Dan

What's next on Mt TBR

The what I will read next stool has 3 novels on it now

The vegetarian - han kang

a small circus - hans fallada

The bricks that built the houses - Kate tempest (yesterday i also got myself a ticket for her Dublin gig in November :) )

Up next on my Mt TBR:

Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk

The Rocking Chair/Old Water - Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Herzog - Saul Bellow

The Year Of The Flood - Margaret Atwood

Welcome to BGO, Lemlest! Let me know when you start Herzog and I'll read (and discuss) it with you. I've read some Bellow before, but not this one. Really loved his novel Henderson, the Rain King!

Is anyone interested in reading any of these anytime soon?;

Lacuna- Barbara Kingsolver

Motherless Brooklynn- Jonathan Lethem

Sweet Tooth; Saturday; or Black Dogs-Ian McEwan

A Tale for the Time Being-Ruth Ozeki

Mason & Dixon-Thomas Pynchon

The Moor's Last Sigh-Salman Rushdie

Something, anything by Kurt Vonnegut- I think I've read every thing by him already but am going to start re-reading them

Back to Blood-Tom Wolfe

I have A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki and I think three books by Kurt Vonnegut to read

I have A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki and I think three books by Kurt Vonnegut to read

Cool, Clavain! Let me know which and when you start one and we'll read it together. Maybe do Ozeki's book and a Vonnegut?

I'm going to read an Ian McEwan book next. Either Saturday or Black Dogs or Sweet Tooth. Anyone wish to join me?

My Mount TBR is a trembling, teetering thing.  These are the books I have my eye on for plucking out in the near future:

Vanished Years by Rupert Everett

Stoner by John Williams

The Charioteer by Mary Renault

Howards End by E.M. Forster

Four Steps by Wendy Hudson

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

Come November/December, it's going to be all murder mysteries, because that's how I roll.  Christmas = murder!  :D

On 20/08/2016 at 13:10, iff said:

The what I will read next stool has 3 novels on it now

The vegetarian - han kang

a small circus - hans fallada

The bricks that built the houses - Kate tempest (yesterday i also got myself a ticket for her Dublin gig in November :) )

Did you get to read - A small Circus  - by Fallada?

I’ve read two of his books  - Alone in Berlin and Nightmare in Berlin. The next book I’m thinking of getting of his, is, Wolf among Wolves.

I like his writing style. 

Mount TBR, Base Camp ⛺️ 

Next books that I really need to chip away at the hardback TBRs are

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka

Dying in the Wool by Frances Brody  

A duty to the dead by Charles Todd 

The Far Pavilions by M. M. Kaye (958 pages!)

The Tartar Steppe - D. Buzzati

The Idiot - Dostoevsky 

Ben Hur - Wallace

Villette - C. Bronté

Bleak House - Dickens. ( 3rd attempt 😀) For some reason I keep starting it, then putting it down. By the time I pick it up again, I have to start from the beginning  because I’ve  forgotten all the characters names - there are so many!  Think I’ll save it for Christmas.

Edited by Loretta

On 15/08/2018 at 21:44, Loretta said:

Did you get to read - A small Circus  - by Fallada?

I’ve read two of his books  - Alone in Berlin and Nightmare in Berlin. The next book I’m thinking of getting of his, is, Wolf among Wolves.

I like his writing style. 

I really liked it, I did a review here

He's a very good author.

On 17/08/2018 at 23:21, iff said:

I really liked it, I did a review here

He's a very good author.

Thanks, Interesting review  I might add it to my TBR pile after Wolf among Wolves.

Edited by Loretta

I've got a lot of books to choose between. My next one will be a novel as I'm reading non-fiction at the moment. I'm thinking I'll go with The Hired Man by Aminatta Forna, which I believe is set in Croatia - im keen to read it, having been to Croatia some years ago and not having read any other books set in that country (as far as I can remember). I have over 80 novels/fiction books to read but im currently thinking ill go with The Hired Man, as its the only one I have that is particularly tall, so it sticks out on my bookshelf lol I know, what a random reason(!) but there you go.

55 minutes ago, DawdlingPoet said:

I've got a lot of books to choose between. My next one will be a novel as I'm reading non-fiction at the moment. I'm thinking I'll go with The Hired Man by Aminatta Forna, which I believe is set in Croatia - im keen to read it, having been to Croatia some years ago and not having read any other books set in that country (as far as I can remember). I have over 80 novels/fiction books to read but im currently thinking ill go with The Hired Man, as its the only one I have that is particularly tall, so it sticks out on my bookshelf lol I know, what a random reason(!) but there you go.

Aminatta forna's latest happiness is the second on my list of to read next.

The next when I finish my current read is novel of a short-sighted adolscent by mircea eliade

Edited by iff

A few years ago I set myself a reading challenge when I turned 40 years old 40 for 40 challenge, my aim was to read 40 books in the year I turned 40.  in that year I managed to clear my TBR pile as I was frankly a bit of an amateur and didn't have a very extensive one, and since then I have tried hard not to rebuild another one, however since then with the advent of ebooks which I initially shied away from but have now embraced I seem to have a number of books sitting on there waiting to be read, as I seem to have no self control when Amazon send me special offer notifications on my phone (I have a kindle app on my phone) also since my daughter finished uni and moved away she seemed to offload all her extensive book collection back here and there are a number of her books which have taken my interest and I intend to read at some point, before she returns and reclaims them.

But my books waiting to be read at this point in time are (in no particular order):

1. Perfect Family by Shalini Boland

2. Love You Gone by Rona Halsall

3. The Diary by Vikki Patis

4. The Other Woman by Sandie Jones

5. The Memory by Lucy Dawson

6. What She Left by T R Richmond

7. Witness by Caroline Mitchell

8. Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

9. The Letter by Katheryn Hughes

10 In Her Shadow by Mark Edwards

11. While You Sleep by Stephanie Merritt

12, 13 and 14 The Feud, The Victim & The Traitor  A trilogy by Kimberly Chambers

Fourteen books in total isn't totally outrageous, in fact its probably quite pathetic when compared to other peoples TBR lists/piles bearing in mind I also have another book on pre-order which is due to be released some time in January - that is the final book in the Charley Davidson series of books.

Edited by Apple

I start the year with a reread always, this year it is a plot against america by Philip Roth (both in memory of roth and as HBO has commissioned a miniseries based on it)

My other books from tbr I have decided to read next are

Convenience store woman - sayaka murata

The orange groove - Larry Tremblay

My year of meats - Ruth ozeki

While I'll start as a home book for nonfiction beneath another sky by Norman Davies. I really liked his vanished kingdoms and another book of his was listed in the bibliography of the Ukrainian novel I read last year 

Edited by iff

My TBR is getting too big. So I'm going to tackle these, in no particular order (once I've finished the 4 that I'm cuurently reading).

The Day the Sun Dies - Yan Lianke

Solaris - Stanislaw Lem

The Argonauts - Maggie Nelson

Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman

And Another Thing - Eoin Colfer

The Star Diaries - Stanislaw Lem

Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman (before or after the tv series?)

Killing Comandatore - Haruki Murakami

The Perils of Perception - Bobby Duffy

The Children's War - JN Stroyar

A Change of Regime - JN Stroyar

Becoming Them - JN Stroyar