Conan Doyle and the Homburg-Wiesbaden district

Romanike

In his short story "The Horror of the Heights", Sir Arthur Conan Doyle lists fictional precursor of the Bermuda Triangle where aeroplanes seem to vanish into thin air:

"There are jungles of the upper air […] One of them lies over the Pau-Biarritz district of France. Another is just over my head as I write here in my house in Wiltshire. I rather think there is a third in the Homburg-Wiesbaden district."

Being a native of Wiesbaden, I wonder what made Doyle choose just this location. Was there perhaps any contemporary reference that might have served as his inspiration? Did Conan Doyle have any personal experience with the "district"?

• 1 month later...

In his short story "The Horror of the Heights", Sir Arthur Conan Doyle lists fictional precursor of the Bermuda Triangle where aeroplanes seem to vanish into thin air:

"There are jungles of the upper air […] One of them lies over the Pau-Biarritz district of France. Another is just over my head as I write here in my house in Wiltshire. I rather think there is a third in the Homburg-Wiesbaden district."

Being a native of Wiesbaden, I wonder what made Doyle choose just this location. Was there perhaps any contemporary reference that might have served as his inspiration? Did Conan Doyle have any personal experience with the "district"?

I've always wanted to know about the mystery of the triangle