Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

Pet Names

The first cat I ever owned was a beatiful black and white called Jemima (inspired by the Jemima Shaw (Shore?) TV programme starring Patricia Hodges). I had loads of nick-names for Jemima, including Nuke, Treddon and JTC.

Whenever I hear the name Jemima I always think of Jemima Puddle-Duck! So rather an odd name for a cat in my mind.... Although if I had a pet cat now I'd probably call it something like Rabbit, so I can't talk! :P

For me it's Play School; that's the pre-eminent Jemima in my mind. Of course, if anyone called their cat 'Hamble' it would be sack and canal time, I'm afraid.

"Schrodinger's Cat" - a (presumably less famous than I had supposed) theory to demonstrate a principle related to quantum mechanics. Involves similarly fatal consequences to felines as my earlier suggestion, though with the more noble motivation of advancing scientific understanding, as opposed to expunging hatred for satanic doll. It is also, thankfully, just as whimsically hypothetical. Have a look:

http://www.phobe.com/s_cat/s_cat.html

We've currently got 2 cats - Sprocket and Prentice. Prentice is named after the main character in 'The Crow Road'. As for Sprocket, it's nothing to do with The Fraggles, but because he's black and oily (some kind of mechanic thing going on there). Then we get on to the dog, Murray, named after Murray Walker...

Tell that to Schrodinger!

Schrodinger's cat being alive and dead at the same time reminds me of the horses with an infinite number of legs.

Everyone knows that horses have an even number of legs. They have forelegs and they have two at the back which makes six, which is an odd number of legs for a horse. Now the only number that is both odd and even at the same time is infinity. Therefore horses have an infinite number of legs.

Sorry, I don’t know the horses’ names. However my daughter once had a hamster called ‘Tottenhamster Hotspur’. Interesting loyalties for someone from ‘Manchamster’

And, of course, Mr Spock famously has three ears. The left ear, the right ear and the final front ear.

Not that he's a pet, naturally.

I just thought you'd like to know...

...ummm.

Mmmm....

Since I last posted here we have adopted two cats, a black/darkbrown one called Pepsi and an orange one called Tango.

Are there any more additions to our pet families whose names can be added here?

We have a cat called Ruby (named after the old lady who was her mom before me), three chickens called Rebecca, Jemima and Mrs Wilson, and my dad has just adopted a retired greyhound called Daisy. Rebecca is called Rebecca after one of the kids at my school, Jemima because she looks like a Jemima, and I have no idea where Mrs Wilson came from. MOH just took one look at her and that was her name!

Are there any more additions to our pet families whose names can be added here?

Yes, we acquired three kittens recently - Mia, Rose and Roxy. The dogs love them, and the 2-year-old cats are now used to them.

Yes, we acquired three kittens recently - Mia, Rose and Roxy. The dogs love them, and the 2-year-old cats are now used to them.

So how many members are there in your menagerie these days?

You say dogs, plural, but at your earlier post there was only Scamper extant What about Fudge? Guinea pigs aren't long lived, so presumably s/he is now departed? Any replacements?

Any stories about the naming of the new kittens?

OK, Meg, you did ask! The full run-down of pets is as follows:-

Scamper: 4 year old black male Tibetan Terrier (my wife had always wanted a dog called Scamper - quite recently she discovered that Enid Blyton's Secret 7 had a dog called Scamper, and she now realises that that's where the inspiration came from).

Dusty: 18 month old female white and black female Tibetan Terrier (she has black markings over both eyes, so was named (by me) after Dusty Springfield.

Bella: 2 1/2 year old black female short haired cat (named after a Tweeny).

Django: brother of Bella, 2 1/2 year old tabby male cat (named after a record by the Upsetters).

Tia: 4 month old black short haired female kitten (no idea where the name came from!).

Rose: 4 month old pale ginger long haired female kitten, sister of Tia and one of the most beautiful cats I have ever seen (named after character from Dr Who).

Roxy: 4 month old dark tabby long haired female kitten, sister of Tia and Rose (again, I don't remember where the name came from, but it was nothing to do with Chicago or Bryan Ferry).

The kittens are the offspring of a Ragdoll and a Maine Coon, but we do wonder about Tia, who is short-haired. All from the same litter, anyway!

Then there are 2 goldfish. I'm not sure of their names, to be honest, but I think they were named after characters from ScoobyDoo.

Fudge the guinea pig moved on to the Great Hutch in the Sky a couple of years ago.

Our gerbil (Speedy) is now 4 years old - must be a world record.

Since last post we have a 1+ year old black cat called Skyla (aka Dappy Blacky) who now has a 9 week old babe of her own called Micky, (aka Mixter( but he's off to a new home soon.

Harrison (aka Harry) the long-haired Persian remains at the top of the chain.

Whilst growing up each of the cats have shown great interest in the gerbil (the eldest of our furry residents) without it ever being violent with him. Once Micky started to climb he followed this course and would sit beside the cage peering in.

As a little aside, our gerbil cage has ended up falling on the floor on several occasions (for a variety of reasons) and is now pretty battered. (It hasn't done him much harm seeing as he's reached a ripe old age - in fact the occasional tumble onto the floor has made life more interesting I suspect...)

Anyway, he has one of these transparent tubes he can climb up and through that comes out of the cage itself, so there are a couple of holes in the top of the cage where the tube runs.

Now as the cage's condition has deteriorated the fittings that keep the tube in place on the cage have become a little loose and it doesn't take much for the tube to come unstuck from its mounting thus leaving a hole in the roof, as it were.

A couple of weeks ago Mrs RR came home, looked into the cage, and there was 6 week old kitten inside the cage staring at the gerbil who was quite contentedly staring back, the hole in the roof of the cage gaping open above them.

Surprisingly no harm done though we have made an effort to plug the hole up a little more securely.

(No point getting a new cage, he surely can't last much longer!)

There are 3 pet's in our family:-

Taz - an 8yr old Marbled Bengal cat (rescued)

Billybob - a 5 yr old Staffie x Jack Russell (my baby)

Piper - a 9 week old hamster (my daughter's although I am rather smitten with her).

I named my cat Raif after the character Raif Severance in Cavern of Black ICe because as a kitten he was hot tempered and always starting fights heehee :)

When Jess came along, my mother chose the name and it proved to suit her perfectly, though it always got lengthened to Jessie, particularly by me, and she had a number of pet names too, like 'pet' and 'chicken' (a particularly Irish term of endearment not anything to do with real chicken)

Tiger was more difficult to settle on. He was one of three brothers, the others of whom were named quickly (Kurt after Kurt Cobain, my brother's choice, and Indy, short for Independence Day because he was born on the seventh of July!), but it was a while before we named Tiger. We were going to call him Jet (because he was all black, but it was too close to Jess), then Mac (? no idea) and there was one or two more names in the running, but we finally settled on Tiger (after Tiger Woods - the Ryder Cup was on and my dad's a fan). Tiger gets shortened to Tiggy (by me), lengthened to Tigger (also by me) and changed completely to 'Boo' by my sister. He will answer to any and all of these names, but only when he wants to.