Colouring books for adults

I wasn't sure where to put thus thread - has anyone noticed or joined in the current trend for adult colouring in?

I picked up a book and a lovely set of pens in WH Smith at the weekend, and I am hooked. It's very restful and therapeutic. I'm sure it's just a fad and it will pass, but I'm glad I have given it a go as it's a lot of fun and quite addictive. I'm about to take delivery of a big pile of marking for the exam authority and it might act as a welcome respite from yet another essay on the advantages and disadvantages of social media. The only problem is that it's eating into my reading time!

I have seen these and I think it's great.  There a lot of books to choose from and, of course, a lot of colouring materials - I saw day-glo pencils today in Waterstones!   I haven't taken it up as I already have what seems to be a lot of hobbies as it is and I did a great deal of colouring in when I was a child.

It does eat into your reading time but I'm sure that you can reach a happy balance.

I am currently hanging on to a cupboardful of watercolours, pastels & associated "stuff" that I haven't used for years because I can't admit to myself that I won't need them in the future. But I desperately need to shed anything surplus to actual requirementts in readiness for our proposed 'downsizing'.

Maybe colouring books and pencils would fill that space in my life  - without filling so much space in my house?

Or I might be able to fool myself into thinking they will. :unsure:

You can get some very inexpensive colouring materials - pens, pencils, crayons etc - in the Pound Shop and they do have some very nice colouring books that are just patterns. Naturally aimed at children but they look really good. Waterstones, as I mentioned, are also selling the books for adults and some quality colouring materials. I was tempted yesterday to buy the day-glo pencils but managed to refrain.

• 2 weeks later...

I took a couple of Altair pattern books with me when we were on holiday last week (left over from the days when there were children in the house), also a set of Lakeland Painting Pencils.

One morning, when waiting for Mr meg to return from somewhere so we could go on an outing together (I seem to spend a lot of time waiting fror Mr meg, and usually resort to investigating the contents of the cake/biscuit tins) I decided to have a little go at colouring in one of the pages. It was sufficiently engrossing to pass nearly an hour without feeling the urge to nibble, but frustrating as the pencils are quite blunt and I only had a rubbish sharpener with me - in fact none of the sharpeners we possess do a decent job
Can anyone recommend an effective, fairly inexpensive pencil sharpener that is readily available from high street stationers?

In fact, can anyone suggest the best type/brand of pencil for this particular use  (and at the best value for money)?

I took a couple of Altair pattern books with me when we were on holiday last week (left over from the days when there were children in the house), also a set of Lakeland Painting Pencils.

In fact, can anyone suggest the best type/brand of pencil for this particular use  (and at the best value for money)?

I'm glad we inspired you, meg!  :)

I bought an decent set of 36 pencils from WH Smith (own brand) for about £7. Now I need to learn to shade.

My sharpener is rubbish, though ...

• 3 weeks later...