Football - Euro 2016

A concern with behaviour of the fans is the next world cup in 2018 will be held in russia.

I am taking a casual interest in it but too much cycling going on (tour of Switzerland and aviva women's tour) to take more of an interest

Like iff only a casual interest as tennis at Queens Club holding my interest. Also concerned about fan behaviour and glad that it's not Scottish fans showing us up (Scotland didn't qualify), although I do know that some Scottish fans have gone to France to see the tournament anyway. Not sure who they would be supporting but know it's not going to be England.

As I've said in 'What is everyone doing', in answer to Clavain on the subject, I am watching this avidly.  Although I love football, I have little choice since Mr. Bb is addicted to it.  

Nevertheless, it has been quite interesting if only for the unusual and unexpected results that have occurred.  I think that is what I like about this and the World Cup - teams come along that are not expected to do well at all and they surprise everyone, including the so-called pundits.  Some of this is due to the fact that they are a bit of an unknown quantity so the opposition is taken off guard and does not always know how to handle them.  I was fascinated to watch Iceland confuse and confound Portugal. Also to learn that about a tenth of the population of Iceland were actually at the game!  And no crowd trouble.  Last night I thought Albania were magnificent the way they thwarted France for almost all of the game.  It was sad that France scored twice at the end because Albania should have come away from that game with at least 1 point.

Having listened to a reporter on our local radio this morning who was in Lille yesterday, I am disgusted at a section of the English people there, who are called fans by the media but cannot possible be, whose behavior was totally out of order and asking for trouble.  They were told that policing in France was stricter than here and warned about not being provocative and yet a small section of the crowd just asks for the trouble that they get.  I am afraid that England's team may be asked to leave and frankly I think it is better if all those people came back home.  Sadly, the majority of supporters and fans and the team will lose out for the minority yet again.

Just got home after a wonderful night of England and Northern Ireland winning. 

Barblue I agree there is a small minority of fans that want to cause trouble.

My nephew is in France and having a drink singing songs and enjoying being  at a major tournament- what is wrong with that?

The Russian fans who are there to cause trouble should be ashamed and their government spokesperson punished for encouraging them.

Lets not allow idiots detract from a wonderful tournament and looking forward to some great football.

So far very impressed with Italy, Iceland but of course Ingerlannnnnd will win :)

Edited by Clavain

I think his behaviour throughout the tournament so far has been awful.  He just walks off after the game and does not acknowledge his team, his opponents or the fans.  Who does he think he is.  Ok, so usually he is a fabulous footballer with majestic ball control, but at this time he ha failed miserably and just cannot handle his own failure.Sad really.

I was sorry for Iceland and for Northern Ireland.  

No more feeling sorry for Iceland, Barblue.  What about the ecstatic shouting of their TV commentator when they won.    I know it's now been played over and over but excited what!  I've watched nearly all the games with Mr K.

Well maybe feel a little sorry for Iceland, they've got us next :). Been some great football and looking forward to the last 16 playoffs.

Would hope the BBC/ITV commentators are a bit like the Icelandic commentator, if we win the final :)

Watched a bit of Northern Ireland playing Germany and the part I watched the ball hardly ever made it anywhere near the German goal although it was still a 1 - 0 score at the end.  Maybe what I was seeing wasn't part of the current tourney as I was watching in a restaurant, no sound on.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Italy v. Germany game.  Can't believe that so many penalties were missed by both teams.  

I thought the Iceland team were magnificent to come back in the second half and score two goals ... and their supporters were fabulous.

Come on Wales! 

Been silent cause I'm still getting over how bad England were.

Iceland oot e hoot oo hott. :) Well done was cheering for you against France

Semi finals..

Portugal v Wales. Going neutral but will dance around like an idiot if they win.

Germany v France Hard choice but going to go uber alles

Great games especially tonight. Well played France and Griezmann just put his name in the worlds elite football players.

Portugal v France final. Got most predictions wrong but gonna go France.

Well done Clavain, got it right.  Have to say with all that possession Germany were probably the better team, but if they cannot score then .....

Looking forward to the final.  I hope France win if only because they are the host nation, but they need to play 90 minutes the way they played the first 20 last night.

I thought so too, but I am no expert. Seemed really conservative and kinda boring. Good story though, Portugal getting their first major after losing their best player early