This book made a list that someone shared on Facebook (I think it was from National Public Radio) and so I decided to give it a try.  I'm very glad I did.  I found it compulsively readable, with a good plot and characters, always keeping in mind that it's a thriller.

The story revolves around a young woman, her ex-lover, a different man who works with her at the EU offices in Brussels, and a character who tells part of the story in the first person.  Most of the characters are either Swedish or American.  The young woman, her ex-lover, and the man at the EU offices are suddenly and inexplicably in terrible peril and it takes a long time for anyone to figure out why they are being targeted and how to deal with it.  This part of the story was very interesting. The resolution involves a brilliant anti-social 16-year old female hacker, who is from an affluent background in order to distinguish her from Lisbeth Salander, and a bit too much in the way of coincidence, including all of the parties converging on a tiny little island off the coast of Sweden which strains credulity.  But the writing was clear so that I understood all of the action and I found I didn't really mind it the mini-Lisbeth or the improbable final act.  In fact, I found the book was a page-turner at all times, but especially once I passed the halfway mark and figured out how some of the more obscure points fit together.  

I was a little anxious about this book because the summary made it seem as if it were going to be pushing an agenda.   As I've said before, I don't like being lectured even if I agree with the agenda-pusher.  

In this case, the book revolves around the terrible abuses that occur when you outsource war to third party "contractors."  I think those dangers are very real and suggest that we should never hire mercenaries.  The targeted parties found out that these mercenaries had tortured their prisoners in horrible ways, with videos and pictures, etc.  They don't spent a lot of time on it, but clearly they are shocked.  What was interesting, though, was what the various parties decided to do with the information about the torture. The official parties wanted to sweep it under the rug because they'd put a stop to that arrangement and felt terrible that these entirely-to-be-expected abuses had occurred.  Interestingly, they convinced the main characters that that was the right approach.  I was surprised by that and I thought it was a clever twist by the author.  It made me wonder what I would have done.

But don't let all this cryptic spoiler stuff make you think the book is too heavy.  It's not.  It's just a really engaging thriller.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By sasireader21
      If you could meet any character from any book, who would you get to know? I would love to chat with Hermione Granger from Harry Potter; I feel as though she would have interesting stories and that we could relate to each other easily.
    • By Khaled Talib
      Dear all, the first review of GUN KISS is in.

Take a deep breath, because Gun Kiss's special brand of high-octane action is on its way to market, and it's a hell of a ride especially recommended for thriller readers who like their action not only nonstop, but tempered with a bit of romance and a lot of world-hopping political confrontations.
      The tension begins in the first paragraph as a Lincoln re-enactment event in Washington, D.C. results in a hostage and a bomber intent on thievery. Rick achieves his goals with almost casual precision: it's clear he's not only planned his escapade down to the second, but that he's a pro.
      As a missing Deringer from The Ford Theatre Museum involves a host of special interests, the story heats up to become a globe-trotting series of escapades and encounters by disparate individuals who each harbor their own special interests.
      A network involved in piracy and smuggling, a monied Chinese drug trafficker who works out a deal that lands him in Tijuana, Goldie's strange party for the paparazzi, and Blake's need for a holiday away from intrigue and complications all join with a range of subplots designed to keep Gun Kiss unpredictable, unexpected, and sometimes unsettling as events keep on creating new connections and surprises.
      As a stolen artifact evolves into crimes surrounding a maniacal drug lord, challenges to U.S. and Mexican government relations, and deadly escapades that involve faked deaths and real kidnappings, readers experience a supercharged plot that grabs interest tightly and does not let go.
      The mark of a superior thriller lies in its ability to seamlessly transcend borders, boundaries, and special interests to provide a series of interwoven subplots that all come together in a satisfying crescendo of intrigue designed to keep readers on edge right up to the end.
      Take a deep breath before reading Gun Kiss. Its special brand of activity and complex personal and criminal interactions makes it hard to put down, and highly recommended for thriller and crime readers alike.

D. Donavan
      Senior Reviewer
      Midwest Book Review

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
      Hiya,
      My new thriller, GUN KISS,  will be released on 1 December, 2017. This thriller with a hint of romance features a protagonist who falls in love with a Hollywood movie star. But their relationship is not smooth sailing as a killer is stalking them. I've enjoyed writing GUN KISS and I hope you'll enjoy reading it. The novel will officially be released on 1 December first and will be available through Amazon - please click on the site's link at the top of the screen. 

GUN KISS BOOK LAUNCH
      Please join me to celebrate the launch of my new thriller, Gun Kiss.
      Lots of #kindle book prizes to be won!
      Here's the Facebook link for more details. Kindly RSVP. Thank you, and I hope to see you there! GUN KISS BOOK LAUNCH

Best wishes,'
      KT
      p.s. Hope you like the cover.

• By LXT
      Hi there,
      We have recently launched a new business with a new way of reading stories!  It's called Letters Across Time, where you receive stories from characters through the mail in actual letters.  There are free samples on the website, if you want to give it a try.  We would love to hear what book lovers think of this idea!

• By Khaled Talib
      This is an article about my upcoming thriller, Gun Kiss, published in Divine Magazine. The novel will be released by Imajin Books in Canada. 

Divine Magazine

Best wishes,
      Khaled

• By Cowboy1233
      One of my new favourite books this summer is called Red Notice. Based on a real story, the protagonist started his career at a Wall Street banker and later decided to invest in Russia where he made his money. Along the way, he exposes certain corruption in Russia which led to him and his colleagues escaping the country for their lives. One of his friends wasn't so lucky and ended up in jail and tortured to death. This is a story of high finance, murder and later becoming an activist to overcome the corruption in Russia. Definitely one of my new favourite thrillers 

If you ever want to read it, Amazon has it, Red Notice 

Edit: Above link is to  Amazon Canada
      BGO Amazon UK Link
      BGO Amazon US Link