This is my first Kazuo Ishiguro and I am mighty impressed.  The actual storyline of the book is good, but the subtle meanings are even better.

On the surface, this is the story of Axl and Beatrice, elderly Britons, trying to visit their grown son.  But they, like everyone else in this land, have lost their memories and only have the vaguest recollection of their son and even their personal stories, including their shared history.  So off they go on this very unclear quest and on their way, they meet up with a young boy (a Saxon), a soldier (also a Saxon), and Sir Gawain himself (a Briton).  In the end, they do not find their son, but their memories are beginning to return and then Beatrice goes on a journey by herself to the island where the son lives.  It turns out,

that in order to stop the near-constant carnage of the fighting between the Britons and the Saxons, Arthur decided to massacre of a large village of Saxon non-combatants, and then entered into a deal with the local dragon that it exude a mist that causes people to lose their memories, allowing the Britons and the Saxons to live peacefully together.  They know they are different, but they don't hate each other.  Sir Gawain has been left to guard the dragon and keep the memories vague.  The 2 Saxon characters are immune to the mist and so they remember and want revenge.  Finally, this journey was at least in part Beatrice's journey to death.

So, this book gracefully examines issues like how to deal with populations that live together, but have hated each other for generations; what is justified by war; the cleansing of the reputation of national heroes (a type of memory manipulation); the importance of memory to the human experience; and the deliverance of death.   By the time I got to the end of the book, I couldn't believe how many thorny issues had been explored by this little fable and never once did I think I had been lectured to.  In fact, what was interesting was how I couldn't decide the best answer to each issue.  Is it preferable to lose your memory and live peacefully or retain your memory only to embrace hatred?  Is the sacrifice of a innocents ever justified in order to end a war and does your answer change if the innocents belong to the group that "started it" (made me think about the discussion of the atom bombs used in WWII, but really, it's true of all wars).  Should we abandon the whole concept of national heroes, even when very flawed people have done very heroic things?  And is death a journey to be embraced or fought?  

The more I've thought about this book, the more I've liked and admired it.  Has anyone else read it? If not, please do and respond as quickly as possible.

There was some controversy over this book with many serious reviewers accusing the author of moving into the dreaded realm of fantasy.

Been on my tbr list since release, just waiting for the price to come down.

Well, it is fantasy, although possibly closer to a fable because there are hidden lessons all over the place.  Silly objection on their part.

• 5 weeks later...
I feel a sense of relief finishing this tedious book.

Kazuo Ishiguro can write. The Remains of the Day is a study of very human, well rounded characters deisplaying enormous pathos. Never Let Me Go told a long allegory in pitch perfect tones, building a connection between the reader and the characters.

So what went wrong with The Buried Giant? It starts well - an omniscient narrator bridging the gap between the reader and characters in ancient Saxon Britain. The main characters, Axl and Beatrice, converse in a chatty way; details of their way of life are gently drip-fed. Axl realises that people are getting forgetful; events of only a few weeks ago seem to be forgotten.

Then, the novel just starts to disintegrate into a bad pastiche of other writers and other genres.

Axl and Beatrice, for example, start to sound like the characters in Raymond Briggs's When The Wind Blows. Everything Axl says ends in "princess", and Beatrice hangs on his every word, even though he has little idea of what he is saying.

Then, Axl and Beatrice decide to set off on a journey to find their son. They think he has gone to a nearby village; they can't remember why they want to find him but following some altercation over a candle, they think the time is right to leave their Hobbit-like warren. We then find ourselves in the land of Monty Python and the Holy Grail as they head off across the countryside having a procession of encounters with Arthurian knights, crazy ferrymen, soldiers guarding a bridge, some creepy monks, and the list goes on. Some of these chaps then decide to tag along with Axl and Beatrice.

The way these characters seem to have no real lives; no means of support; no purpose other than to wait in the clearing to be found by our plucky adventurers is reminiscent of the Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks of Steve Jackson and Gary Gygax. At one point, in tunnels underneath a monastry (that is also some kind of doom machine whose mechanism is not very clearly explained), you can almost hear Kazuo Ishiguro rolling his twelve sided dice to determine what monster will be lurking behind each door.

Oh, and it's in this monastry/doom machine that we discover that nobody is quite who they say they are.

Then, after some mountains (where did they come from, the land was featureless and flat the day before), some ogres and a dragon later, it all kind of wraps up. They all get their memories back and remember that they have grievances and sorrows.

All this sounds quite frenetic, but the overwhelming sense is ennui. None of the characters has any depth; they just stand around talking to each other in long and repetitive speeches. There is a formula, repeated every thirty pages, of our travellers walking for a bit, discovering they are in great peril, and then escaping using strategically placed tools.

The ending adds some enigma to what was really just a terrible, derivative mishmash. There is a Question (with a capital Q) flagged up at the end in neon lights - would we be better off without our memories (i.e. should secrets remain buried?). And then the answer is set out in full - just in case readers can't work it out for themselves - that we are better off with memories even if some of them are unhappy ones.

Nevertheless, reading The Buried Giant is a memory I have no wish to retain.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By sasireader21
      If you could meet any character from any book, who would you get to know? I would love to chat with Hermione Granger from Harry Potter; I feel as though she would have interesting stories and that we could relate to each other easily.
    • By Rod Beecham
      Dear BGO Members,

I write to draw your attention to my eBook, ‘The Evidence of Our Senses’: Language, Belief and Britain’s Great War.    The book is the product of a student of English literature whose interest, in postgraduate years, turned more specifically to history and the relationships between language, patterns of thought and decision-making.   The book examines the confection of a British sense of national identity during the second half of the nineteenth century and relates this to the illogicality and irrationality of the British decision to intervene in the European war that broke out in 1914. It examines the language of English poetry of the war, avoiding the sterile labels of ‘pro-‘ and ‘anti-‘ war verse. It gives the most thorough account to date of Siegfried Sassoon’s 1917 protest against the war’s continuation, demonstrating that the incoherence of that protest is attributable to the incoherence of the war itself (i.e. there was nothing identifiable against which to protest). It reviews British military conduct of the war, demonstrating that the shortcomings of senior British commanders are attributable to their subscription to the meretricious value-system confected in the nineteenth century. It reviews the Treaty of Versailles, confirming both that the Treaty was an improvisation and that the tenets of economic orthodoxy are fundamentally incompatible with a world-view that accepts the possibility of war. It reviews the factitious ‘war-books’ controversy of 1930 and indicates that latter-day attempts to attribute negative British perceptions of the First World War to the influence of a handful of literary works are recrudescences of the mind-set that created the war itself. In this sense, the book is an allegory of the contemporary Zeitgeist.   An earlier version of Chapter One appeared as, ‘Confecting a British Identity’, in The New Nationalism and the First World War, ed. Lawrence Rosenthal and Vesna Rodic (Basingstoke and New York, NY: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015), pp. 19-46. An earlier version of Chapter Three was delivered as the paper, ‘Gesture and experience in “patriotic” and “anti-war” poetry’, at the English Association Conference, ‘British Poetry of the First World War’, at Wadham College, Oxford in September 2014. An earlier version of Chapter Seven appeared as, ‘Fiction and Memoir of Britain’s Great War: disillusioned or disparate?’, in the European Review of History: Revue européenne d’histoire, 22:5, 791-813.   In an age of ‘fake news’ and labyrinthine relativism, I believe my book is extremely important. At the very least, it could start a discussion about the nature of truth and how we are to establish it. I think that is a discussion we need to have.  
      I hope I have not committed a solecism by advertising my work here.  Of course, I hope that people will be interested in my book, but I understand that advertisements can be irritating!

Kindest regards,

Rod Beecham
    • By lunababymoonchild
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41513246
    • By Ting Mikyunyu
      MADDADDAM is the last in the Oryx and Crake trilogy.

It is set during the year following the “waterless flood”, the disease engineered by Crake to wipe out humanity. The flood left behind isolated human groups and individuals that begin to find each other. Not all of them are as ‘good’ as the few surviving God’s Gardeners. The ‘ungood’ are a trio of ‘Painballers’ - killer criminals who survived the ultimate penalty of the justice system.

The most important group of survivors are the Crakers, the humanlike beings engineered by Crake to replace the human race. Unfortunately, the Crakers are ill-equipped to handle evil, having been created without any understanding of wrongness and without fear. They are - at least for now - naked, vegetarian, having an unusual mating habit, a natural insect repellent, and a unique vocal structure that allows them to purr (for healing purposes) and to sing. They can also speak.

This novel gathers together all the separate threads from ‘Oryx and Crake’ and ‘The Year of the Flood’. The technique for this is storytelling, as in the stories told by Toby, a God’s Gardener, to the Crakers, after an incident that draws the two groups together for mutual support. As they learn to cooperate in a rapidly disintegrating environment, they soon realise that they cannot continue much longer without assistance. The Painballers are an approaching threat. With the telepathic, interpretive skills of the Crakers, Pigoons (a species created by splicing human intelligence into pigs brains) become a cooperating partner.

The storytelling of Toby (a middle-aged woman) becomes less prominent as the action intervenes. As a technique it could have been boring but Atwood writes it in a unique way, so effective that from it we learn a great deal about the Crakers without them having to utter a word. An example of the beginning of a Toby story:

MaddAddam is a fitting finale to this trilogy. Atwood’s imagination remains at peak level to the conclusion. Her similes continue to astound. Her sense of colour continues to enhance our imagination. Her humour and wit remain unabated. Her predictions of what is to come - what is almost upon us - are as horrifyingly plausible as ever.
    • By Chantel_Seabrook
      Raised in the backwater province of Crowthorne, Cara finds her fate bound to a system she despises and a goddess she no longer believes in. When it becomes clear that the heir to the Elbian throne has found disfavor in the eyes of the goddess Annul, Cara is ordained by blood and required by law to take her cousin's place as heir apparent.
      One man from each of the twelve provinces are chosen by the royal council to pledge their lives and swords as champions and consorts of the future queen. From these men, Cara must choose the future king of Elbia. Before she is able to take her place on the throne, Cara and her Twelve must visit each province and perform a sacred ceremony, one that will make Cara question everything she thought was real.

Cara soon realizes that not all of the men who swore to protect her are what they seem, and there are those who would use her as a tool to gain power.