Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

The Professor- Charlotte Bronte

Nearly missed this one!

Radio4 (again) The Woman's Hour Serial.

Started today, The Professor, by Charlotte Bronte, in 10 parts. Weekdays 10.45am, repeated the same day at 7.45pm

And on 'Listen Again', thank goodness.

It's totally new to me, which is why I'm pleased to have this chance to hear it on the radio. If it sounds good I'll add it to The List of book I want to read.

I'm unlikely to get round to it otherwise

Synopsis from Amazon:

This is Charlotte Bronte's first novel, and is based on her own experiences in Brussels. The story is one of love and doubt as the hero, William Crimsworth, seeks his fortune as a teacher in Brussels and finds his love for Anglo-Swiss girl, Frances Henri, severely tested.

Synopsis from the Woman's Hour website:

The orphaned William Crimsworth is a young man who is distrustful, anxiously watchful, a prey to the gloom of "hypochondria", at once both passionate and repressed. He is, so he would like to think, the firm master of both his fortunes and his emotion. Eschewing his aristocratic background, he rejects aid from his mother's family - which he considers hypocritical and ruthless - and sets out to make his way in the world.

Based on her own experience of painfully unrequited love for the husband of her employer whilst a teacher in Brussels, Charlotte Brontë's prose paints William's desperation for love despite himself.

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

The first episode sees William orphaned and subsequently reared by the family who had rejected his mother for 'marrying into trade'

On finishing his education he rejects his uncle's offer of setting him up in The Church, and marrying one of his cousins. Instead he goes to find his estranged elder brother who is now a successful mill owner. Edward, who is a harsh man, gives William a three month trial at the mill, but refuses him accommodation in his mansion, and warns him off from talking with his sister in law.

Broadcast at the times mentioned in the OP, or available at any time before the next episode on Listen Again

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Cathy
      This is really a response to a query on the 'Introduce yourself board, from Megustaleer

Apparently , according to the postcolonialists Jane Eyre is all about anxiety over the loss of empire and the "degeneration" thought at the time to be caused by mixing with other races. There is a passage somewhere which suggests the woman in the attic is mixed race, and the whole thing with her being in the attic is sort of trying to repress the colonial thing. At least that's how I remember it from university.

But as I say on the other board, I don't believe this interpretation at all, and it really nearly spoiled Jane Eyre for me. I mean, Jane Eyre is an amazing Romance with a capital R, and as you may be able to tell from my username this is right up my street!

Thankfully, I am now coming to terms with the trauma and have been able to enjoy Jane Eyre again recently! Although I really, really wish I hadn't annotated my text (all be it very sarcastically) at uni.
    • By Cathy
      I'm 1/3 of the way through Vilette and really struggling to stay interested! Please tell me something is going to happen! (no spoilers please!) This novel (so far) seems to have no structure, and no reason for turning the page. Plus what is her problem with Catholics? Its like some in-joke for 19th century protestants and I just don't get it. Will reading it as 'trust the tale not the teller' make it better? How does that work exactly?

I'm so disappointed, Wuthering Heights is one of my favourites but this is just not doing it for me.
    • By Hilary
      There only seems to be a thread about this in regard to its being post-colonial or otherwise. It surely needs a more general thread?!

I've just started reading it these last few minutes. I have seen a play of it but am unsure whether I have actually read it before. I thought I had, but a few pages in and I'm still not sure.

(really troubled by the 'its' in my first sentence. I'm having an apostrophe wobble and can't decide where it should go. Someone will know, I am sure...)