megustaleer

National Poetry Day 2015

On National Poetry Day 2013 woofwoof posted this thread   saying

National Poetry Day seems to become lower and lower in status as the years go by. I remember when the BBC would organise polls with a special TV programme with Griff Rhys Jones. Now, it's relegated to a thrice repeated piece on BBC Radio 4 Extra i.e. not even on Radio 4!

Happily Radio4 has reverted to properly celebrating the day this year, with lots of poetry all day, to be followed by an entire Poetry Season

Will you be listening to any of today's broadcast poem? - reading your own choice of poem)s)? - or even writing a few lines of poetry yourself?

If so, we'd love to hear your poetry choices.

Currently listening to Auden's 'On This Island'  on Radio 4 the first poem read from Part 1 of 9 of the Andrew Marr hosted series.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the day..   

Listening now since The Archers tonight, Wonderful.

So many poets I've never heard of.

Proud to be British.

I was very pleased to hear Casabianca**  being read 'straight', so often it is parodied.

Our U3A Poetry group had "Heroes" as it's theme at the last meeting, and one of the members did his own parody, so I had to redress the balance by reading the original (even though my voice wavers at the closing lines).

**otherwise known by the opening line "The boy stood on the burning deck"

I was very pleased to hear Casabianca**  being read 'straight', so often it is parodied.

Our U3A Poetry group had "Heroes" as it's theme at the last meeting, and one of the members did his own parody, so I had to redress the balance by reading the original (even though my voice wavers at the closing lines).

**otherwise known by the opening line "The boy stood on the burning deck"

Sorry meg but all I remember is.

The boy stood on the burning deck

Picking his nose like mad

He rolled them into little balls

And threw them at his mam and dad

Edited by Clavain