Sign in to follow this  
Clavain

welovebooks

Just browsing on BGO and checking profiles of people I've not seen post on this forum. Lots of people have welovebooks has a friend.

Joined  2 months ago made two short posts and he's everyone's friend?

Love the name but he can't have sent everyone an invite including people who haven't posted in years?

He didn't send me an invite and I've just noticed that I'm listed as his friend too.  There's another one with whom I'm now friends that I didn't agree to either. 

Is there a way of making sure that friendship requests are seen by the receiver i.e making sure that friends are accepted upon request, instead of a click of the button?

Very curious, I see I'm a friend, just don't remember being contacted by him (guessing it's a him). I don't suppose any harm has been done.

I just checked his profile and saw that I was a friend too so i defriended myself.  I'm stuffy about that sort of thing, though as Momac says it doesn't actually do any harm but I still think it's bad manners to friend someone withut their say-so.

It seems to be a quirk of the system that you can unilaterally add a friend. I think it wouldn't be fair to be too annoyed with new members who did this: they might assume that the request has to be accepted, like Facebook. I have been friended by a few BGOers and none of them approached me about the request, and I didn't expect them to. I have unfriended those unknown people who do it. (I do that on Twitter too, where every so often some unknown blogger follows me and my three tweets a year, presumably hoping I will follow them back.)

I don't really understand the purpose of doing it, as it doesn't seem to give you any benefits. But maybe those new people wouldn't know that. They inevitably have something to sell, and I am always suspicious, but I'm not a big user of social media, where the rules seem to be different.

Another forum I use uses this software too.

In profile settings, the eighth option down should be "allow me to approve friendship requests" so this in cases must be untucked, its unticked in mine.

There is another option in notification options ( eight option on left hand sidebar) and this is to receive notification when someone adds you as a friend. This is the eleventh option on that page.

Edited by iff

Just checked - found I ticked most of the boxes already.  Probably did that when I first joined - or we had the new site installed.  Anyway, I had forgotten all about it.  Thanks for the reminder though iff.

Another forum I use uses this software too.

In profile settings, the eighth option down should be "allow me to approve friendship requests" so this in cases must be untucked, its unticked in mine.

Thanks iff but don't you mean it should be ticked? If unticked/untucked that means you can't approve friend requests?

Thanks iff but don't you mean it should be ticked? If unticked/untucked that means you can't approve friend requests?

Yes, ticked is preferable as that means you can approve requests.

Untucked i am blaming on autocorrect on my phone (although my phone does correct capitalisation, my great weakness)

I checked this and mine is ticked. I can't remember doing this, and I can't remember ever being asked to approve requests. So, either I have a terrible memory (possible...), or it has no effect.

Does someone want to try to be my friend and I'll let you know if my permission is requested?

I've ticked 'add me as a friend' so you can see what happens.  :)

I've ticked 'add me as a friend' so you can see what happens. :)

Thanks momac! (Lovely to have you as a friend, by the way.)

It gave me a notification at the top with a red 1 in the same list where you see that someone has quoted you. But I didn't need to approve the request.

However, I have just noticed that there is an option in the main settings page under Friends which says "allow me to approve members before they're aďded as a friend". That's the one to tick if you don't want random strangers as a friend.

However, I don't think that friends have any more access to you / your stuff than non friends. I'm not sure, though.

There is a notification option of getting a notification anytime a friend does a status update.

This needs to be ticked I think.

The status update/profile feed can be seen by everyone but with this option, you are notified it so more aware of it

There is a notification option of getting a notification anytime a friend does a status update.

This needs to be ticked I think.

The status update/profile feed can be seen by everyone but with this option, you are notified it so more aware of it

What's a status update? I don't think I ever do that - do others?

I just did one there saying "test status update" :)

If you are on the full version, click your username on the top of the page and this opens drop down box, the first I think is "what's on your mind" and this is for posting status updates.

The status updates also appear on your main profile page with the latest one and on your profile under profile feed - the second option.

I think as we're not a big forum base, they aren't used a lot here and I looked at several profiles and only one other has them.

They don't appear on mobile version

Edit - I am wrong. They do appear on mobile version

http://www.bookgrouponline.com/statuses/all/

Edited by iff

Hi MM - Glad to be your friend too, can always use lots of friends.  :)