Sign in to follow this  
megustaleer

Culled!

Before we moved house, knowing that our book shelving would be considerably less than we were used to, I disposed of many, many books.

Of my own 'personal' collection of paperback fiction I kept all those of my favourite authors, those I had particularly enjoyed in the past, and  most that I had not yet read (especially if I had actually gone to the trouble of requesting them as a swap on RiSi, or buying from Amazon).

Well. over the last couple of days we have unpacked all the boxes of books and distributed them around the sitting room and bedrooms. The only space I had for my paperback fiction was a three shelf bookcase in my bedroom.

I had sorted the books into piles alphabetically by author and yesterday evening I filled up two and a quarter shelves, and had only put away A-H. I could see that the remaining space wouldn't even hold my Ann Tyler & Rose Tremain books, so I had to do another serious cull.

This time, because these were going to be books I would miss, for one reason or another, I decided that I needed to keep a list of those being culled, and that is what this thread is about. It's a personal list, like the yearly Booklist, but I'm happy for anyone to post comments on the books I have chosen to cull, or to post their own list of departed books.

The Books:

Kate Atkinson 

Case Histories

One Good Turn

When Will There Be Good News?

Started Early, Took My Dog

James Baldwin

Tell Me How Long The Train's Been Gone

Giovanni's Room

Nina Bawden:

Death by The Sea

E.R. Braithwaite

Reluctant Neighbours

Joseph Conrad:

The Secret Agent

Monica Dickens:

Kate and Emma

No More Meadows

Alice Thomas Ellis:

Unexplained Laughter

The 27th Kingdom

Michel Faber:

Under The Skin

Jasper Fforde:

The Eyre Affair

Lost in a Good Book

The Well of Lost Plots

Something Rotten

Margaret Forster:

Diary of an Ordinary Wiman

Over

Ray French;

Going Under

Graham Winston

Marnie

Fortune is a Woman

Nathaniel Hawthorne

The Scarlet Letter

F.W.Hornung

Raffles

P.D. James

Shroud for a Nightingale

Unnatural Causes

Maggie O'Farrel

After You'd Gone

The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

Ian McEwan

The Child in Time

Arthur Morrison

A Child of the Jago

Hilary Mantel

Beyond Black

An Experiment in Love

Ellis Peters

A Rare Benedictine

A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs

Ruth Rendell

Talking to Strange Men

Live Flesh

The Keys to the Street

Phil Rickman

The Wine of Angels/Candlenight Omnibus

Peter Robinson

Bad Boy

Meg Rosoff

How I Live Now

Michael Sadler

Fanny By Gaslight

Dorothy L, Sayers

Five Red Herrings

Unnatural Death

The Documents in the Case

Muriel Spark

The Ballad of Peckham Rye

The Comforters

Memento Mori

Barbara Vine

Dark Adapted Eye

The House of Stairs

No Night is Too Long

H.G. Wells

Selected Short Stories

Patricia Wentworth

Grey Mask

Nigel Williams

They Came from SW19

Some hard choices you made there, Meg! A couple months ago , after my sweetheart forbid me to buy more bookshelves, or to buy more books which would just get stacked upon other books, I ruthlessly culled dozens and dozens of books from my shelves. Even went so far as to take a couple bags of them to the used book store to trade. They only took seven, and didn't give me much value for them. So I came home and boxed the remainder, roughly in alphabetical order, and stuck them in the attic. Hard to say goodbye to old friends

There were boxes of books in the attic of our last house. Mostly children's books, I think - the boxes went into a skip, unopened.

There's nothing going in this attic that isn't going to come down at least once a year ( the Christmas decorations and our suitcases). Definitely no boxes of books!

I have been culling my books as a result of cataloguing them. None that I'll miss. They went to a charity shop, the local bank - they have a small book shelf selling books for 50p which goes to charity - and the local library (33 hardback untouched but dusty children's classic fiction). I have realised that I have books all over the house, but most are in my bedroom. It's been a revealing but good experience and I am nearly finished. None of my books are in the loft and none of them are going into the loft. My father is now entertaining the idea of culling his books - substantially less than mine - and my brother clears out on a regular basis. I'm struggling to get rid of university text books that are 20 years old but at the very least I can take them to the local council recycling centre and can leave them there (I can just drop them off at the charity shop and let them deal with it but that would be immoral, imho). I'm determined that none of my books will be put in a skip but then none of my books are in boxes either and I don't have a 'moving into smaller property' time limit either.

I now know how large my TBR is and it's not as large as I thought and I can read them in my lifetime. I also have a lot less books than I thought, with a few coming as a surprise having forgotten that I had them.

Just a few stray books downstairs to catalogue/remove then it's the top shelf in my bedroom, so not far to go now.

Meg, are you entertaining the idea of an e-reader to replace your lost paper books?

Well there are still three shelves of paperback fiction in my bedroom.

There is one shelf of non-fiction paperbacks (mostly biographies) in the sitting room - as well as all the hardbacks, Mr meg has a bookcase full of tales of the sea and similar stirring stories, and in the spare bedroom are some classics and various children's books. I've plenty to keep me going, including all our poetry books, none of which have been included in the cull.

Some of the books have been turned out just because of their size and  I am hoping the library will be able to supply audio versions of some of them. They might also have more recent editions of the ones I can't manage read because the print is too small & close.

I do have a Kobo mini, but haven't really taken to it - I feel the same about this as I do about sat-navs, you can only see the small area you are actually on, and have no way of seeing where it fits in the wider landscape. (Elder Son & DiL gave us a TomTom for Christmas, but we haven't even taken it out of the box yet).

Am now going to add some more titles to the OP

I must admit I'm not much of a fan of e-books and their reader, but I do possess some e-books that I can read "across my devices" via Amazon's Kindle app. It does suck the living daylights out of my devices batteries though.

On my journey through my paper book collection I have found a fair few of them that not only do not have a bar code but also don't have an isbn. Makes life interesting when they have to be manually added and I must confess not all of them have been. These books belong to my childhood and look as if they would fall apart if I touched some of them.

Just one shelf still to be scanned/culled and then I'll need to hunt to see if I have any more that are positively hidden. Looking forward to creating shelf space and getting books on to shelves instead of the top of my chest of drawers/bookcase, for example.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

I don't have any 'real' books for which I've needed space but I have 1121 books in my archives on Kindle - they don't take up any shelf space.  I think when I get to 1400 I have to buy another device as the storage will be filled.  There are a couple of bookcases we have which have books which have been given to us at various times and there are some piled on the shelf under the coffee table, mostly reference books, some of sentimental value.  One of these is The Wind in the Willows in paperback form, never to be removed from our house!  So we do have proper books around just not any I've purchased in the last few years.  So no need to cull any at the moment.

Edited by momac

We had a massive cull of our books a couple of years ago and managed to remove one whole six shelved bookcase from my study. I don't think I could have kept a list of the books we disposed of just in case I wanted to acquire it again in some form as you have Meg.   At first we found it very difficult to let any book go , but as we progressed through our books it became much easier.  Once they had left the house (to the charity shop) we felt totally liberated.  So far as I know there is not one book that we culled that we have gone looking for because we needed it.  I think it;s almost time to go through our collection again to ensure that we are keeping only those books we really do want to have around us.  

We've decided this is an age thing and that we are trying to save our sons the task in the future.  To that end I don't buy as many books as I used to - only those that I will actually read and not just books that I think I might read sometime.  

Mr. Bb on the other hand is still acquiring new fantasy novels.  But worse still, he became interested in crime novels a while ago and seems to think he can park them on my shelves - probably because his study is so full of fantasy books there is no more room.  :banghead:

There is every likelihood that I will occasionally  feel the need to read, re-read or refer to, a culled book  - but that's what the library or search engines are for. Many of the books I've culled were printed in the 1970s, or earlier, and I wouldn't manage to read the tiny print nowadays, so I would need to resort to other sources anyway.

My current audiobook is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - a book I culled before the house move, it having been on my bookshelves for years, and never read. It just jumped out at me at the library as a familiar title among a lot of unknowns. Have yet to start it.

None of my many poetry books have been culled as i know i will need to refer to them in the coming years.

I am certain that I won't miss the books that I gave away during my cataloguing.  It's been good for me, I now know mostly, what I have and pretty much where it is.  I usually clear out from time to time and it doesn't appear that I've been doing that recently.  I'm on the home stretch now and feeling a little liberated.

I try to limit the number of books to hw many can fit on the actual shelves (I'm allowed to double stack on the TBR bookcase in my bedroom though).  I have a twice yearly clear out to a huge charity sale for abandoned animals, the downside being that I give away 40 and often come back with 20.  My main problem is that my daughters are also voracious readers and their books migrate to my shelves and they object strongly to me culling their books without specific permission so I end up culling far more than my fair share.

My local gaelige football club 2 years ago had a collection for old items including books. I took advantage of this to get rid of books I wanted to get rid of

When I catalogued my books, I did include those I could remember that I freed my space from. I think it was mostly nonfiction but a little bit of fiction, DBC Pierre, the Philip Roth books I didn't like, Paulo coelho among those that went to the junk coection

My local gaelige football club 2 years ago had a collection for old items including books. I took advantage of this to get rid of books I wanted to get rid of

When I catalogued my books, I did include those I could remember that I freed my space from. I think it was mostly nonfiction but a little bit of fiction, DBC Pierre, the Philip Roth books I didn't like, Paulo coelho among those that went to the junk coection

In this house Paulo Coelho's books  travelled so fast to the charity bag that they practically broke the land speed record.

In this house Paulo Coelho's books  travelled so fast to the charity bag that they practically broke the land speed record.

Tried one -- never again...

Decided to give The Alchemist a try, as it is quite short. Got  three dozen pages in and was quite enjoying it so far, but it seemed familiar. Had a search around, and found it on my Booklist for 2010. There is no thread for it, in fact all of the links on that year's list seem to lead to non-existing pages, so I guess that was the last time BGO crashed, before the current version came into being.

If I had really enjoyed it I would have continued to re-read it, and posted a thread, but as I only gave it two stars I will abandon it now but it wont go on the 'culled' list, as I won't miss it.