Dan

Favorite bands of all time

Was very surprised that I didn't see this topic. So how about your ten favorite bands of all time, regardless of genre. Criteria is your own. My list would be, and not in any particular order because on any given day any one of these could be #1;

Pink Floyd

The Who

Led Zeppelin

The Greatful Dead

Billy Joel

Midnight Oil

Steely Dan

Aerosmith

Cake

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Jethro Tull

Oh, that's 11. Can't take any of these off. Sorry????How about your 11favorite band/artists of all time.

Wow, this harder than I thought. So I couldn't count in my head when I first thought about this. And then I left

Dire Straits

off the list.

Edited by Dan

I'll certainly go for the Chili Peppers, loved their sound.  I was made aware of them through my son's interest. Have so many of their albums.

But you can't possible leave out The Beatles.  Not only one of my favourites, but surely they changed the world of music forever.

Some of my other favourites of all time would be

Jamiroquai

Crowded House

Maroon 5

And I cannot leave out Cliff Richard who was part of my teen years and for many years after that.

If it was greatest bands then the Beatles would surely make the list. And I like them well enough. But I'd still rather listen to a random album by any of my favorites than a random album by the Beatles, unless it was Abbey Road versus anything by Aerosmith after 1988.

Belle and Sebastian

The fiery furnaces

Michael franti and spearhead

British sea power

Sigur ros

Tilly and the wall

John grant

Sufjan Stevens

Hamell on trial - moreso as a live performer

Allo darlin'

Roots manuva

As a sort of collective, I include gonzales , feist, peaches, mocky and older Jamie lidell. They are all interconnected

Edited by iff

Depeche Mode

Boris

Porcupine Tree

Ultravox

Neil Young

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds

AC/DC

Crowded House

ABBA

Erasure

That's my choice for today...

Looking at the above offerings I am assuming that it can either be bands or solo artists who don't necessarily have a "regular" band behind them so:

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band

Genesis

Rush

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Jackson Browne

Barclay James Harvest

Journey

John Mellencamp

Counting Crows

Hard to shave it down to that ten, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles/Don Henley, Billy Joel lurking just under the surface.

I would listen to just about anything by any of them.   

Been talking about this tonight amongst friends where we had to pick our top 3.I think musical taste develops and changes but you always look to the past and your first loves.

Led Zeppelin

Neil Young

Hawkwind

Rush

The Clash

Bruce Springsteen

The Smiths

Joy Division

Elvis Costello

The Stone Roses

REM

Public Enemy

So many artists I love and could have included but is there a limit?

Edited by Clavain

The Eels

Tom Waits

Pink Floyd

Genesis

The Eagles

David Bowie

Frank Sinatra

Simon and Garfunkel (including solo Simon)

Bob Seger

The Beatles

I can't do it!

I know, it's hard! I couldn't leave it at 10! Who cares? I think these things are fun just because I love hearing what other people love.

Tay- thanks for the Tom Waits! I love that guy! Some of his stuff is difficult so I'm not always in the mood, But not very often!

Clavain- I didn't mention any classical composers because I'd have a reeeaaalllllyyy hard time winnowing that list. But I share your love for Mozart! And Bach, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mahler....

RG- Rush barely missed the cut for me! What kind of music does Barclay James Harvest play?

Tagesman- gotta be the only music list in history with AC/DC and ABBA! Ditto that for Tay with Pink Floyd and Ol' Blue Eyes!

iff-I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I didn't recognize a single name on your list. Thank you for broadening my horizons!

Ting- Love the Moody Blues! What is runrig like? What kind of jazz do Franco and Orchestra play?

Barblue- are Jamiroquai and crowded house new wave bands? Names sound familiar but I can't place them at all.

And I'm with everyone who said Bob Seger!

Edited by Dan

Let's see. I'm sure I'll think of others later.

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Yes

The Who

Emerson, Lake and Palmer

Moody Blues

Depeche Mode

Gin Blossoms

Creedence Clearwater Revival

Joni Mitchell

In no particular order:

Free

Bad Company

AC/DC

Dio

Rainbow

Dio era Black Sabbath

Muddy Waters

Frankie Millar

The Black Crowes

The Quireboys

Sensing an theme, here?  I also like Bach, Beehoven, Mozart and like everyone else here, I'm assuming, depending on my mood I also thoroughly enjoy Nina Simone, Tina Turner, David Bowie, Danny Kaye etc.

Depeche Mode

Boris

Tom Petty

Bruce Springsteen

David Bowie

Kristin Hersh / Throwing Muses

Maria McKee / Lone Justice

Japan

Split Enz

Frank Zappa

That's today...

The main thing I'm going to learn from this thread is likely to be the approximate age of its contributors...

I'm going to cheat and have 20, 10 all time, and 10 right now...

REM

Pixies

The National

The Smiths

Interpol

Cocteau Twins

Sigur Ros

Fleet Foxes

New Order 

Underworld

Right now...

Kiasmos

Protomartyr

Viet Cong

Ought

Algiers

Tycho

GEMS

Tourist

Nadine Shah

Lusts

Dan: I think Crowded House and Jamiroquai came after the new wave bands - well as I understand it anyway.  Their popularity was around the 1990s.  At least that is when I went to see them.

Crowded House were (I don't think they perform now) an Australian group of guys.

Jamiroquai was formed by a guy called Jay Kay, a Brit whose mother was a band singer before him.  He was renowned for his hats as well as his music.  Very elaborate hats he wore.  But his music and his voice were somewhat different too.

Have to admit there are some bands mentioned here that I have never heard of.  I don't think I keep up with the new bands as much as I used to and that's probably to my loss.

I'm also going to add to my list

Amy Winehouse

Richard Thompson

I only remember Crowded House in the '80s with Don't Dream It's Over. My boyfriend at the time loved them and we broke up in '89. I don't remember hearing their later music although I know they were still around. I seem to recall some of the members came from Split Enz?

Ooh nice topic! If there is one thing I love it is music...perhaps even more so than books as even if I am having a reading block sort of time I am never without my music in one form or another.  I have to say it is pretty tough to pick as I've got quite an eclectic taste in music - much like my taste in literature.  Plus I don't generally tend to go for bands as such, its more the songs which catch my attention and then if I find a number of songs by the same artist then I will investigate further into that particular artist.

The Beatles have to make the list as they are simply iconic but although I do really like the majority of their stuff, I don't have too many of their songs which I would consider favourites they are more the sort of thing I will have on in the background.

Others which I would consider favourites in no particular order:

Black Sabbath (from the start up to 1979 - the years Ozzy was lead vocals, sorry Luna but Ronnie James 'Ego' never did it for me!), they have to make the list as it was the song Paranoid which first got me into Rock/Heavy Metal. Plus I have a real soft spot for Ozzy Osbourne and I have all of his solo albums so he definitely makes the list.

Motorhead (From Ace of Spades album onwards, particular favourite albums - Ace of Spades (1980), Bastards (1993), March or die (1992 - I think) and 1916 (1991), despite their reputation Lemmy is a poet and lyrical genius and has written some outstandingly beautiful and meaningful songs.

Other favourite bands to make the list are Five Finger Death Punch, Iron Maiden, Stone Sour, The Almighty, Thunder and Aerosmith, . Solo Singers - Bob Dylan I have a number of his songs in my collection although no full albums and Alice Cooper pre 'Trash' album, after that he went off the rails my favourite Alice Cooper album is Welcome to my Nightmare,

Favourite songs now this is where it gets seriously eclectic! in more or less alphabetical order, and this is only what I can think of off the top of my head as there are many many more which I consider favourites.

1916 - (Motorhead)

45 - (Shinedown)

A Pittance of Time - (Terry Kelly)

Ace of Spades (Motorhead)

American Pie (Don McClean)

Annie's Song (John Denver)

Ave Maria (HAS to be sung by Aaron Neville)

Back Street Symphony (Thunder)

Bad Things (Jace Everett)

Bang a Drum (Jon Bon Jovi)

Bang Bang (Nancy Sinatra)

Beat the Devils Tattoo (Black Rebels Motorcycle Club)

Big Yellow Taxi (Joni Mitchell)

Black Sabbath (Black Sabbath)

The Bleeding (Five Finger Death Punch)

Blind Man (Black Stone Cherry)

Blood Fire and Love (The Almighty)

Blowing in the Wind (Bob Dylan)

Bother (Stone Sour)

Buried Alive (Avenged Sevenfold)

Bridge over Troubled Water (Simon and Garfunkel)

California Dreaming (Mamas and Papas)

Cold (Five Finger Death Punch)

Coming Down (Five Finger Death Punch)

Crazy Train (Ozzy)

Crystal Eyes (LA Guns)

Cryin' (Aerosmith)

Container (Fiona Apple)

Dead and Gone (Motorhead)

Death before Dishonour (Five Finger Death Punch)

Devils Own (Five Finger Death Punch)

David (Noah Gundersen)

The Devil in I (Slipknot)

Fade to Black (Metallica)

Flight of Icarus (Iron Maiden)

First time ever I saw your face (Roberta Flack)

Games People Play (Joe South)

God was never on your side (Motorhead)

Hallowed be thy name (Iron Maiden)

Here to Stay (Korn)

Home (Philip Phillips)

House of the Rising Sun (The Animals -  but I also love the versions sung by Sinead O Connor and Five Finger Death Punch)

Hurt (Nine Inch Nails)

I aint no nice guy (Lemmy & Ozzy)

I am the walrus (The Beatles)

I don't believe a word (Motorhead)

Imagine (John Lennon)

Janie's got a gun (Aerosmith)

Jekyll & Hyde (Five Finger Death Punch)

Journeyman (Iron Maiden)

Livin on a prayer (Bon Jovi)

Livin on the Edge (Aerosmith)

Lake of Fire (Meat Puppets - original version and also Nirvana's version)

Life in the Pain (Safety Suit)

Low life in High places (Thunder)

Lost in the Ozone (Motorhead)

Mr Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan)

Music of the Night (Michael Crawford - from the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical Phantom of the Opera)

My Own Hell (Five Finger Death Punch)

Nightmare (Avenged Sevenfold)

NIB (Black Sabbath)

One more f***ing time (Motorhead)

Only the good die young (Iron Maiden)

Oats in the Water (Ben Howard)

Patience (Guns n Roses)

Paranoid (Black Sabbath)

Paint it Black (Rolling Stones)

Paschendaele (Iron Maiden)

Run to the Hills (Iron Maiden)

Sabbath bloody Sabbath (Black Sabbath)

Say you'll haunt me (Stone Sour)

Sad but True (Metallica)

Scream for Vengeance (Judas Priest)

Signs (Tesla)

Steven (Alice Cooper)

Sweet Child o Mine (Guns n Roses)

Sound of Silence (Simon and Garfunkel)

The times they are a changing (Bob Dylan)

Torn to Pieces (Pop Evil)

Uprising (Muse)

Welcome to my Nightmare (Alice Cooper)

Working Class Hero (John Lennon)

War Pigs (Black Sabbath)

Wicked Game (fav versions are the ones sung by Gemma Hayes and also by Stone Sour)

Wrong side of Heaven (Five Finger Death Punch)

XIX (Slipknot)

Edited by Apple

The main thing I'm going to learn from this thread is likely to be the approximate age of its contributors...

Not necessarily, as a lot of the stuff I like was released waaay before I was born and also I like a lot of modern stuff too. In fact glancing at my list it goes from the late 1950's/early 60's up to a few weeks or so ago!

Actually Grammath I challenge you to guess my age after that comment, don't worry I won't be offended if you are way off in the wrong direction!

Edited by Apple

RG- Rush barely missed the cut for me! What kind of music does Barclay James Harvest play?

And I'm with everyone who said Bob Seger!

First off Dan, how can you NOT have Sir Bob in ANY list!! Sheer class.

Barclay James Harvest; not, as many people have been mistaken, a person but a group from the Manchester area of the UK, started out around the early 1970s playing a sort of prog-type rock, but then angled towards an English soft-rock style (i.e. not like Journey, Speedwagon, Boston et al) towards the 80s. Started out as a four-piece but spent most of their time as a three-piece. Saw them live in '81 and twice in '84 but they were always more popular in Continental Europe than they were at home in the UK. Played an historic gig to over 175,000 people on the steps of the Reichstag in Berlin eight years before the Wall came down, it was thought that thousands were listening on the East side of the Wall too.

Try a few 'samples' on Amazon or iTunes if possible to get a flavour.

Rush - superb band, love their 80s stuff best, from Moving Pictures through to Hold Your Fire especially. Been lucky enough to see them five times, and saw Bob Seger the very last time he ever came over to Europe in 1980. Boy that suddenly makes me feel old!!

Ting- Love the Moody Blues! What is runrig like? What kind of jazz do Franco and Orchestra play?

Runrig - Scottish group formed in Skye, 1973 to date; celtic folk-rock; many songs in Scottish gaelic. Very popular song: "Dance called America"; prominent albums "Heartland" and live concert recording "Once in a Lifetime".

Franco was a very popular Congolese rumba singer of 1960-70s. L'orchestre OK Jazz was one of many similarly-named backing groups - lots of brass! Had a great following in neighbouring countries and in France, too.

And if we're adding vocalists too:

Simon & Garfunkel - of course

Beegees

Donovan

Dylan

In no particular order:

Free

Bad Company

AC/DC

Dio

Rainbow

Dio era Black Sabbath

Muddy Waters

Frankie Millar

The Black Crowes

The Quireboys

Sensing an theme, here? I also like Bach, Beehoven, Mozart and like everyone else here, I'm assuming, depending on my mood I also thoroughly enjoy Nina Simone, Tina Turner, David Bowie, Danny Kaye etc.

Thanks for the Muddy Waters, Luna! Love most of those guys from the heyday of Chess Records, especially Muddy, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Willie Dixon, John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley...

But I have to admit that I don't really care for music which is primarily vocals. When the band starts playing soft I lose interest. For the same reason I'm not a fan of opera in general. I want my vocalists to work for their place in the song!

Some absences which surprised me- most of the music aficionados from my generation seem to place The Rolling Stones in their pantheon, and they have some songs that I really like, but all the Stones I bothered to re-purchase( having owned several of their albums previously) comes from their greatest hits album, and even then there are songs which don't do a lot for me. Same comments apply to the Doors, although I have a wider selection of their music, and with the caveat that I loathe Light my Fire and Touch Me.

Really shocked no one else had Dire Straits and Jethro Tull on their list! They would be 1&2 on my list if you put a gun to my head, followed by Midnight Oil, Pink Floyd and the Who.

And moderately surprised that Warren Zevon and Primus didn't make anyone's list, although I was thrilled to see that Zappa made Tag's 2nd one.

Thanks for the Muddy Waters, Luna! Love most of those guys from the heyday of Chess Records, especially Muddy, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Willie Dixon, John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley...

But I have to admit that I don't really care for music which is primarily vocals. When the band starts playing soft I lose interest. For the same reason I'm not a fan of opera in general. I want my vocalists to work for their place in the song!

Some absences which surprised me- most of the music aficionados from my generation seem to place The Rolling Stones in their pantheon, and they have some songs that I really like, but all the Stones I bothered to re-purchase( having owned several of their albums previously) comes from their greatest hits album, and even then there are songs which don't do a lot for me. Same comments apply to the Doors, although I have a wider selection of their music, and with the caveat that I loathe Light my Fire and Touch Me.

Really shocked no one else had Dire Straits and Jethro Tull on their list! They would be 1&2 on my list if you put a gun to my head, followed by Midnight Oil, Pink Floyd and the Who.

And moderately surprised that Warren Zevon and Primus didn't make anyone's list, although I was thrilled to see that Zappa made Tag's 2nd one.

It's such a wide pool to choose from and as everybody has mentioned on a different day it would be a different list.

It's such a wide pool to choose from and as everybody has mentioned on a different day it would be a different list.

I'm actually pretty amazed that, with such a wide pool, so many of us have the same bands on their lists. That's so cool! I would have put Jethro Tull on a slightly longer list, Dan. Have seen them in concert twice, and I do love them (especially Thick as a Brick). I also do still listen to Dire Straits. Brothers in Arms gets me every time. My list would have been quite different if I had listed songs rather than bands. I always turn the sound way up when Beds Are Burning comes on. And Bob Seger would also be on a slightly longer list, RG.

Edited by Kerry