. I don't care that it isn't plausible. It's entertaining - which is what I look for when I turn on the TV.

I don't care a jot if "Lost" is plausible either. I don't think I'll be able to make up my mind until the end of the series and hopefully some of the numerous mysteries are answered. My opinion of it will probably depend on how they answered.

Cathy, I was a chronic "X-files" devotee, right to the bitter end. I love a good conspiracy theory, especially if the US government is involved.

Anyway, we're going off topic, so I'll shut up.

Psssst! Cathy,

. Is it just me or is he utterly unreasonaly sexy, which as a 60 year old in heels should not be?! :eek: Maybe I've shared too much here.... :o

It's not just you . Thank God I'm not the only one!

Yey! Although I may have had a glass or two of the vineyard's finest by that point, judging by my spelling and grammar!

I must seem incredibly shallow, I stopped watching the X files as soon as David *Drop Dead Gorgeous or at least I Thought so at the Time* Duchovny left. :rolleyes: