• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-Files was good, pretty much the same standard as first time round. That said, I realised 10 minutes into it that I had grown out of it (in fact, I jacked the series in around 1998-ish, after the first film), so in light of my current viewing schedule this is designated non essential ;) Was good to see Joel McHale though, loved him in Community.

X-Files was good, pretty much the same standard as first time round. That said, I realised 10 minutes into it that I had grown out of it (in fact, I jacked the series in around 1998-ish, after the first film), so in light of my current viewing schedule this is designated non essential ;) Was good to see Joel McHale though, loved him in Community.

So far I've seen four episodes and, as I previously mentioned, only the third was a keeper. Saw the fourth episode last night and it was particularly ho-hum.

• 9 months later...

Bloodline is really very good - great family drama. The first season of AHS is the best, it's a sliding scale of disappointment thereafter. Though I quite liked the second. Jessica Jones - bloody awesome. Parks and Rec - bloody awesome.

I still watch AHS. I stopped after Freakshow and I really didn't want to watch Hotel because Lady Gaga was in it and I thought it would be gimmacky. However I recently found myself at a loose end and decided to watch it. It was superb, I really loved it. Then Roanoke came out. I have loooong stopped being frightened by AHS and just luxuriate in the goriness. But last night me and eldest watched the first 2 episodes of Roanoke and i was scared sh*tless. Anyone else watching these still?

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the whole series of Foyle's War from Amazon, all 29 disks, we loved this series and are going to be enjoying it again for quite a while, have watched the first two already.  It was listed at $146.00 and I posted on Facebook that I would like to have it but thought it too expensive and the next day Amazon brought the price down by $40.00 and also filled my timeline with all sorts of ads for products they sell which, fortunately, wasn't anything that interested me.  :)

We enjoyed Foyle's War, too, but the lead actor looks and most especially TALKS just like my daughter's pediatrician (minus the accent).  Even she noticed as a little girl.  It quit being distracting after a while.

Did anyone watch Deutschland 83 on Channel 4? I really enjoyed it.

I finally got around to watching this on 4OD, i thought it was an excellent.

my main tv highlights currently are Humans and Mr. Robot (Season 1)

Yesterday I watched the entire season of Goliath on Amazon Prime. Billy Bob Thornton is a drunken lawyer who catches a case that offers him redemption. Sounds same old, same old but the writing and his acting really made it something special. I loved it.

We are in the process of watching "Goliath" on the strong recommendation of a friend of mine.  Billy Bob Thornton's acting is always excellent.  I can't remember if you've seen the first season of "Fargo," but if you haven't, you should watch it.  Both seasons are excellent, I think.

In watching Foyle's War we have now watched 4 segments and for some reason the discs are not numbered and the story to begin with was out of sequence with disc number 2, it didn't cause too much of a problem but at one time Foyle's sergeant to be is in hospital with part of his leg missing and on the next disc he's already working for Foyle.  We enjoy the series so much I don't expect the odd mistake will bother us.

We are in the process of watching "Goliath" on the strong recommendation of a friend of mine.  Billy Bob Thornton's acting is always excellent.  I can't remember if you've seen the first season of "Fargo," but if you haven't, you should watch it.  Both seasons are excellent, I think.

I watched the first season of Fargo with BBT in it but didn't follow through with the following series. I did like it though but without BBT, I didn't think it would be as good. Goliath was excellent, I am going to make hubby watch it. That and Bosch.

The second season of Fargo was just as good, although it is true that it didn't have BBT or Martin Freeman.  But there was some outstanding acting from people who were so against type that it was almost shocking (Kristen Dunst, Jean Smart, and Jesse Plemons).  But the stand out was this guy:    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeem_Woodbine.  I had never seen him in anything before and he was just amazing in the season.  In fact, I think it's possible that I liked Season 2 even better.

I finally got around to watching the first series (only one so far shown in Britain) of Sebastian Bergman.  I say series, but it is really only two linked movie-length episodes.  They are titled Den fördömde, (The cursed one).  They are nicely presented police procedurals with a well flawed lead.

From Wikipedia...

Bergman is an experienced psychologist who, at the start of the series, has effectively retired from police work. With a reputation as a womaniser, he has for some years been recovering from the loss of his wife and child in the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.[2] A chance encounter with a former police colleague, Torkel Höglund (Tomas Laustiola), results in his being taken on as a consultant to assist in a murder case. Bergman at first gets on badly with the young female detective Vanya (Moa Silén) with whom he has to work, and is subsequently shocked to discover that she is his illegitimate daughter from a relationship he has almost forgotten. Seeing this as an opportunity to make up for the death of his daughter (for which he blames himself), he slowly begins to rebuild his career.

That might tempt you but it doesn't really do it justice.  

This is an excellent piece of drama, that really gets the viewer in all the right places.  And it's all about Bergman - his loss, his being lost and something like healing in the end.

I'm now going to have to read the books by Michael Hjorth and Hans Rosenfeldt.

I finally got around to watching the first series (only one so far shown in Britain) of Sebastian Bergman.  I say series, but it is really only two linked movie-length episodes.  They are titled Den fördömde, (The cursed one).  They are nicely presented police procedurals with a well flawed lead.

From Wikipedia...

Bergman is an experienced psychologist who, at the start of the series, has effectively retired from police work. With a reputation as a womaniser, he has for some years been recovering from the loss of his wife and child in the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami.[2] A chance encounter with a former police colleague, Torkel Höglund (Tomas Laustiola), results in his being taken on as a consultant to assist in a murder case. Bergman at first gets on badly with the young female detective Vanya (Moa Silén) with whom he has to work, and is subsequently shocked to discover that she is his illegitimate daughter from a relationship he has almost forgotten. Seeing this as an opportunity to make up for the death of his daughter (for which he blames himself), he slowly begins to rebuild his career.

That might tempt you but it doesn't really do it justice.  

This is an excellent piece of drama, that really gets the viewer in all the right places.  And it's all about Bergman - his loss, his being lost and something like healing in the end.

I'm now going to have to read the books by Michael Hjorth and Hans Rosenfeldt.

Sounds interesting Tag, which channel was it on?

Sounds interesting Tag, which channel was it on?

BBC4  Last shown August 2013 - but my recording is from 2012.  That's how long it took me to get around to watching it.

I think it has also been shown in North America.

There is a DVD available of season 1 (UK) and season 2 (USA).

BBC4  Last shown August 2013 - but my recording is from 2012.  That's how long it took me to get around to watching it.

I think it has also been shown in North America.

There is a DVD available of season 1 (UK) and season 2 (USA).

Thanks Tag, I'll see if I can get it on DVD. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...