Sign in to follow this  
Biochemisty-n-Classics

Scanning reference books into e-books using DIY Scanner

I just got a hold of a number of reference books and language books that I'd love to be able to have on me on a regular basis, such as loaded to my phone but the ebook version doesn't exist or I don't want to pay extra money for it because I already own the physical book.   I saw this link about building your own scanner using cardboard boxes for wedges, a tripod and a camera, and glass or plexiglass to hold the book pages down.  http://en.flossmanuals.net/e-book-enlightenment/scanning-book-pages/

I actually gave it a shot tonight but the glass planes from the pictures frames I bought are a bit too heavy for the book so I'm going to try to go to the hardware store to build the platen with the much lighter plexiglass.

Has anyone else thought of doing this?  

Actually, no, because the procedure constitutes copyright infringement and is illegal.

Actually no its not.  I purchased the books and I am using them.  Not downloading them or sharing them with others.  It falls under fair use.  There is an article here about the libraries winning a suit as well but they were sharing the books for educational purposes.  The site featured in the article is how I was able to read the 1898 version of Futility by Morgan Robertson.  

http://www.wired.com/2012/10/fair-use-book-scanning/

Edited to add this link which explains fair use as seen in the eyes of the court in this case

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/06/another-fair-use-victory-book-scanning-hathitrust

Of course this is US law so it may be different elsewhere.  

There is another here where someone in the US did research and reached some kind of consensus.

http://www.ericmackonline.com/ica/blogs/emonline.nsf/dx/is-it-legal-to-scan-your-books-to-read-on-a-tablet-pc

Edited by Biochemisty-n-Classics

This is quite amazing. I can't imagine going to those lengths!

I have used a scanner app on my phone to convert scanned pages into text for some poetry I was teaching. Ebook versions were no good as I needed to maniplulate the text, put it into Powerpoints etc. I found the phone app quite useful.

Note that the case in #3 applies to universities, not to private persons.

Actually no its not.  I purchased the books and I am using them.

Stephen King had an answer to this. It was like saying "Since I have the hardcover, you should give me the paperback free."

"3. Generally, only a limited portion of a work may be copied, and the portion of a work being copied should be appropriate to the need.
it is usually not permitted to copy an entire or significant portion of a publication or work that is still under copyright without permission of the copyright holder, although there are rare situations where a more extensive use may be permissible."

http://www.middlebury.edu/about/handbook/library/copyright

In short: What you are asking for is illegal.

Edited by Romanike

I have looked and looked online and cannot find any legal precedent for people making digital copies for personal use. I remember that in the days of vinyl records, it was permissible for the owner of records to make tape recordings for personal use. I suspect if a case were brought for an illegal personal e-copy of a text owned by a private citizen (and I can't imagine such a case being brought), it would be argued that only one copy of the text was being accessed at a time and always by the purchaser of the book, therefore the e-copy was just a medium used to access the purchased text. This would be no different in concept to reading a book aloud to children. 

Have never given a thought on this. I usually buy books and read those because I love collecting the novels and books. But one of my friend is having a book scanner and he was really happy with it. There are many publication and books that you want to access regularly. Its not in-convenient to carry them daily to your class, library, or to place them on your table. But making them in a digitized form can solve this issue very well as you just have to take your laptop/storage drive to read or refer to them anytime anywhere. Further, it also cuts the cost of buying the book you can ask your friend to buy one book and you buy the other one. Both of you scan it up and share the scanned copy with each other.

Edited by Lida