Sign in to follow this  
Biochemisty-n-Classics

Futility (1898 version)

I was able to get a hold of an electronic copy of Morgan Roberson's first version of the story printed in 1898.   I then found an electronic version of the 1912 version (through Project Gutenberg) and I really like the first version better mainly the ending.

I didn't like the part in the middle of the story though it felt like a Sherlock Holmes kind of set up and was a bit too convenient for my liking but the end (of the original version was somewhat refreshing,)  I didn't like the ending of the second story because it doesn't fit the end of the story.  Sort of like the end of that Stranger Than Fiction movie.

I don't see the huge fascination with his story and the Titanic yes there are a number of coincidences that match but the story is mainly about the sailor and his former lover not about the boat itself.

Has anyone else read this story?

Yeah, I've had a paperback copy for ages.  Even if the story is mainly a melodrama, I still find the Titanic parallels a little disturbing.  However, synchronicity and coincidence do happen and I do not believe there was any weird and sinister plot by the White Star Line to make a dramatic insurance-fraud reality from a fiction.  Mine is the 1898 version.  There's tonnage of speculation about the Titanic and there always will be.