Pluto & Charon - The New Horizons spacecraft at the farthest worldly shores

Yes, I am still lurking around. After some hiatus, we have again produced an English-language book. This time it is quite a topical one, presenting the initial results of the New Horizons reconnaissance mission at Pluto and its moons as of spring 2016 (the German version was published in earle June, the English version I have released this morning). I have written the historical and geological sections, my wife, a university chemist, has discussed the chemistry of the soil and atmosphere of Pluto, and Dr Rainer Riemann, astrophysicist at the University of Heidelberg who is actively participating in several ESA space missions, has added his own preface.

The full-colour printed edition is available from Amazon or CreateSpace, the ebook edition via KDP Select:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pluto-Charon-Horizons-spacecraft-farthest/dp/1534960740/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467626622&sr=8-1&keywords=pluto+charon+codex

Not sure why the cover was not shown now?

51JTPZkv8-L._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Romanike
  • 3 weeks later...

It should be available now! And today, the kindle edition is available for free! But hurry, there are only a few hours left!

Got it. Thanks!

What a brilliant topic to be writing on. As a person of non-scientific bent, I am only now starting to get interested in space, possibly because of the advent of amazing photography, as well as all the space exploration activities of the moment.

Got it. Thanks!

momac, we await your in-depth review ... are you up to it? :)

Edited by Ting Mikyunyu

What a brilliant topic to be writing on. As a person of non-scientific bent, I am only now starting to get interested in space, possibly because of the advent of amazing photography, as well as all the space exploration activities of the moment.

momac, we await your in-depth review ... are you up to it? :)

Let me read it first and if I understand it I will be glad to share my 'astronomical' knowledge with you.   :lol:

Hi Ting:  Have read a bit of Pluto and Charron and it's about the spacecraft New Horizons which is investigating Pluto and Charron, really quite technical, at least to me, and the spacecraft has to go into 'sleep' mode for long periods of time as it isn't near enough to Pluto and Charron to take any measurements.  Reminds me of Alien where the people were put to sleep until they were near their destination except there aren't any humans aboard New Horizons, just instruments for measuring etc.  The people in charge of the program were asked if it was boring waiting until there was information available for them and they said it wasn't a problem as there was much to do.  Will read some more and find out what they discover on Pluto.

Did take an astronomy course at Uni, I was required to include a science subject and I took astronomy and geophysics which were touted as science for the non-science major.  Didn't continue with my degree as I was trying to do it as a night school course and had four young ones at home to look after at that time, really interesting though, failed miserably in the algebra part of it measuring the distances to a red giant or whatever else we were trying to measure so the heavens still remain a beautiful mystery! :rolleyes:

Loved your 'fun' suggestion on the A-Z thread about Moths of the Hebrides.  :D

Edited by momac

Hi Ting:  Have read a bit of Pluto and Charron and it's about the spacecraft New Horizons which is investigating Pluto and Charron, really quite technical, at least to me, and the spacecraft has to go into 'sleep' mode for long periods of time as it isn't near enough to Pluto and Charron to take any measurements.  Reminds me of Alien where the people were put to sleep until they were near their destination except there aren't any humans aboard New Horizons, just instruments for measuring etc.  The people in charge of the program were asked if it was boring waiting until there was information available for them and they said it wasn't a problem as there was much to do.  Will read some more and find out what they discover on Pluto.

Did take an astronomy course at Uni, I was required to include a science subject and I took astronomy and geophysics which were touted as science for the non-science major.  Didn't continue with my degree as I was trying to do it as a night school course and had four young ones at home to look after at that time, really interesting though, failed miserably in the algebra part of it measuring the distances to a red giant or whatever else we were trying to measure so the heavens still remain a beautiful mystery! :rolleyes:

Loved your 'fun' suggestion on the A-Z thread about Moths of the Hebrides.  :D

Great start to your review, momac. Maybe it'll bring back some of your astronomical learning.

By the way, I just googled moths of the Hebrides and this popped up. Enjoy!

http://www.western-isles-wildlife.com/macro_moth_photogallery.html