Sign in to follow this  
woofwoof

Yet another Best British novels list and this time it's Middlemarch!

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/dec/08/best-british-novel-of-all-time-international-critics-top-100-middlemarch

I'm not sure I would have put Middlemarch first though it is a great novel undoubtedly. I certainly wouldn't have put the two Virginia Woolfs at numbers 2 and 3. Overall it seems like a good list (though Atonement at No 15? and Sense of an ending really doesn't deserve to appear). Nice to see Remains of the Day, End of the Affair, Heart of the Matter, Possession, The Blue Flower

Mmm, I wonder if this is yet another of those lists designed to impress where the contributors like to demonstrate how intellectual they are, such as the summer reading list, 'My essential beach read is  Proust of course, and if i want something reallylight I dip into The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire...'

Anyway these lists are always fun, I might take it along to my next book group where there are two of the most widely read and intelligent people I have ever met and ask what they think.  I expect there will be loud sounds of raspberries being blown.

Very interesting. This is the best of list voted by 81 foreign critics picking their best British/UK novels.

This is what the rest of the world thinks of us.

Not my order but agree woof a great list.

I've read 29.

Edited by Clavain

Of course this is a good list because the No. 1 is my No.1 :arms:

As Clavain has written, we could all quibble with the order of the rest of them and some inclusions.  I thought the Sarah Waters on the list was by no means the best of her novels.

(I've read 52 of them and given up on some others)

Chuntzy, I need someone who loves MM to sell it to me, I really didn't like it all and don't understand why it made number 1!