Sign in to follow this  
Flingo

Childrens/Teen Fantasy

It did - the Guardian Children's Fiction Award, and this week The Booktrust Teenage Prize.

It's not one that I think I would have predicted as a prize winner, let me know what you think of it though, Hazel.

It's not one that I think I would have predicted as a prize winner, let me know what you think of it though, Hazel.

Sure will, I may read it after the Stephen King.

If you like fantasy, for pre-teens/teens, I think the Twilight Saga would be good for you.

Go check them out at a local bookstore, there pretty good.

If you like fantasy, for pre-teens/teens, I think the Twilight Saga would be good for you.

Go check them out at a local bookstore, there pretty good.

Hi Tyler - check down in to the Children's and Young Adult Read On Forum and you will see that many of us have already devoured these! We've had quite a lot of discussion, so do come and share your opinions too.

Would Robin McKinley fit in here? I'm reading Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty ad the Beast at the moment. The first 50 pages have read very well.

I would have thought she would fit here. I read Spindle's End a few years ago now - her retelling of Sleeping Beauty. I remember that it caught the magic of the fairy tale, but she had her own contemporary take on it which also worked really well.

My son was not just happy but also stunned when one of his presents for Christmas was "Queste", number four of the "Septimus Heap Trilogy" by Angie Sage. He really enjoyed the first three and when I saw there was another one, I just had to get it.

The Pellinor Series by Alison Croggon is amazing. Very good for teenagers, although they attract girls more than boys. I do know a few guys who have read them though, and really enjoyed them.

I got this from Amazon:

Maerad is a slave in a desperate and unforgiving settlement, taken there as a child when her family is destroyed in war. She is unaware that she possesses a powerful gift, a gift that marks her as a member of the School of Pellinor. It is only when she is discovered by Cadvan, one of the great Bards of Lirigon, that her true heritage and extraordinary destiny unfolds. Now she and her teacher, Cadvan, must survive a punishing and uncertain journey through a time and place where the dark forces they battle with stem from the deepest recesses of other-worldly terror.

There are four books - The Gift (The Naming in America)

The Riddle

The Crow

The Singing.