:dance: Spoiler alert on the book Whispers by Aram Keledjian. :dance:

The author takes a crack at the vampire lore in his own way.  The writing style was impressive, but the way he changes the very essence of Vampire does not work for me 100 %.  The reason why I chose to write about this is because I read the book a second time, and as much as I want to love it, these key points are not sitting with me all that well.

:grumble:  :wonder:  :banghead: points to look at and discuss:

vampires have magic

they do have a soul

they come from another world, or at least their powers do

there are more than one type of vampire, traditional and the kind in Whispers

a demon or some crazy creature within like "naruto" 

vampires cannot fly

powers can combine and posses their own magical attributes, this blew my mind

:argue:  :beerchug:

Id like to get more minds involved on this.  Would this be something that takes away from the story, or is this something that you wouldn't mind as much as I do.

post-3193-0-42710600-1464738224_thumb.jpg

It really depends on how well it's done. In general I seldom have a problem with an author messing around with made up mythology, if it contributes to the story. The things you mention wouldn't bother me.

Can't help you on this one, don't read anything about vampires except the one we all had a go at and darned if the title doesn't escape me at the moment.  It was the Count Dracula one.  I did find it interesting and creepy but it wouldn't be a genre I'd follow.

The name of the book was Dracula, by Bram Stoker.  Looked it up because it was bothering me.   :rolleyes:

Edited by momac

:arms: Dan, its not that it didn't work, it actually worked really well.  My only issue is, I kept on thinking about the different factors every-time I came across them.   :tapedshut

:angeldevi Momac, thank you for that, Dracula in 1897 has an eerie vibe to it, I am sure it requires a particular taste.  However this Whispers book took a different direction than Dracula  :scared:   the story felt like a comic mixed with super hero and villain with a taste of horror, perhaps more of paranormal.

I wasn't thrilled about the comic relief, but im glad it was minor.  What are your thoughts about a story adding some sort of a relief but not sticking to it, like a transition sentence  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

I am always happy for comic relief. Having said that, there are certainly times when I feel like an author can't decide what kind of book they want to write, and that can be off putting. In general I most enjoy books with wisecracking dialogue, and clever and witty prose. Regardless of subject matter I always appreciate an author who doesn't take things extremely seriously. I like to see the pendulum swing, and the more horrifying or tragic the events the more I appreciate comic relief.

Dan, you and I are two peas in a pod.   :lmao: :lmao:  

When comic relief is done right, it serves a significant purpose to the book, elevates the dialogue and tempo.  But when done poorly, and many do so, it just catapults the book to the ground.  :yikes:

Hi Mark - welcome to BGO!

Do you have a connection to this book or the author? we're more than happy for authors or their family / friends to post about books over which they have sweated blood, but we like them to be honest about it, so if you do have a connection, don't be afraid to say - it will be welcome.

Either way, I hope we'll see you posting on other things you have enjoyed.

We seem to have two people both talking about the book Whispers, are they the same person or?

I think one was the author and the other is someone who has read the book, could be mistaken though?

Hi Minx! :flirt:  :flirt:  :flirt:   I was given a copy of this book by a friend who knows the author through a twitch :banana:  :banana: "stream" :banana:  :banana: his brother has.