Sign in to follow this  
Flingo

Suggestions please!

I am on a working party to help choose a shortlist for all our local teachers and librarians to read and vote on, to be put forward for the Carnegie Shortlist for 2006. (see http://www.carnegiegreenaway.org.uk/)

Has anyone read a great childrens or YA book that has been published this year, that you think would be worth considering?!

The criteria can be found at the above link too.

Thanks!

Just in case anyone is remotely interested we chose our short-list last week.

Of the successful novels, I had read and enjoyed:

The New Policeman - Kate Thompson (here)

Siberia - Ann Halam ( here)

Barkbelly - Cat Weatherill ( here)

Seeker - William Nicholson

I haven't read:

Secrets of the Fearless - Elizabeth Laird

Time Bomb - Nigel Hinton

White Darkness - Geraldine McCaughrean

Our reserve is:

Framed - Frank Cotrell Boyce (I enjoyed this too!)

I think I read in excess of 25 novels for this selection process - surprisingly hard going!!!!

Flingo,

I have been trying to get a copy of "Barkbelly" since I read your recomendation here some time ago. It seems impossible. I live in Ireland so maybe they didnt publish it here yet. I'm on the lookout and will let you know what my 7 year old son and I think.

Barkbelly is available on Amazon - do they have an Irish website - the UK link to buy is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0141381167/qid=1133648877/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-6048076-7596758

Due in paperback in April - so will be available for you soon, if not already!

Let me know what you think if you get hold of it!!!

Flingo, thanks for info and link. Will get back to you when we have read it . By the way, I do appreciate all yor kid's recommendations - it's not always easy to chose books for a child who really needs to be encouraged to read. All your reviews help!

Rescued Replies

Flingo 4th February 2006 02:39 PM

We have the selection meeting next week, so I am reading the last few that I hadn't read at the moment. I will post reviews as I go along.

Hazel 4th February 2006 07:31 PM

Sorry Flingo, I never noticed this thread first time round. Good choices though, I love reading Children/Young Adult novels. Meg Rosoff's was a particularly brilliant one. My personal favourites though are the Lemony Snicket series. I have these on my Amazon wishlist though -

The New Policeman - Kate Thompson

White Darkness - Geraldine McCaughrean

Flingo 4th February 2006 07:40 PM

There is a thread for the New Policeman - I loved it! I will be adding one for White Darkness when I read it at the beginning of next week. When you have read them, I'd love to see know what you think, Hazel.

Edited to say - done, there is now a review.

Flingo 13th February 2006 07:48 PM

Last post on this subject, I promise!

I thought you might like to know how the 70 people attending the day voted. Each person casts 2 votes for their favourite book, and one vote for their second favourite.

Secrets of the Fearless - Elizabeth Laird = 9 points

Barkbelly - Cat Weatherill = 11 points ( :( )

Siberia - Ann Halam = 11 points

Seeker - William Nicholson = 18 points

Time Bomb - Nigel Hinton = 27 points

White Darkness - Geraldine McCaughrean = 50 points

The New Policeman - Kate Thompson = 81 points ( :) )

Some of the results I was more happy with than others - as I am sure you will tell from my comments in the books section! On the day, we were in groups of 8 - one group leader and the other 7 of us each championing a book. We did a mini vote in our group, and amazingly we gave 9 points to Seeker, so half his votes came from us!

The end.