Interesting snippets of information I hadn't heard before.

Was reading a WWII story about the RAF and they were discussing the use of bouncing bombs when the information was tendered that Sir Francis Drake was the first to implement it in using cannonballs bounced off the water to disable enemy sailing ships, the cannonballs bounced upwards and destroyed the rigging of the other ship, sort of a stone skipping on the water effect.

Please add your snippets!

Edited by momac

I once got very wet after visiting St Michael's Mount, racing the tide across the causeway. We lost...

Good grief, sounds dangerous!

Incidentally, Mont Saint-Michel and St. Michael's Mount are the same name in different languages.

More incidentally, their similarity is purely coincidental. While Mont Saint-Michel was deliberately built on an island, St. Michael's Mount was raised above a forest that, one day, got swept away by a storm-tide, leaving the mount behind offshore, where it was never meant to be.

I knew this but itv4 just mentioned it

Andorra is a dual principality, the princes being the archbishop of urgell in northern Spain and the president of france

In the time prior to France being a republic, it had been the king of France since 1607, when the count of foix died and his title had passed to the king of France

• 2 weeks later...

Tetralogy is a compound work made of 4 distinct works although quadrilogy is also used

I looked it up as "the mandibles" by Lionel Shriver makes reference to "the Bourne trilogy"

I wonder if future editions will change it to either the Bourne tetralogy or Bourne quadrilogy?

Sunflowers 'track' from east to west during the daytime and re-orient themselves at night to begin facing east next morning. This is achieved by one side of the plant growing faster than the other, thus producing the lean. But this stops once the plant has flowered, when it remain upright because it stops growing. I heard this on BBC World Service this morning.

Sunflowers 'track' from east to west during the daytime and re-orient themselves at night to begin facing east next morning. This is achieved by one side of the plant growing faster than the other, thus producing the lean. But this stops once the plant has flowered, when it remain upright because it stops growing. I heard this on BBC World Service this morning.

Love it!

Whilst googling something very trivial I came across this bizarre factoid-During the Puritan reign in England, plum pudding was outlawed as "sinfully rich." Anyone know if this is true?

• 1 month later...

i think the puritans also banned christmas.

anyway, i was watching this ted video and political language by mark forsyth (author of 3 books the horoligican,the etymologicon and a third i think about lexicon). this was something he mentioned in it

It wasn't until, for example, 1771 that the British Parliament allowed newspapers to report the exact words that were said in the debating chamber. And this was actually all down to the bravery of a guy with the extraordinary name of Brass Crosby, who took on Parliament. And he was thrown into the Tower of London and imprisoned, but he was brave enough, he was brave enough to take them on, and in the end he had such popular support in London that he won. And it was only a few years later that we have the first recorded use of the phrase "as bold as brass." Most people think that's down to the metal. It's not. It's down to a campaigner for the freedom of the press.

Tetralogy is a compound work made of 4 distinct works although quadrilogy is also used

I looked it up as "the mandibles" by Lionel Shriver makes reference to "the Bourne trilogy"

I wonder if future editions will change it to either the Bourne tetralogy or Bourne quadrilogy?

And do they still count as part of the originals when Robert Ludlum is dead?

• 3 weeks later...

this came up in the introduction to the secret war by max hastings

the head of the czech intelligence agency in the mid 1930s set up a a day lending company in germany to target military and civil servants in germany with spies acting as the payday salespeople.

i kind of prefer the idea that they are spie rather than payday lenders, it seems a more respectable job choice.

though reading it, it kind of reminds me of a character in "a small circus" by hans fallada, categorised by the translator as a troublemaker. in the character list, he writes about "travelling in mineral oils and lubricants (or is it milking machines and centrifuges)"

Edited by iff

That's kind of interesting iff, seeing payday lenders less wholesome than spying, something to think about.   :)

This was supposed to be a reply to iff's post on Kaminski, I guess I didn't use the quote function.  :(

Edited by momac

And do they still count as part of the originals when Robert Ludlum is dead?

Eric Van Lustbader has extended the series to number 13.

I still think of the original bookes as the Bourne Trilogy and the latter ones as a series.

• 1 month later...

not a snippet of information but when walking around the old graveyard 2 km, this caught my eye

grave%20stone.jpg

i'm not sure what the writing means (the marking out of the name and town are just my consideration)

actually it is beside my great grandparents headstone and that was why i spotted it (in fairness i should have spotted it a lot earlier)

Edited by iff