sjbaldwin

New for 2016

All for Nothing by Walter Kempowski looks good. Another of my reading quirks is an interest in reading novels of other cultures written, preferably, by people from the culture. I went ahead and bought the book. It looks like a good read. I am older than most of the trees in the city where I live and have a real fear of running out of books to read before I die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Kempowski

Thanks very much for this suggestion and welcome to the board. I've had a quick look at this book and it seems to be about the Nazis and what they did during the war. Perhaps someone else will fancy this but I'm afraid I've read enough of this topic to last me so I won't be joining in.

What was your first clue Luna? :) I don't think I'd be reading Nietzsche unless it was the only reading material available.:)

Oh I just got a feeling in my bones, Momac :-) I didn't think that Nietzsche would be popular but thought I'd put it in anyway. What's your preference?

I'm with Luna. 'All for Nothing' is probably a great and important book, but I have no interest in reading it.

What about 'Back to Blood' by Tom Wolfe? I am a big fan of his work, and watching him turn his spotlight on the craziness of Miami, after seeing it illuminate Wall Street in Bonfire, the good'ol'boys league of Atlanta real estate in Man in Full, and college life in Charltte Simmons, promises to be great fun.

And I meant I 'would' read Wuthering Heights, not I 'had' read it. Contractions and heteronyms may have confused the issue

Well, I'll be going for all three I guess rather than have to pick one, I'll get Montana and Wuthering Heights and Back to Blood then have a go at all of them.  Maybe Patrickt might read All for Nothing also if Clavain and iff come on board we'll have enough to discuss with all the foregoing.  

I already have Wuthering Heights

From what I can gather Montana 1948 contains at least allegations of child sexual abuse and the family of the story have to choose between family loyalty and pure justice - I'm not surprised that it led to fractious group discussions -  so I think I'll leave that too.  

How about:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Catch-22

All Quiet On The Western Front

The Godfather! (haven't read that in a looooong time)

I can get All Quiet on the Western Front from the library together with Wuthering Heights, the other two are American ones and will have to get them from Amazon.  Don't really like Italian Mafia stuff so won't go for the Godfather.

o.k folks, I have All for Nothing, Montana, Back to Blood also have All Quiet.........and Wuthering Heights on order at the library.  So would it be possible to settle on one of these.

Catch 22, Back to Blood, All quiet..., Wuthering Heights. Any of them would be fine with me. Recently read Cuckoo's Nest, and would be happy to join a discussion on that.

I already have Wuthering Heights

From what I can gather Montana 1948 contains at least allegations of child sexual abuse and the family of the story have to choose between family loyalty and pure justice - I'm not surprised that it led to fractious group discussions -  so I think I'll leave that too.  

How about:

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Catch-22

All Quiet On The Western Front

The Godfather! (haven't read that in a looooong time)

I'm guessing you read another book entitled Montana-1948. There was a rape but no child sexual abuse and the conflict in the discussion was over what the story was about and I don't think it had anything to do with loyalty to family over pure justice. Since you've already made your decision I won't bother telling you what I think the story is about. 

As for "All for Nothing" it doesn't seem to be about Nazis, either.

"Brilliantly evocative and atmospheric of the period, sympathetic yet painfully honest about the motivations of its characters, All for Nothing is a devastating portrait of the self-delusions, complicities and denials of the German people as the Third Reich comes to an end. Like deer caught in headlights, they stare into a gaping maw they sense will soon close over them."

Reading a story about the self-delusions, complicities, and denials of a people following a charismatic demagogue might be quite appropriate this year.

And the story seems to be, in some regards, autobiographical. The author was placed in a penal unit for failing to meet the Hitler Youth requirements.

Edited by patrickt

Reading a story about the self-delusions, complicities, and denials of a people following a charismatic demagogue might be quite appropriate this year.

:naughty:

I am older than most of the trees in the city where I live and have a real fear of running out of books to read before I die.

What an odd fear :confused:

Even after a major downsizing cull of our books last autumn there are probably more books on our shelves than I am likely to get through before I die** - plus millions more out in the shops & libraries and more being published each year.

And that's not counting self-published e-books! 

** which is why I  am unlikely to join in a group read, unless it is something I am already reading, or have read recently & not yet posted about.

I'm guessing you read another book entitled Montana-1948. There was a rape but no child sexual abuse and the conflict in the discussion was over what the story was about and I don't think it had anything to do with loyalty to family over pure justice. Since you've already made your decision I won't bother telling you what I think the story is about.

As for "All for Nothing" it doesn't seem to be about Nazis, either.

"Brilliantly evocative and atmospheric of the period, sympathetic yet painfully honest about the motivations of its characters, All for Nothing is a devastating portrait of the self-delusions, complicities and denials of the German people as the Third Reich comes to an end. Like deer caught in headlights, they stare into a gaping maw they sense will soon close over them."

And the story seems to be, in some regards, autobiographical. The author was placed in a penal unit for failing to meet the Hitler Youth requirements.

I have not read a book called Montana 1948 and so had to rely on what information I could glean from Amazon UK. As I did with All For Nothing, which I have not read.

I have never been above being informed of my mistake or having my information corrected.

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Welcome patrickt.  Hope you have managed to have a good look round BGO.  

I have never read any Nietzsche and would love to do that sometime too Luna.  

I have actually read Wuthering Heights twice - many years ago - and never understood why people rave about it so much as a great story.  Maybe with a group read I will get something more out of it.  So, since most people seem interested in Wuthering Heights, Shall we just go ahead with that?

-

Fine by me, I'll just have to wait until the library phones and I'm sure it will be in the next few days, don't imagine there will be any problem with having to wait long as it has been around for a long time.  So maybe Wuthering Heights for the group read?  I'm also looking forward to the other books I have purchased as they all look interesting.  I'll start on one of them until I get W. H.

I thought for sure I had Wuthering Heights, but possibly it was one of the few which sold in my last space creating book purge. But no matter, I've placed a hold at the library and it will be here in a couple days. Need to finish Setting Free the Bears and Existentialist Cafe first anyway. Looking forward to discussing Wuthering Heights with you folks!

Alrighty, Wuthering Heights it is.

As I'm sure that we are all aware it doesn't matter who starts first etc, just join in when you can.

Mine is covered in coffe stains and I'm too tight to buy one that isn't.

ETA I don't know how to create a thread in the Group Reading Forum, do the Mods do that?

Edited by lunababymoonchild

Great.  Off we go then.  I've just dug out my copy which has not been opened for over 25 years!!

Yes, Luna, I think one of the Mods usually creates a thread.  Perhaps one of them can do that for us, pretty please.  :love:

Great.  Off we go then.  I've just dug out my copy which has not been opened for over 25 years!!

Yes, Luna, I think one of the Mods usually creates a thread.  Perhaps one of them can do that for us, pretty please.  :love:

Have sent a message to ask.

Have just discovered that I can get Wuthering Heights on Kindle for less than $1 so no need to wait for library copy. :)

ETA I don't know how to create a thread in the Group Reading Forum, do the Mods do that?

can you hang fire on the actual discussion for a day or two?

When Tagesmann was running the Group Reads he was the only one able to set up a sub-forum for the books being read, I'm not sure who can do that now.

It may be better to have the group readers thoughts in the "normal" book thread, rather than members having to look for a book discussion in two different places. I am waiting for other mods to come back to me on it - but what do the rest of you think?

Fine by me, actually the book has such a long, in depth analysis plus introduction etc., that I am almost put off reading it, however, will persevere once all is set up. :)

Wuthering Heights seen the film never read the book. Free on Amazon / Gutenberg. Listening to Kate Bush :)

can you hang fire on the actual discussion for a day or two?

When Tagesmann was running the Group Reads he was the only one able to set up a sub-forum for the books being read, I'm not sure who can do that now.

It may be better to have the group readers thoughts in the "normal" book thread, rather than members having to look for a book discussion in two different places. I am waiting for other mods to come back to me on it - but what do the rest of you think?

Oh, I didn't know that Meg.  It's fine by me, we can just tag it on to the existing thread.  I'm not ready to post yet anyway having only read the first few pages.    

There doesn't appear to be an introduction/analysis in my copy but WH is on page 186 and I went straight there so maybe there is one and I juat haven't seen it.  I'll look tomorrow.

I'm happy to read. Maybe an August group read?

Edited by Clavain