Sign in to follow this  
Ragamuffin Gunner

Going Off Alarming

Just finished this, the second volume of memoirs from Danny Baker.  I appreciate that possibly Danny is not everyone's cup of tea, maybe a bit of a Marmite character, but he has long been a favourite of mine, from his football phone-in programmes firstly, then various radio ventures over the years, plus his knowledge and recollection of popular culture, music especially.

I read the first volume Going To Sea In A Sieve last year (or was it the year before) and really enjoyed that, plenty of laugh-out-loud moments and anecdotes.  What I really appreciated about his looking back to his childhood was that there was no misery or angst of the "I had the worst possible start in life" kind.  He openly admits that he had a wonderful upbringing, close and happy family in South London, and any tale involving his Dad usually had me chuckling away.

Where the first volume left us in Danny's early twenties, having covered his childhood and early forays into the music world (One Stop Record shop in London's West End - and a cracking story concerning Marc Bolan's shirt), volume two takes us through his TV and radio career of the Eighties and Nineties.

It is essentially anecdotes, but I do like the stories where his family are involved.

I suspect only fans of Danny Baker will be interested in this, and I sense a third volume coming along, but if you are only even vaguely aware of him, give it a go; you might enjoy it.

The only thing I would question (not wanting to seem TOO one-eyed about this) is why this autobiography is being put out over, so far two but probably three, volumes.  I would like to think that it is down to finding time amongst other commitments to do the whole thing in one weighty tome, rather than financial.  I would hope that Danny is better than that.

Having said that, I haven't paid anywhere near the asking price for either volume.