Sign in to follow this  
MisterHobgoblin

Slade House

Slade House is a short novel comprising five sections, each set on the last Saturday in October, starting in 1979 and then at nine year intervals. That means the last section is set on 31 October 2015. That's TODAY!!!!!!

Wow!

If only the novel were as good as its timing. Because, in truth, Slade House is a bit of a disappointment. It is set in the same world as Bone Clocks, with the same semi-super-natural beings implacably opposed to one another; the same conceit of innocent bystanders getting their moment to tell their story before being sucked into the bigger plot, the same smattering of period details to create atmosphere. In this case, the narrative drive is a cast if characters visiting a strange house, accessible through a tiny iron door in a blind alley...

Just like Bone Clocks, each story starts out quite normally and then takes a swerve for the surreal. Oh, and each story is sort of linked to the previous one with new characters building up some form of collective knowledge. But the background story elements are too short and decrease with each subsequent section - by 2006 they barely exist at all. The characters never feel three-dimensional. And the story element of each section is thin to the point of anorexia. And the bigger story is as big a lot of nonsense as the Bone Clocks story - heck, David Mitchell hasn't even bothered to change the names...

To an extent, Slade House is a better novel than Bone Clocks; it lacks a lot of the frantic running around and the super-natural battles that were so dull in Bone Clocks. And whilst Slade House is a bit too thin, it's an easier flaw to carry off than the excessive length of Bone Clocks. However, the selling point of both novels is the basic idea - which was still new and fizzy in Bone Clocks but loses its sparkle when retold.

It's a puzzle to understand why Mitchell felt the need to write Slade House. Maybe he was disappointed by the reception of Bone Clocks and thought a reworking would salvage something. Maybe he had some rejected sections in draft and thought he could stitch them together for a sort of Halloween "Easter Egg". However, it comes at the expense of his reputation for each of his novels being substantially different. That's a pity.

I've recently read this, and can only conclude that Slade House exists because, even given the eclectic structure of most of David Mitchell's novels, he couldn't find a way to shoehorn the conceit behind the novel into The Bone Clocks. Either that, or he enjoyed writing about it so much he decided to have a standalone section.

The disappointment for me with this book was in the repetition; Mitchell has shown with previous works how he can stitch together wildly differing voices and styles into a coherent whole. Here, the first four sections of the novel are essentially retreads of the same story at 9 year intervals, and the voices were, by Mitchell's standards, remarkably similar to one another and echo voices he's used before. The final part introduces a major character from The Bone Clocks (who has, in turn, appeared elsewhere in Mitchell's canon) which provides the link into that novel and its world.

I reckon even Mitchell himself would say Slade House was a pretty slight work, it has all the hallmarks of a successful author letting his hair down and having a bit of fun. Mitchell fans like myself will find much to enjoy, those not so familiar with his work would be well advised to start elsewhere, I'd say with Ghostwritten or The Bone Clocks itself.

I agree with both MisterHobgoblin and Grammath. Slade House is an offshoot - which I none the less found compelling (in parts). But for a writer who has demonstrated such versatility in his other novels, it has to be considered a relative failure.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tay
      From the blurb on Amazon  - "'One of the most brilliantly inventive writers of this, or any country' (Independent) turns his unique eye on the dark end of the 1960s in his enthralling new novel, a story of music, dreams, drugs and madness, love and grief, stardom's wobbly ladder and fame's Faustian pact."

In the beginning there is desperation, the searching for sustenance for the body and the soul. There are trials and tribulations, soaring ethereal moments of musical connection, personal growth, awakenings and chemical enhanced imaginings. All fairly standard fare for a band on the rise in the swinging sixties.

To write a novel about the sixties Mitchell will have been well aware there was a huge rabbit hole of cliches he could have fallen foul of. The conundrum, to write about a rock band in the sixties, to populate it with the people and the sounds and images of the day but without turning each page into a tabloid headline diatribe.

Of course, this is David Mitchell, he deftly swerves round the obvious cliches but still paints a picture of London midst the time changing, free thinking, coffee bar to cocaine years that you will believe in. Enough name dropping to satisfy without saturating and suffocating the stories of the main characters.

There is a slightly odd sub plot involving an ancient being inhabiting the mind of one of the band members. For this reader, this sub plot was superfluous, it detracted from the story, the musical journey of the band.

Another annoying thing about any book of fiction about creativity is that as the reader you want to hear the music or see the paintings etc being described. Utopia Avenue’s music is very much a part of this story and I really wanted an accompanying CD so I could listen to the songs.

But these small gripes aside, I loved spending time with this band, as a lifelong music lover who has absolutely no musical talent it was good to indulge in that age old pastime of pretending it was me in the band.

• By Bill
      A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan’s California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified ‘dinery server’ on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation – the narrators of Cloud Atlas hear each other’s echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small. In his captivating third novel, David Mitchell erases the boundaries of language, genre and time to offer a meditation on humanity’s dangerous will to power, and where it may lead us.

• By megustaleer
      I have just finished the first chapter, and was greatly irritated when it finished in the middle of a sentence.

As it is widely known that the first half of the book consists of the beginning of six stories that continue in reverse order in the second half, ending with the story it started with, I sneaked a look at the start of the last chapter. Yes, the sentence continues there. A quick glance at the next story revealed that the second section seems to be a continuation of the letters in the earlier part.

The Temptation is to read the whole of each story straight off, as though it was just a series of short stories, and not bother with the order in which it is laid out.

Before I give in to this temptation, can someone tell me that there is a point to this strange construction? Am I going to miss something vital if I don't resist?
      At the moment I feel that D.M. just took half a dozen short manuscripts and
      divided each roughly in half, put them in two piles, stacked one on top of each other and said 'There's a book to set reviewers talking!'

It is not that I have any particular problem with unusually constructed books (I enjoyed 'Time's Arrow'), but I need to believe there's a point to it, and that it's not just a shot at a 'literary' award.
    • By Adrian
      I read CA a month ago and said then it needed another reading at least to get some of the nuances I missed the first time. Unfortunately for me, CA has come up too soon for me consider re-reading it, so I'll have to go with what I remember.

I don't recall every one of the six main characters having the same tattoo. I wasn't watching out for it, which is one of the reasons it needs at least one more read. Did I miss some? I thought one of the motifs running through the book was that the six all shared certain characteristics (and may even have been the same "soul").
    • By megustaleer
      I have just thrown the book across the room!

I was already annoyed by Tim Cavendish's train journey. First of all, getting 'past Saffron Walden' is a little disingenuous, implying as it does that the line runs somewhere near the town. It doesn't, it is nowhere near. Then Adelstrop? This may be my mistake, perhaps there is an Adlestrop on the way to Hull, but the only one I know is in Gloucestershire.

But , Aurora House I just couldn't stomach!!

I work in a Residential Care Home for the elderly, and train staff in various statutary subjects. Cavendish is subject to various types of abuse...all illegal. And restraint, also illegal. Threatened with the 'chemical cosh'...another form of abuse, illegal! This home cannot exist in this day and age, under the kind of inspection regime enforced by The Care Standards Agency. As this section of the book is supposedly set in roughly the present day, shouldn't the 'rest home' be a modern one, not a throw back to pre-war conditions?

And now the book is all battered and tatty from the force with which I hurled it against the door.