Dan

How do YOU listen to music nowadays?

How do you listen to music? Or, more accurately; What platform do you usually listen to music on? I used to be an Lp/cassette guy but I kept scratching, breaking and otherwise destroying my copies in that medium. Then I was stuck with radio for a long time, but the absolutely uninspired quality of their playlists and the prevalence of commercials pushed me into public radio and mostly instrumental jazz and classical. Never really did the CD thing because I didn't own a player, and I didn't want to invest a bunch of money in discs which I would eventually ruin. Then I was handed down an iPhone and discovered iTunes. Music I can listen to in perpetuity, or at least as long as I remember to back it up or Apple exists. Anymore, pretty much the only music I listen to is on my phone. So, how about the rest of you folks?

I listen via Youtube on my PC or my iPod, using the Amazon app.

So do you have to pick each song or can you listen to several in a row?

I have slowly evolved over the years, and moved with the times, when I was younger I was a purist and was reluctant to consider anything other than vinyl, but the attraction of having music on the move with the invention of the Walkman drew me to cassettes but I always considered them inferior to vinyl, but then both cassettes and vinyl slowly disappeared and CD's took over, the sound was undeniably a better quality and I was soon won over.  But time marches on and the digital revolution changed everything, I took the bull by the horns and ripped my entire CD collection which are now stored on several 64 gig memory cards and a couple of hard drives (I am a back up of a back up of a backup type of person after my computer decided to shit itself once and I lost a lot of stuff which was stored on it and took down the external hard drive which was plugged into it at the time).  A mate of mine had one of these USB turntables where you can convert your vinyl to mp3 and so I borrowed it and I sorted those too, it was a tedious job which more than once I wished I'd never started but once it was done my entire music collection took up the space of a couple of books (The two external hard drives) rather than an entire wall! The memory cards live in a little matchbox on my desk - one of the memory cards lives in my phone, another is pushed into a USB card reader and lives in the USB port of my TV so I can play it through there.

When it comes to getting new stuff I tend to use download sites, I like Iomoio best, its legal and good value, and I have never had any issues with viruses.

Edited by Apple

I use YouTube and listen on my IPad with really good earphones.  We also have a Bose stereo system which is great but it means going over to it, picking out a disc I want to hear, fiddling with the small gizmo which is in danger of being lost if we don't put in back in the same place each time we use it.  The IPad listening is fine for me, same for hubby who has a tablet and ear bud and he can listen to what he wants on YouTube too.

I have one shelf of Vinyl LP's, some with really great music on them but no turntable or receiver so there they sit.  :(

So do you have to pick each song or can you listen to several in a row?

I can listen to as many as I like in a row. Usually when I'm hanging the laundry. I also sing along, which my family are slowly getting used to since they can't hear what I'm hearing.

I also have the Amazon music on my iPad and have been known to use that, too.

Mostly via my iPods. I also use Spotify, iTunes and TuneIn Radio on my laptop. I don't have a stero in the house. My turntable is in the loft with the vinyl, cassettes and CDs. All ripped to flac and converted to mp4 as needed. In the car I just use the radio.

So Amazon is like Pandora or Apple music? Kind of Internet radio? Is that what Spotify is also? I tried Pandora when I got my first iPhone and it was ok, but not great. Biggest problem I had with it was that 95% of my music listening is when I'm driving while working, and there are a lot of places I go which don't have 4g or LTE or other wireless internet networks. I need something not dependent on a signal.

So Amazon is like Pandora or Apple music? Kind of Internet radio? Is that what Spotify is also? I tried Pandora when I got my first iPhone and it was ok, but not great. Biggest problem I had with it was that 95% of my music listening is when I'm driving while working, and there are a lot of places I go which don't have 4g or LTE or other wireless internet networks. I need something not dependent on a signal.

No Dan Spotify, Apple Music and many others are streaming sites. Frightens me because an increasing number of people are not buying music and suffer adverts or subscribe and pay a monthly fee. Both these sites you can listen to virtually any song/album. Like Netflix Amazon..... pay per month is going to overtake dvd,and cd sales soon.The book is hanging on.

Me mainly iPod on shuffle, radio or YouTube.

Mostly through CDs on my stereo, that is my main source

Though on Saturday mornings, I listen to 6 music's new music playlist and then a shuffle on my mp 3 which are a mixture of free, a couple of bought mp3s and some cds I uploaded.

On a Thursday evening, I spend an hour to listen to the British council's selector show for new British music

Other radio is dependent on schedules. I do like to listen to a bit of Lauren Laverne, tom Robinson and Radcliffe & maconie if I am off and free to do so.

I do listen to a bit of Shaun keaveney before I go to work, although I prefer his show when he is on holidays. :)

My only mp3 player is on my phone, I have about 30 songs on this and I play these between turning off my phone alarm and procrastinating to get out of bed

Edited by iff

I have a lot of CDs and I'm massively into music so I have a few ways to listen to my favourite tunes and so forth.

I have a little portable Bluetooth speaker, which is surprisingly good and high quality (considering I bought it for £6), but it needs charging often so it's not very reliable.

I usually play my CDs on my laptop using Windows Media Player, because my CD player broke, but I've recently started using iTunes instead, I wish I had a stereo set with lots of speakers however it's just way too expensive for me at the minute! When I'm out and about I use my phone and headphones for music, I don't know what I would do if I didn't have them!! I'm always listening to music, especially while I study at the library.